Notices

Special K Diet??

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Special K Diet??

I just wondered if anyone has tryed this diet and what they thought of it. I was thinking of trying it but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks
Deb
Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Deblgallagher80
I just wondered if anyone has tryed this diet and what they thought of it. I was thinking of trying it but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks
Deb
I like Special K, though not the kind with the nasty "red" berries in it--yuck!

What is the diet? Special K and skim milk for breakfast would be good, if you're not avoiding carbs.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Special K is filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup and other unpronouncable products.

It is not as healthy as they market it to be.

Fill your plate with proteins and green leafy veggies. Your body will thank you for it.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 AM
FitDay Member

It's a nice easy fix, but for me anyway, it wouldn't be maintainable in the long run. 2 bowls of cereal and a sensible dinner would quickly turn into 2 bowls of cereal and a late night binge. Might shed a few pounds but it doesn't teach you to eat healthy as a way of life.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Deblgallagher80

Thanks
Deb
The question to ask yourself before starting any plan is...........

"Can I eat like this for the rest of my life?"
Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Lizzy-Critter and Primal-Lionness 100%. It's a quick fix, not a long term solution. Primal Lionness nailed it with her question IMO.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:32 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Primal-Lioness
Special K is filled with High Fructose Corn Syrup and other unpronouncable products.

It is not as healthy as they market it to be.

Fill your plate with proteins and green leafy veggies. Your body will thank you for it.

Yup it also has BHT in it as well! It will never cross my lips again.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

Agreed! How does someone even live off of 2 bowls of cereal and one real meal? I'd be soooo hungry! Not to mention that it doesn't seem very smart to eat your biggest meal at the end of the day (dinner)...

My cereal guidelines are as follows:
-ingredients list whole grains (preferebly early in the list)
-at least 3g of protein
-the carb to sugar ratio should be 4:1 or less (meaning if there are 24 of carbs, there shouldn't be more than 6g of sugar; although I usually keep my sugar content below 5g anyway)
-at least 5g of fiber
-sodium under 200mg
-no hydrogenated oils, artificial colors or chemical preservatives

Lately I love grape nuts. They have a very satisfying nutty crunch. Eaten with warmed milk and berries is fantastic, or mixed into yogurt.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM
FitDay Member

Special K is alright as an occasional breakfast, but I agree that it's no way to live or even to do short term to drop a few pounds. I do like the "Chocolate Delight" variety, and have used it to quiet a chocolate craving, but to use day in and day out? No thank you.

Originally Posted by wannabefitgrl
Agreed! How does someone even live off of 2 bowls of cereal and one real meal? I'd be soooo hungry! Not to mention that it doesn't seem very smart to eat your biggest meal at the end of the day (dinner)...

My cereal guidelines are as follows:
-ingredients list whole grains (preferebly early in the list)
-at least 3g of protein
-the carb to sugar ratio should be 4:1 or less (meaning if there are 24 of carbs, there shouldn't be more than 6g of sugar; although I usually keep my sugar content below 5g anyway)
-at least 5g of fiber
-sodium under 200mg
-no hydrogenated oils, artificial colors or chemical preservatives

Lately I love grape nuts. They have a very satisfying nutty crunch. Eaten with warmed milk and berries is fantastic, or mixed into yogurt.
I liked your post and agreed with it until you got to the Grape Nuts part, Grape Nuts isn't food, it's aggregate. Yuck. I buy them for the DH, but would prefer to starve to death before I would put them in my mouth - seriously.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

Good thing would be to stop demonizing foods... high fructose corn syrup is basically sugar. If you're not eating sugar or trying to cut it out of your diet, then sure, don't eat something that has high fructose corn syrup in it.

Grape Nuts? If you like 'em, eat 'em. All dieting is managing your intake of calories. If you can work a bowl of Grape Nuts into your calories for the day, go for it!

There aren't any foods - none - that are magic and going to make your body lose weight. Your brain, your ability to look at the bottom line on the food page of fitday.com, is going to be the best thing you use for a diet. Nothing else. Nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.