Notices

Carbs/Fats/Proteins etc.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Carbs/Fats/Proteins etc.

I just started using FitDay and I input my breakfast into the food log but I started wondering if there's any place on the site that will tell me how much carbs/proteins/fats etc. that I'm suppose to have to actually try to balance what I'm eating. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

I used a couple of free tests that determine whether you are a slow oxidizer, balanced oxidizer, or high oxidizer..Jillian Michaels has one The Oxidizer Test by Jillian Michaels mental exorcism and gaia has another http://www.gaiahealthcare.com/docume...peQuiz_000.pdf

I am a high oxidizer and need 50% Protein, 30% Fat and 20% Carbs in my daily intake...I have been trying to work out the balance but it is difficult. I know the list of foods I am allowed but am having a hard time finding recipes to create meal plans. I am hoping to meet other high oxidizers on this site so we can swap recipes...let me know what type of oxidizer you are...
Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

On your food log, scroll down to the bottom, your calorie pie chart will be there.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

As almeeker pointed out the pie chart is on the bottom of the nutrient panel, but I think you are trying to figure out what your proportions should be. Often its not just proportions but absolute amounts. The bar on the %RDA field on the nutrient tab shows fiber, carbs and protein % levels. If you go to the "Nutrition as Percent of Daily Value" bar chart they show values for absolute values as well. However these are just general guidelines. If you have some specific issues your doctor will likely recommend variations on what you should be eating.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM
FitDay Member

I believe that the ob is trying to ask what the ratio of protein carbs and fat they the op should be eating per day.

if that is your question, a simple diet would recommend a 40 40 20 protein carb fat ratio.

however, if fat loss is a goal, i would say 40 40 20 or even 40 30 30 protein FAT carbs
Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not very educated about nutrition but why are carbs so bad? It seems like mine all comes from fruits. Aren't fruits good for you? I don't understand why.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NYLady77
I just started using FitDay and I input my breakfast into the food log but I started wondering if there's any place on the site that will tell me how much carbs/proteins/fats etc. that I'm suppose to have to actually try to balance what I'm eating. Any information would be appreciated.
You might also want to check out mypyramid.gov I think they have guidelines on there.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by miverso3
I'm not very educated about nutrition but why are carbs so bad? It seems like mine all comes from fruits. Aren't fruits good for you? I don't understand why.
I don't think carbs are "bad", and you're right, fruits and veggies are very good for you. Many diets have you reduce carbs because it's easier to stick to a low cal "diet" if you eat more protein as carbs tend to burn off faster, thus you feel hungry again.

Personally, I try for a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix, which is what the "Zone" diet recommends. I find this pretty comfortable, even at 1500 calories. I use this as a guide and don't fret too much if I'm off a bit.

If what you're eating is working, I wouldn't worry about the mix.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Michael. I don't think carbs are bad and I lost weight and maintained the loss eating 50-55% carbs. Just choose good ones; veggies, fruits, and whole grains. But I also agree that everyone is different and everyone's body responds to its own individual preference, so do a little experimenting if you like to see what is best for you.

Also, the Mayo Clinic has also postulated a pyramid:

Mayo Clinic medical information and tools for healthy living - MayoClinic.com
Old 01-23-2011, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default Net Carbs or Total Carbs

The carbs that are figured in the Pie chart: Are they net carbs or total carbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.