Notices

Cycling Calories / ZigZag Calories

Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

Actually, I did lose more on calorie cycling than on steady restriction, and for me it is much easier to maintain with cycling; I've done it both ways. I don't see it as a convenience thing; rather as a natural way to eat. Some days you expend more and take more in; other days you're not as hungry, and it all averages out. That's how it is in the real world...who, when they're not watching their weight, pays attention to eating the same number of calories every day? I don't really record during the day anymore now that I have been on maintenance for three months, but when I go back at the end of the day and load everything in, some days are naturally higher and some days are naturally lower. I don't see that it has anything to do with not being able to "stick" to a certain number of calories.

"Actually, I did lose more on calorie cycling than on steady restriction, and for me it is much easier to maintain with cycling;" <--- I would call this convenience. Right, our caloric intake and energy expenditure fluctuates from day to day. If thats the way you prefer to create enough deficit over time to allow for weight loss thats good. I think some people find it more simple to shoot for just one caloric intake, or even a small range. I guess its just a matter of preference. The key is the caloric deficit, not so much in how you go about creating it. It can be achieved many ways.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with everything that has been said. I have been cycling since April, trying to keep my calories for the week balancing out to be between 9500 and 9800. It worked within about 2 weeks and then slacked off, so last week I had to increase my protein intake and my exercise routine and I have seen some inch loss (not scale loss) this week.

I REALLY like cycling the calories because it keeps me from wanting. I have one day a week that is a REALLY hungry day for me, so I made that my 1700 calorie day. I also let one weekend day be a higher calorie day b/c that is when my family is home and I tend to fall off the wagon. This definitely keeps me sane.

So, to sum, my body got used the the amount of calories I was eating, the type of exercise I was doing AND the ratio of carbs and protein. The only upside to this is it is keeping me busy mentally, so much to experiment with.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for all the input and advice. i'm going to try cycling for the next month and see if that helps spur the weight loss.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

I have read about cycling also. When I checked how many calories I should be eating, it told me I should have 5 days at 1410, 1 day at 1558 and one day at 1700. I have been counting my calories and have been trying to stay around 1200 - which I am able to do on most days. The weight is slow to come off. Do I actually up my calorie intake or will that undo what I have already tried to do?

I treadmill everyday for atleast 30 minutes, lift weights 3 days a week and have 2 young boys so I am always playing catch, riding bikes or something along those lines.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions!!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

I'd say you should increase your calories. It has helped me!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:10 AM
FitDay Member

IMO it helps to time your calorie cycling according to your workout schedule. Some people here seem to be cycling high on weekends to accommodate parties and picnics, but to me that seems rather arbitrary. I tend to naturally eat more on days I work out, so that's my version of cycling. I'll hover between 1700-2000 on my rest days, while pushing over 2200 on my workout days. That way you give your body the extra fuel when it needs it most, while keeping to a just-below-maintenance level the rest of the time.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Jennifer,

I don't know your specifics so I'm using what I know about myself to try to come up with an answer for you. If you're like me I would say to definitely up your calories. It's at least worth a try if your weight loss has been slow. You need to make sure that you are taking in enough calories because too little could force your body to hold on tighter to the pounds. If you're nervous, have you tried spacing your calories over smaller meals more frequently throughout the day? Eating more frequently is supposed to be good for your metabolism as well. I eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours (about 5 meals/snacks that are 250-400 calories). This has worked for me, and when I stick to whole foods, the pounds come off.

I also have an idea for your treadmill work. Have you tried interval training? I have read that it is supposed to help you burn more calories during the day. After you warm up, you can do one minute of intense (running faster, using a higher incline, or both) and one minute at a comfortable pace, alternating between for 20-25 minutes.

In my experience (which is all I have to go on!), these things have been helpful. Good luck and have fun with those boys!

Amber
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by JenniferP1
I have read about cycling also. When I checked how many calories I should be eating, it told me I should have 5 days at 1410, 1 day at 1558 and one day at 1700. I have been counting my calories and have been trying to stay around 1200 - which I am able to do on most days. The weight is slow to come off. Do I actually up my calorie intake or will that undo what I have already tried to do?
What is your protein intake as a percentage? I would suggest you try to get it to 30% (or above) if it is not there already. A single protein shake like I use (26g protein) with a cup of whole milk could provide the extra calories (about 200 calories) and increase your protein intake. Try it for a week or two and see if it helps. Sounds like the exercise routine is good so this may be the missing link. (I am suprised Tandoorichicken didn't mention it already.)
Old 06-25-2010, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
(I am suprised Tandoorichicken didn't mention it already.)
You caught me! I'm only human

Congrats on making it more than half way, btw!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

I struggle with the protein intake. I am going to try some of the protein shakes and see how that works for me.

Thanks for the suggestions and recipes!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.