Notices

Carb-Aholics

Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
FitDay Member

Wink

Originally Posted by almeeker
Hello, my name is Amy and I'm a carbaholic, I was born this way. I became aware of carbaholism about 5-6 years ago when our oldest was diagnosed with food allergies. I read an article on dealing with wheat/carbohydrate withdrawl that many people on the GF diet have to deal with, and essentially discovered that I'm a textbook carbaholic. On a list of 30 symptoms, I exhibit 28-29 of them - seriously. I felt like the author of that article knew me as well as my own mother, maybe even a little better...

I've been making pizza with slim buns, you just open them up, spread some pizza sauce on it, then some cheese. I try to use just an ounce of reduced fat cheese for 2 halves, which is about 1/4 cup shredded. Then top it with mushrooms, turkey pepperoni, bacon bits, peppers, etc etc, pop it under the broiler for like 1-2 minutes and ta-da, guiltless pizza. One of the ladies on the 100 pound thread uses portabella mushroom caps brushed with olive oil for the crust, but I haven't tried that yet, slimbuns are um cheaper. We call them "pizza buns" at our house. I've also used whole grain pita bread and whole wheat flour tortillas for the crust. But seriously, any thing sort of flat that can hold sauce and cheese (sauce optional) is fair game here in my kitchen.

My absolute worst temptations are ice cream, brownies, chocolate and Italian. So an entire culture of cuisine is on my "weakness" list. Wow, how sad is that? I also love Mexican food, but that's much easier to make healthy versions of. I make a darn good sanora omelet, which I serve with whole grain tortillas. Basically it's an egg white omelet stuffed with shredded chicken, salsa and rf cheese, then topped with a little more cheese and diced tomato. Sooooo yummy, well I gotta go there are eggs in the fridge calling to me.....
Wow, you are wonderful to lose all that weight, you must be so proud and excited, keep on going, you'r nearly there!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 PM
FitDay Member

Just adding my 'thumbs up' to the making your own hummus idea - my husband and I make it, and don't use tahini. I don't notice the difference in taste, and having it around has really saved me from some carb debacles.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Talking Chocolate Is A Vegetable Story

Originally Posted by almeeker
Where did you see a shirt like that? My mother would LOVE it!

You think? At least you're aware of the possibility, it took me years to see it in myself.
Chocolate is a Vegetable

Chocolate is derived from cocoa beans.

Bean = vegetable.

Sugar is derived from either sugar cane or sugar BEETS.

Both of them are plants, in the vegetable category.

Thus, chocolate is a vegetable.

To go one step further, chocolate candy bars also contain milk, which is dairy.

So candy bars are a health food!!!

Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.

Remember:"STRESSED" spelled backward is "DESSERTS".

Chocolate is a Vegetable
Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
FitDay Member

LOL, thanks for that, mom will LOVE IT. Maybe I'll have that printed on a t-shirt for her, better yet a box full of t-shirts, it's likely to be an instant favorite.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

Glad you like it! I remind myself of this "fact" when I feel guilty about eating too many chocolate veggies. LOL!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

I understand that a good pie chart percentage is about 40-40-20, but roughly how many grams of carbs do you think we should intake daily?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
FitDay Member

Hi A little late to this thread. My name is Maggie and I too am a carboholic. 61 years old so I have been at this a long time. I have been at this fit day deal for almost a year now. I have lost 18 pounds. Rolling my eyes. NOT giving up. Only 32 more to go.

Trying to understand this hummus. Do you cook it? Do you mash the black beans? Sorry for being so dense on this. I heard of it last week from a friend but she was very vague on it.

I did make up a delicious dinner even DH likes. But it envloves burger too. We do buy the lean and I drain any fat off I can.
Can each Black beans, kidney beans, corn( the carb no no) green chilies onions and some chili powder to taste. We like lots. Heat it up and very lightly sprinkle some cheese on it when dished up. Thats it. Do not suppose this qualifies as hummus??

Will check back as soon as I can tomorrow. Thanks

Maggie
Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 PM
FitDay Member

missmaggieelizabeth - Hummus (Houmous) is an eastern food made from pureed Chick Peas, olive oil, lemon juice and a couple of other minor ingredients. Usually bought in a tub, great for dipping with carrot sticks and other raw vegetables. You can also have it spread on bread if you don't mind the extra carbs.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
FitDay Member

Missmaggieelizabeth, hummus is pretty much like chip dip, only it's healthier than your average tub of ranch dip, think "smooth bean dip" and you get the idea, most of the time it's served cold, but it's good hot as well. What you're making sounds very much like yummy chili. If you want to lighten it up even further, you might try switching the ground burger to ground turkey burger. My family can't tell the difference and turkey naturally has less fat and fewer calories than even the leanest ground beef. Although beef is cheaper for us, since my folks raise beef cattle.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Michellebelle_05
I understand that a good pie chart percentage is about 40-40-20, but roughly how many grams of carbs do you think we should intake daily?
Every "body" is different, so you have to sort of get in tune with your own. I try and keep my carb intake below 200, because when I do I lose pretty steadily. But if you're doing Atkins or South Beach, it's much lower than that, I want to say 30-40ish? And Atkins is all about "net" carbs, which I think means the carbs minus the dietary fiber or some such. I'm not on Atkins or SB, so my understanding is limited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.