Notices

Pet Peeves

Old 02-02-2011, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Default Pet Peeves

Okay I wanted to hear about pet peeves. I know we all have some things that drive us nuts, lets get it off our chest.

These are a few of mine, in no particular order.

1) WHY DO SOME PEOPLE FEEL THE NEED TO DRIVE THEIR CAR WITH TWO FEET (talking about autos, not standard transmission)? It never fails, I get behind some old person (I'm sorry but it's true, it's never the young people that I see doing this) that insists on drving with two feet, and guess where they rest their left foot? ON THE BRAKE PEDAL!!!! IMO they might as well disconnect the brake light b/c you have NO IDEA when they are actually hitting the brake since the light has been on for 90% of the trip.

2) OUTSOURCING & AUTOMATED SYSTEMS!!!! True story... I recently bought a stove from Sears and the cook top looked messed up. I open the phone book and call the LOCAL Sears, at the mall RIGHT DOWN THE STREET FROM MY HOUSE. I hit prompt #1 for English. After going through what seemed to be 30,000 prompts I finally said "representative" and I was transferred. "Bob" picks up the phone and right away, I know he's not "Bob". I understand every other word that he speaks and he understands every 3 or 4 words that I speak. At that point I scratch my head and wonder why the unemployment rate is so high in the U.S. of A.! I then ask "Bob" where's he's located b/c I'd like to speak to someone at the mall, that was so quick to take my money. "Bob" tells me that for security reasons he can not tell me where he's from. After we struggle to understand each other, I ask if I could speak to someone a little more local, perhaps in the same country, since I DIALED THE LOCAL NUMBER. He was nice enough to transfer me to "Tom", Tom understood every other word out my mouth, so I was almost grateful to be "on the same page" with the person on the other end of the phone.

All of this makes wolder what are we coming to. What's next????

"911, if your house is on fire, please press 1. If you've been in an accident, please press 2, If there has been a home invasion please press 3"
Presses 3
"Great, thanks! Now so I can better assist you, please let me get some additional information. [long pause] On your touch tone keypad, please enter the amount of intruders"
Presses 2
"Great, thanks! Now so I can better assist you, please let me get some additional information. [long pause] If intruder number 1 is armed, please press 1"
Presses 1
"Great, thanks! Now so I can better assist you, please let me get some additional information. [long pause] If intruder number 2 is armed, please press 1"
Presses 1
"Great, thanks! Please hold while we transefer your call to the local police department." [long pause]
"We are experiencing a higher than usual call volume, please hold and your call will be answered in the order it was received" [long pause]
"Thank you for holding, this is "Bob"...."

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-02-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

LMAO!! Both of those are great!!

On the subject of driving, slowwww people in the fast lane!!! Isn't it common knowledge that the far left lane on the highway is the fast lane/passing lane? I'm not a super fast driver, but I am usually one of the faster ones, so MOVE over when you see someone riding your tail. Or better yet if you are doing the speed limit or under, just don't get in this lane.

The misuse of your & you're, and there and their. Not sure why, but this just bugs me.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Oh Mike, you are funny.

Ok I have a major pet peeve and that is people who chew their gum loudly. I ... CAN'T... STAND... IT!!!!!! It drives my ears crazy. I personally despise gum and would never put one in my mouth but usually I can stand it in others provided they chew at a regular to low volume but when I can hear the chewing and the smacking sounds and then GOD FORBID those who CLICK their gum, then I just can't take it and I have to get away or I will lose my sh*t.

I know I am weird. It's been said.

Oh and I hate those automated systems too!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Your write williamscouple! I just except that when people post there probably not to worried about it.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

ROFLMAO!!!

Oh, my, I am in a mood for this today.

Driving peeves: People who know the lane is going to end, yet wait till the last minute to cut over. Tailgaters. People who drive below the speed limit. People who engage in personal hygiene while driving. Kids bouncing around in the car without seatbelts. People who take up more than one parking space.

Grammar peeves: Terrible grammar gets under my skin and I think it bothers me more than anything else! Here goes: Using an apostrophe to make a plural. Sentence fragments (yes, technically, these are fragments, but it's more of a list). Improper use of "less" and "fewer" - 20% less calories = NO!! 20% FEWER calories. Confusing "it's" and "its." Using quotation marks unnecessarily (e.g., Today's "Special" Sale). "Where's my socks?" instead of "Where are my socks?" "I will do it on tomorrow" instead of "I will do it tomorrow." OMG, grammar, the list goes on and on!

Miscellaneous peeves: People who let their dogs bark and bark and bark some more...do you not hear that? People who scream at/smack their kids in public. People who do not listen to the detailed message you took the time to leave them before they call you back. People who mark their messages 'urgent' when they aren't. People who let something sit on their desks for a week, then tell you they need your part the next day.

Wow, Mike, you opened up a can of worms! I must be having a more stressful day than I thought. Sorry for the soapbox
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Your write williamscouple! I just except that when people post there probably not to worried about it.
Hehe
Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 AM
FitDay Member

I teach in the public schools......

can I just name my #1 peeve? Parents who refuse to be parents. My message is simply BE THE PARENT. Stop telling me that you can't do anything to control your child's behavior!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

oh I have another...

People that bring their bad a$$ kids to a restaurant and ignore them while they act up. I want to tell them "Just b/c you've had 3 years to learn how to ignore them, that doesn't mean the rest of us can."
Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
FitDay Member

Lol, this is too funny! Here are some of mine:

1) Driving: People who don't use their blinker (very common where I live), people who take 20 years to make a RIGHT turn, people who decide that a decision on the part of another driver to pass him (sorry to the gentlemen, but 99% of the time, it's a dude who'll act this way) on the interstate is an immediate affront to his manhood, which MUST be addressed by refusing to let the other driver pass.... and then gets even angrier when a subcompact manages to pass his SUV anyway... hehehe

2) Fashion: Ok, the disclaimer here is that I typically don't care what people wear, and I have no idea what's currently in style. With that said... This semester, I've gone back to school 4 years after getting my B.A., and I have to tell you, I am appalled at what some of these people actually wear to class... I mean, sweatpants, dirty t-shirts - it makes me crazy! It's as if they don't have the self-respect to get dressed, much less look *decent*, for the very thing that most of them will spend years paying off. It's a weird thing, but it makes me absolutely nuts.

Haha, that's all for today. I had fun reading all of y'all's.

Last edited by changeisgood29; 02-02-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
FitDay Member

I have to say email language is my biggest pet peeve. I have people who respond to emails in enormous letters or all caps. Better yet one person puts a question mark at the end of every sentence when the response is not a question. I have someone at my work that does that all the time and it drives me nuts. Just because your confused in your head doesn't mean you have to respond with a question mark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.