Did You Exercise Today? >

Did You Exercise Today?

Community
Notices

Did You Exercise Today?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:17 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
Just finished my workout for tonight. I re-rented the Biggest Loser DVD from the library today. I'm enjoying it, and can feel that I'm improving. Though I still have lots of trouble with lunges. I don't have the balance yet and my knees don't seem to want to cooperate. I'm hoping as I lose weight I'll get stronger and be able to do them.
Well done hun!
I have trouble with lunges too, makes my knees very painful so I can't go as deep as others. But keep trying and eventually you'll become more supple. Maybe you should try a learner Tai Chi dvd? I do a class once a week at the gym, and even though it's slow movements it totally kicks my butt, and each week I'm able to lunge/squat a little deeply and twist a little more. Also, I am 24 and the youngest in my Tai Chi class (by far) so I would say it's definitely suited to all ages/fitness levels.
Good luck with your work outs!
Btw, if you ever feel like emailing me; my addy is [email protected]

~*Boo*~
Old 08-11-2010, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Boo! *hugs*
I've always wanted to try Tai Chi. I wish there were some classes nearby, but I live in a very rural area and the nearest semi-city is about 30 miles away. The local library can get most DVDs for me though, so maybe I'll look into a Tai Chi one.

It's a gorgeous day outside today, so I think I may try to do a morning walk outdoors. Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Just finished my 4 mile power walk, (sweating like a pig!) Takes me an hour. I find myself bargaining with myself the whole time- ok- one more minute at this pace, then I'll slow down- just one more block, just one more hill then...etc..) The key for me is the music on my mp3 player. Old school disco, dance, techno with a great beat keeps me going. And singing along haha.
Concerning the question about Zumba- I LOVE IT!!!! It kicks a**!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Woohoo!

I ran for 35 big fat minutes this morning and I am so proud! I can't believe that just 11 weeks ago I could barely run for 1 minute without feeling like I was going to die. In my 45-minute run/walk I went 5.71 kilometres (3.55 miles) and I feel like Rocky Balboa.

Congrats to all of you, Lovely Ladies, for getting out there and getting moving. We are stars!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

Just finished my 30 minutes of low-impact aerobics and feeling good! Though my right foot feels a little swollen, not sure why. It almost feels like a sprain without the severe pain when I step on it. I'm probably just retaining water, but just in one foot? LOL

Also, I am proud to say I have gotten in some form of movement/exercise every single day (except for 1) since I returned on August 1st! This is such a huge accomplishment for me because I haven't made a conscious effort to exercise in a loooooooooong time! As much as I dread it, once I do it, I feel really happy. It does seem to be getting easier too!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Lunges will make your knees hurt if you do them wrong. I found a good video that shows how to do them the right way because its hard to explain. YouTube - The 'Right' Way to Do Lunges
Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 AM
FitDay Member

Today was my 5th day in a row that I've walked for 30 min.
Feels good.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
Lunges will make your knees hurt if you do them wrong. I found a good video that shows how to do them the right way because its hard to explain. YouTube - The 'Right' Way to Do Lunges
Thanks for that link J. Right now, even though I understand the way to lunge, my body doesn't cooperate. My core isn't very strong and I lose balance. My knees are also a bit stiff, and the muscles supporting them in my legs need to get stronger.

In the video that I'm doing, they start their lunge from a standing position shoulder width apart, and then they take the foot back (instead of forward) and go down into the lunge position.

I think I'm just carrying too much weight right now, because even holding a chair and doing it very slowly, it hurts my knees.

I've just been modifying that movement when they get to it on the tape. Instead of a lunge, I just take my leg back and press my heel flat like a runner's stretch.

I hope someday I'll be able to do lunges successfully.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:27 PM
FitDay Member

Have you tried doing a reverse lunge instead of a forward lunge? Or try step ups on a stepper or staircase until you work the strength up to do lunges.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:14 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
Have you tried doing a reverse lunge instead of a forward lunge? Or try step ups on a stepper or staircase until you work the strength up to do lunges.
I think in the DVD I've been doing, they are doing reverse lunges. I have been trying my best, but I can't get the full range of motion yet. I've been researching knee exercises and welcome any other ideas/suggestions. Thanks J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.