Notices

Juice Fast

Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
FitDay Member

I did a juice fast for two days once during the winter. On the second day I had really bad headaches and was dizzy. On the third day I woke up violently ill. I could not hold down, keep in, any food for the next two days. I'm not sure if the two day juice fast or the two days of being sick lost more weight. Long story short, I discovered it's not for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by liquidlizard
I did a juice fast for two days once during the winter. On the second day I had really bad headaches and was dizzy. On the third day I woke up violently ill. I could not hold down, keep in, any food for the next two days. I'm not sure if the two day juice fast or the two days of being sick lost more weight. Long story short, I discovered it's not for me.
My guess is this was just a coincidence. I can't see how just drinking juice would make you sick like that.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default fasting experience

2010 I have done a 50 day fast, of which the first 20 days were water only and the last 30 days juice fast. On my juice fast I only consumed between 100 and 250 kcal/day and I mainly juiced fruit, cause I hate the taste of veggies. Fasting is a great way to break the cycle of binging/compulsive eating, if you have problems with this. After about 10 -14 days you are not constantly craving/thinking about food any more.
However, it is not a good method to lose weight. With a long fast you deplete your body of mineral and vitamins and your body uses up a lot of muscle as protein. In 70 days I lost 46 pounds and another 5 over the next couple of weeks but, probably due to malnourishment I started craving all kinds of foods and it sent me into a feeding frenzy and right back to where started, so I gained it all back and a bit extra.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

I probably did just catch a cold, and that caused my issues. Maybe I'll try again someday, but for now I'm a little scared too. Maybe not totally rational but...
Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I agree, fasting for weight loss is not the answer. I've done 30 day water fasts twice and lost a bunch of weight. Eventually gained it all back. This time I've eaten pleny of real food and lost 250 odd pounds in a reasonable time frame and I plan for it to stay off.

Regards,
Michael