Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Setting a Goal Weight >

Setting a Goal Weight

Community
Notices

Setting a Goal Weight

Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

I started at 280 so getting down to 180 seems like a nice round number I've been there before so I know it's possible. it'll just take some time !!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

@cjohnson728
I was just looking through old posts and saw this one. I bet it feels awesome to have achieved your goal. Congrats and keep on truckin'.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Hi Everybody! I am looking for input on how to set a good goal weight. I started tracking on 1/5/10 and this site has been SO helpful. As of today I have lost 8 pounds!

How do you all determine a good "goal" weight? Do you shoot for the middle of the healthy weight range, for the middle of the BMI range, or for a weight that has been good for you in the past? I have yo-yo'd for years, probably because I never had a clear goal in mind other than to "lose some weight."

I read that most women feel best with a BMI about 21, so I calculated that as my goal weight, but I really have no idea what would be best.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Cassie

Hi Cassie,
What I would suggest you is to find what your body frame is (small, medium or large); depending on this, you will want to aim to the low end, middle or high end of the healthy body weight for your height. You can calculate your body frame here based on the diameter of your wrist.
Body Frame - Free Calculator to find your Body Frame

Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default goal weight

how i did it was i set a goal weight that i remember being comfortable with in the past...i didn't set my goal weight as my perfect 22 year old body weight, but about 7lbs more than that (I'm short so 7lbs is rather a lot). i think for me, when i get to weight where at least feel comfortable in my skin, i will see if i'm up to the ultimate fitness challenge of reaching and maintaining a weight where i was in peak physical fitness. good luck everybody!

start weight 146
current weight 135.8
goal weight 117
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

yauncin, thanks! It does feel awesome to be at goal. More so because it just feels good to feel healthy and to be making choices by second nature and not by force! I am 42 and I wore my first bikini ever this summer on vacation.

I am actually maintaining at a weight that is lower than my original goal. I didn't so much decide to "keep going" once I got to my goal as I just made better choices and my exercise level stayed high. My body just kind of settled itself here, so I guess the goal was arbitrary.

vsabino, yes, I have seen every site there is about the recommended weight, BMI, etc., but there was really no way to tell till I got there how I felt. I also shifted over from a "goal weight" to a goal body fat, although I know the body fat scales are not necessarily accurate. Right now mine says I've just passed the "fitness" range into the "athlete" range, but again, no telling how accurate it is.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 PM
FitDay Member

To stay committed to your weight loss, you need to be focused. It takes a lot of mental and physical energy to change your habits. There are lots of ways to lose weight. But if you plan to lose more than 15 to 20 pounds, or if you take medication regularly, you should be evaluated by your doctor before beginning your plan. Your doctor or registered dietitian can help you arrive at a sensible weight loss goal.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

It's an old thread but I'll add this. I recently found this calculator for "Ideal Weight". This will give someone an idea of what this number looks like, anyway.

Body Weight, Fat & BMI - Add to your homepage