Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to stick to my plan.. >

I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to stick to my plan..

Community
Notices

I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to stick to my plan..

Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
While I agree with most of CoeyCoey's post I must take exception with the two quoted above.

Fat is an essential nutrient, necessary for nervous system function and nutrient transport. While trans-fats have been linked to health problem, mono-unsaturated (which olive oil is), poly-unsaturated and even saturated fats should be a healthy part of your diet. Be aware that fat has approximately 9 calories per gram so a little goes a long way. Fat has also been shown in studies to have a satiating effect on hunger. I have a theory (no scientific evidence) that many people struggle with dieting because they buy into the popular no-fat/low-fat hype. They don't get enough fat in their diet and so their hunger is never satiated.

Comparing eggs to apples is just rhetoric. A 3" apple has 95 calories, 25g of carbs (including 19g of sugar and 4g of fiber). 3 large egg whites have 99 calories, and 12g of protein. Apples are all carbs, eggs are all protein. Adequate protein is a necessary part of a successful diet. Protein helps your body maintain muscle that you would otherwise catabolize while dieting. Protein is the only nutrient that can build and repair muscle. Muscle is the furnace of your metabolism so the more you have the more calories you burn even at rest.

Count your calories, balance your carbohydrate, protein and fat intake and continue to exercise. Make it a lifestyle instead of just a diet and you can be fit and healthy for the rest of your life. Good luck!!
Fat is in all whole plant-based foods as well as protein and carbs. You are much better off eating a whole food then consuming any amount of oil which is pure fat. If you ate the olive in stead of the olive oil

An apple is 3% fat and 2% protein. There are no minimum RDA for fat because we don't need much fat, and there is plenty for our bodies to utilize in everything. If you eat enough calories from a variety of foods, you get enough fat and protein for that matter barring any diseases or conditions.

Focusing on macronutrients will lead to deficiencies in micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) as well as other great things your body can use such as anti-oxidants, enzymes, and other phytonutrients.

Americans get far more fat and protein than they need while often missing out on the things that keep us healthy, energetic, and young.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vsabino
Agreed! We can't suggest a 16-year old to eat only fruit and veggies! Watch what you eat and exercise and you'll be fantastic in no time.
Who suggested that?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
Hi Mia,

First off, try to cut out dairy.

Cheerios and bagels may seem like healthy foods, but they are highly refined carbs.

For example, people say Olive Oil is healthier than other oils, but it is in no way "healthy". It is 100% fat and has almost no nutritional value other than the calories from fat.

Egg whites are better than the yolk for sure. But they have no taste and not a lot of vitamins and minerals. For about the same calories as two egg whites, you could have an apple and get way more nutrients.

Fruits and vegetables are always best. Eat fruits and vegetables all day long. Don't let yourself feel hungry. Just grab some fruit or veggies to give your body the micronutrients it is likely craving.

Looking at what you originally wrote:
1. NO Dairy
2. NO Cheerios and bagels
3. NO olive oil
4. NO eggs
5. Fruits and veggies, eat them all day!

Let's leave that poor girl eat a little bit of everything and she'll be fine!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Mia, I really feel for you girl -- it really struck a chord with me when you said that your friends had no idea how insecure you are about yourself. Sounds like you've been thinking about this a lot and I'm so pumped that you've decided to get going on a serious change. You'll feel so empowered when you gain control over your body and emotions when it comes to food, exercise and your relationships for the long term! I'm a few years older than you, but I certainly remember what it was like to be in high school. For me, junior and senior year were when I really started becoming who I am today. Here are a couple of random things I've found helpful in my own experience:

1.) Learn about portion sizes and nutrition information for a bunch of foods. Start simple and work your way "out", meaning first figure out what's up with the foods you eat most commonly and then expand to some of the less common stuff. As you can see from these message boards, tons of different plans/philosophies work for as many different people, so you have the freedom to design a plan tailored specifically to you. Don't get too obsessed about the details (I did!) and strive for variety! What makes you feel good (good = healthy) and what combinations of foods have you eaten on days where you feel great? Which leads me to...

2.) Tune in to your body and emotions. How do you feel when you eat certain foods? At certain times? Before/during/after working out? Tapping into some of these feelings (both physical and mental) can really help you fine tune your plans.

3.) Don't compare yourself to others and don't worry about what other people think. No negative “self-talk” either. Any time you start doubting yourself or putting yourself down, give that little voice a mental slap and move on! Totally easier said than done, I know, but trust me -- the less you do it the better off you'll be.

4.) As far as motivation goes, journaling is something that has really worked for me for the past couple of years. Since you already enjoy exercising, I'd maybe recommend the same one I use -- The Ultimate Workout Log by Suzanne Schlosberg. That particular log has sections for weekly goals, cardio, strength, mind-body exercise, nutrition, sleep, and a daily wrap up where you can write anything you want. For me, it started out as an obsessive-compulsive thing -- I'd fill out all the information to great detail in teeny tiny writing. I had never really journaled before in any capacity and I used it as more of a database rather than a personal book of world records. Now, my focus is more holistic. Some weeks or days I'll focus a little more on nutrition, some on lifting, etc. Since it also has a weekly wrap up section where you assess how well you met your goals and reflect on the week as a whole, I stay motivated all the time so I can have a good report at the end of the week. I f I don’t for some reason, I’ll have a log of the stuff I did to get me there. I know it sounds silly to feel accountable to a little red book, but for me it has withstood the test of time.

Good luck and keep posting! These forums are a motivation in and of themselves!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 AM
FitDay Member

I hesitated to reply because I am not a nutritionist or a dietician; I eat what is good for my body and what I know to be healthy - in short, what works for me and what has led to my weight loss.
However, in reading your post, in my opinion, your issue seems less to be WHAT you eat as opposed to how MUCH you eat. I remember very well the times that I would overeat or make a poor eating choice, and subsequently punish myself and my frustration by throwing in the towel and binge-eating. It's a mental hurdle, and one you can certainly overcome, but it's going to take work. For me, logic was my friend in these moments. Let's say I ate a brownie when I didn't have room for it in my calories that day or whatever. Well, the 'old me' would've then proceeded to eat a few more, give up entirely, and go on hating myself. Combatting this with logic can help; i.e., "Self, what's worse for you? 1 brownie or 5?" The urge/craving to overeat will pass - give it 5minutes and a lot of deep breaths before reaching for more. Also remember that you are human, and you will make some mis-steps along the way, and that's ok. As I read elsewhere on this forum, when you reach your goal, ultimately one "bad" day just means you'll get to your goal one day later. Not the end of the world.
Lastly, you will get a variety of interesting and intelligent suggestions on this forum, so it's a great place to dip your toe in the waters and see what works for other people. With that said, though, I highly recommend that you research any and all suggestions before taking anything on. As another poster suggested, maybe talking to your mom about visiting a dietician would be a good thing. I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 PM
FitDay Member

Well, thanks to everyone who posted Even though there were many different responses and advice, they all were helplful and gave me more motivation. As for the food..I am in high school, I can't really manage to eat "perfectly"... especially when school time rolls around and I'm eating in a cafeteria setting. So for now, I will have to stick with eating cheerios and egg whites once in a while! I have been writing down everything I eat in a notebook, which has def. helped keep me aware and accountable of everything. I just need to quit eating my feelings away and stick with it.
Good Luck to everyone else!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mia21594
Well, thanks to everyone who posted Even though there were many different responses and advice, they all were helplful and gave me more motivation. As for the food..I am in high school, I can't really manage to eat "perfectly"... especially when school time rolls around and I'm eating in a cafeteria setting. So for now, I will have to stick with eating cheerios and egg whites once in a while! I have been writing down everything I eat in a notebook, which has def. helped keep me aware and accountable of everything. I just need to quit eating my feelings away and stick with it.
Good Luck to everyone else!!!
Not sure if this will help, but when I was in high school I used to eat protein bars and diet cola. It filled me up for the last part of the day and I could just carry them in my purse. Of course there is more choices than what we had for lunches, I probably would have eaten salad if it were available, but I like salad. Good luck with your quest.