Community
Notices

Early 40's Mom getting frustrated

Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

Hi,

I am also in my early forties and have decided to make a change. I work out with the wii and every chance i get, I march in place. I march folding laundry, peeling potatoes etc...I have seen 5 pounds come off in the last couple of weeks but I need to control my diet more, which I am hoping Fitday can help me with. I wish all of you luck.

Tina
Old 04-17-2010, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! I'm new to Fitday. I'm so glad I found this thread! If there wasn't already one started for women 40 and over I was going to start one myself! I am 46 and have two kids ages 14 & 11. I'm currently 161 lbs and would love to lose 15 lbs. I have never gone back to my pre-pregnant weight which was around 135-140. I'm 5'7" tall and have always been active whether it was bike riding, dancing or rec. sports. After the kids came it became so hard to lose the weight. I carry all my weight in my upper body (read big boobs and belly) and recently set my mind to losing the weight for good! I'm tired of looking like I still have a pregnant belly and I would love for my boobs to go down a bit! I am tracking what I eat and shooting for 1500 -1600 cal. a day. I either walk/run, bike ride, do elipitical or take a class at the gym every day. I get so discouraged because I feel like I'm putting forth a good effort and not seeing the results I want. In four weeks all I lost was 3 measly pounds! *sigh*. I feel like the hormones have to be playing a big part in the weight being harder to lose now.

Last edited by AlisaWeisse; 04-17-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

I'm 41 and have recently found a really good recipe that works for me, I've lost 63 pounds since October, 57 of that since Christmas. Here is the basic recipe:

Daily
1 hour of hard cardio, or 1 1/2 hours of a lower burning workout (my target is 800 cal/workout)
2 servings of whole grain, low-cal, low-fat carbs (usually 150-250 calories total)
3 servings of fresh or fresh frozen fruit
4 servings of low-fat, low cal protein (at least one of them dairy)
5-8 servings of vegetables, either fresh or prepared from fresh
9 glasses of water minimum
10,000 steps on my pedometer

I try and keep my calorie pie chart at 45-35-20 (carbs, proteins, fats), but it varies. If my carbs are too high I eat either tuna, fat free Greek yogurt or a low fat protein shake to balance it out. I used to keep my calories around 1200-1400, but decided that might be low enough to put me in conservation mode, so I've upped it to 1400-1600 which seems to have helped. I also try and get 15-20 minutes/day in strengthening exercises. I've noticed that I always drop weight when my proteins are in line for more than a couple of days, but if the carbs get out of hand, I stall for days on end.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, That's interesting about what you said about if your carbs get too high. I'd be curious to see if that happens to me as well. I try to watch the carbs as it is and don't think I'm taking in that much to begin with though. It used to be that I'd just have to cut out the cookies cakes etc and I'd lose. Not anymore
Old 04-17-2010, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

The tricky part about carbs is they are in almost everything. I only eat a tiny bit of whole grain daily, but still have to contend with all the carbs in the veggies I eat. I always laugh at people that say they are cutting out carbs, and they they turn around and eat spaghetti pasta, um excuse me squash has carbs in it too. It's a really good way to fix a craving for regular pasta, don't get me wrong, it's just that it's not "carb-free" by any means.

Actually 3 pounds in 4 weeks is pretty good. Keep up that pace and you should be down to your goal weight in another 3-4 months.