Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Share your plateau stories / ask your plateau questions >

Share your plateau stories / ask your plateau questions

Notices

Share your plateau stories / ask your plateau questions

Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

I have learned that I can NOT weigh myself everyday. Or even every week because it gets me too frustrated.

I recommend taking progress pics so you can see the changes when the scale refuses to budge. Also taking measurements along the way can show your progress since muscle weighs more than fat and it takes up less room!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I have learned that I can NOT weigh myself everyday. Or even every week because it gets me too frustrated.

I recommend taking progress pics so you can see the changes when the scale refuses to budge. Also taking measurements along the way can show your progress since muscle weighs more than fat and it takes up less room!

Yeah i really need to learn from you! I have weighed myself everyday this week and i am up! It is very aggravating...However i know why- i need to watch what i am eating more!

I am strength training but not crazy amounts- hoping this isnt making me gain!

However i did take progress pictures a little while ago..and am looking forward to taking them at the start of april...when i'll be down another 10lbs!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

X

Last edited by uga09; 05-05-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 AM
FitDay Member

Robert;
I have been on a plateau (more like a small hill) since October. This has been completly self induced letting some of my old habits creep back in, over indulging over the holidays and allowing the weather to affect my activity level. I am now back on track but it is less satisfying to be hitting those numbers that I previously had conquered.

I was wondering what your protein intake was? I find that I lose better when my protein is at least 30% of my calories.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by uga09
I am very jealous of anyone who is able to not weigh themselves daily. I know about how much your weight can move everyday. But I guess with as hard as I am trying to do everything right (and no help from any "professionals") I am afraid that my efforts might be misguided and the sooner I find that out the sooner I can adjust and do well again.

The other interesting thing I have thought about and am interested in everyone's opinion is this: the 33 lbs I have lost so far is about the same amount of weight I put on after school over the last 2.5 years. Would it make sense that if this was "newer" weight that it would come off more easily than the 20-30 lbs that I gained over the preceding 4 years?

Robert
Robert, sounds like you're doing pretty well. I'm no expert, but I don't think fat comes off in sequential order (of course, I could be wrong). I do think that weighing every day is unwise during the weight loss process. In order to maintain, a daily weight check might be beneficial.

Really, my advice is to trust the math. If you have a pretty good estimate of your daily calorie burn and have been honest about your calorie intake your average loss should be pretty close to what your calorie deficit predicts (of course, there will be the occasional plateau, which is often followed by a good loss). It is the average over time we are really concerned about, not the small daily fluctuations.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-28-2011, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
The diet doc's explanation of plateaus (2 weeks or more of no weight loss) was the that for most people, it is the body saying, "hang-on here, I need to catch-up and adjust my metabolism". His recommendation was to up the calorie intake to around, (maybe a little below) your daily maintenance requirement for a week or two, then return to your reduced calorie diet.
This is actually what I use to do to break through plateaus. Five or six days at maintenance levels generally did it for me. But I had to learn this on my own.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default How would Lebowski handle this?

Originally Posted by uga09

Albie: just wondering but what is the average total of calories you are consuming a day?

Thanks Everyone!
Robert...When I am being aggressive about things, I shoot for a 1000 calorie daily calorie deficit. (Point of reference---My weekly aggregate calorie deficit has ranged from 3000 up to 8000 calories.) However, I do allow myself swings in behavior, indulging more heavily one day as a reward, knowing that the next day I will be more vigilant and restrictive. I also factor in my activity level and the cals burned, generally running the calorie balance report and recording my daily calorie deficit just before hitting the hay.

So, if I have indulged a bit more in the food arena, I compensate for it by working out longer or stronger. Also, remember that many short term plateaus or minor weight gains can be attributed to fluid retention and/or bulk retention in the lower GI tract. (I am being polite here. ) On the flip side, increased fluid and bulk elimination has a positive effect when you stand in judgment by the all knowing Toledo meter.

One time, when asked how he was doing, a wiser man than me once said, “Ah, you know. Strikes and gutters, ups and downs.” – the Dude.

Stay vigilant. Stay focused. Stay disciplined. Good things will happen!

Rock on everyone.........Albie
Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

It may be because I'm female, but I seem to hit a plateau/weight gain every 28 days or so

It actually made me STOP weighing myself daily -- I now am trying to maintain weighing every Monday and Friday (mostly to assess how I am doing during the weekends versus weekdays, since my eating habits are different on the weekends - tend to be two larger meals (brunch and dinner) rather than breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks) but... plateaus happen.

There's great advice here. There's always something OTHER than the number on the scale to keep you motivates - clothing, measurements, even people saying "hey, that shirt fits you better now!"
Old 01-28-2011, 04:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Good advice, Albie. When I was heavier I was running a weekly deficit of around 17,500. Now I figure I'm right around 10,500. The math says I should be losing 3 lbs a week and that is very, very close to my actual average weekly loss.

Gutters and Strikes!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

x

Last edited by uga09; 02-07-2012 at 05:21 AM.