Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Did You Exercise Today???

Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Keily664
Thank you for your input i just have one question. What is weight/ resistance training?? I keep hearing it but I have never fully understood what it was.
Check out the Bodybuilding.com site. Lots of good information there about exercises and diets and lots articles and stories by women.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS
Our rowing class was out in singles today, with the coach coming around in a launch to watch us. She corrected part of my stroke and then said "you are very coordinated." !! This is, I think, the very first time in my life that a coach or PE-type teacher said I was coordinated. (I am 56.) I thought I was a complete klutz because I couldn't catch or hit a ball. Just shows there is a sport for everyone, but it may take a while to find it.
I remember when you started rowing back in June. You've come a long way in a short amount of time! Congratulations.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Oye!!!

Today I found this old Wii game called, "My Fitness Couch". It's great I got to put in all my measurements and my weight and it keeps track of it. I did some intervals for upper body working today. Planning on doing some riding on my cycle this afternoon.

Hope everyone is doing good!!

LOVE ALL,
Kaitlyn

ONE MORE THING: Okay so last night when I did my run for a little over a quarter of a mile my hip started hurting and it has never fully gone away. What should I do?? Besides the normal heating pad/ice pack.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS
I thought I was a complete klutz because I couldn't catch or hit a ball. Just shows there is a sport for everyone, but it may take a while to find it.
I love this comment Jaime! I couldn't agree with you more. I think most girls think of themselves as klutzs because they don't measure up to the "star" atheletes. This is really unfortunate because it limits girl's access to one of the best things in life - playing! Run, jump, chase, tussle, all things we really do not need to grow out of.

Perhaps that's why your DD is asking to join you at the gym - look how much fun mom's having... I gotta get some of that in my life!!!

Hey Ron, you must be very near your mini-goal by now!? Your consistency at the gym is inspiring.

Ladymiseryali, walking is one of the best exercises ever! Glad to see you here. Any particular goals in mind?

And welcome back Kaitlyn, so nice to see you again. I think you would get a kick out of weight lifting. Do you have access to a gym or weightroom at school? If not, there are lots of ways to do resistance training without a gym, but you need to be a little more creative.

And Me? CrossFit - it being 9-11 we did one of the "Hero" workouts. Hero workouts are unusually long for a XFit WO. It was a count down WO, starting with 21 reps each: squat clean (55#), double-under jump rope, 20" box jump, and deadlifts (120#), followed by a 50m "walk" on all 4's, called a "bear crawl".

Once you finish that you start all over again for 18reps, then 15reps, 12,9, 6 and 3reps. It took me 41mins and I needed several breaks both within the reps and inbetween the movements. WHEW!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
FitDay Member

Pam: I am sorry to say that I DO NOT in fact have access to a gym period. So it's up to me and my 1lb. hand weights I guess.

Just got done with my cycling about 14, I did it for that long cause that's how long it took me to read my science homework, did I mention I'm homeschooled??

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK EVERYONE!!!

LOVE ALL,
Kaitlyn
Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

ONE MORE THING: Okay so last night when I did my run for a little over a quarter of a mile my hip started hurting and it has never fully gone away. What should I do?? Besides the normal heating pad/ice pack.
When I started to work out again my hip would also hurt. Just because I hadn't asked the muscle to run for so long. You'll need to judge if this is just muscle ache or something more serious. Ibuprofen like ADVIL will help with minor inflamation and pain. Give it time to recover between workouts, I get the feeling you have been working out daily, sometimes you need to give your body a chance to rebuild and catch up.

Pam;
The HERO workout sounds like a killer! Way to go! I am close to my mini-goal of 225# but not there yet.

Last night: LEGS (Reps/Sets)
Dumbbell Squats: 3/6 55# x2
Barbell Straight leg Deadlift: 3/6 115#
Leg extensions maching: 3/6 160# (Personal Best)
Leg Curl Machine: 3/6 120# PB
Seated Leg press machine: 3/6 162.5#
Hanging straight Leg Raises: 2/10
Twisters (Like side crunches on the Back extension stand): 2/10
Elliptical: 5 min, level 6 pre-weights, 35 min, level 6 HIIT post-weights

This was the best I have felt on the elliptical on a leg day. Did exactly 3 miles in 35 minutes which puts my average speed at 5.15 mph.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

This sound like a little hip flexor tension - I get that too. It usually isn't a bad thing, but can get annoying. One of the best things for it is to stretch the hip flexors AFTER you run. Lunges, "runners stretches" and wide legged squats will help. You should be able to find them on the web, or check out "Runners World" for injury prevention.

Regarding the lack of gym: There is a bunch of resistance/weight lifting you can do without a gym. Push-up (knees or toes), leg lifts, crunches, hollow rocks for abs, air squats, back extensions (by tucking your feet under a low chair or couch). Milk jugs are a great substitute for dumbbells, and jumping rope will get your heart rate up in a hurry.

I bet with some creativity you and your family can even come up with a science project on how many calories various exercises burn, or how much water you lose or need during exercise.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
Pam;
The HERO workout sounds like a killer! Way to go! I am close to my mini-goal of 225# but not there yet.

This was the best I have felt on the elliptical on a leg day. Did exactly 3 miles in 35 minutes which puts my average speed at 5.15 mph.
I am paying for that workout today! I am as sore as I have been in a long time . Back, shoulders, legs, abs, even my jaw from gritting my teeth.

Nice job on the elliptical Ron. I have tried elliptical running a couple of times when I stay at hotels and it is are really workout! 5.15 mph is quite a pace - WOW
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM
FitDay Member

I did over 30 minutes of pilates workouts that focus on the thighs. Then I worked out my almost year old cat, which actually got my heart pumping too. So go me!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 AM
FitDay Member

I’m back! Monday and Tuesday I added one more life complication, my sister was staying with – she’s awesome, but I did have to be polite to someone early AM – however, I cut my pre court stop at the office and got two nice runs in – it’s New England fall right now, the most beautiful season, amazing crisp air – and a touch of early color in the leaves – feels great for a sunrise run, and sunrise isn’t early. Neither run was fast, but both were hilly. Before Tuesday’s run, my sister asked “and your knees don’t bother you?” “not yet” I responded – curse her – I had to stop and walk to finish that one, and today, it’s got worse, I did a hilly 1.4 miles on the treadmill, and then switched to a bke (where I beat the director of fitness’s time!), getting off the bike a the office, when I transferred my weight to my left knee as I stepped down, it almost gave up. It’s not really painful expect when I treat it hard, so I’ll be nice to it for a few days.

Good to be back (I’ll be blogging about Jury Duty, and will send those who are interested the link, it was fascinating!)

Ron, you’ are wonderfully consistent!

Pam – you’re track intervals sound challenging – that groove is amazing when it happens.

Welcome Lady Misery! GO YOU!

Jamie – I know what you mean – I’ve never been called coordinated, nor graceful – amazing when it happens.

Kaitlyn, too bad no gym for you, I didn’t take advantage and hated every minute of gym in high school, but it sure wasn’t optional – that’s a loss.

Be Strong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.