Notices

What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default What am I doing wrong?

I had a 5 lb. gain this week. I don't know why. This week, for my average, I'm at 1600 calories in, 2300 calories out. I was at the gym six days this week. My workouts vary, one day, I did over an hour of pretty intense cardio, three days I'm doing a calisthenics class that's focused on weight training, and the remaining two days I did average cardio. My food was all pretty decent, except two times, I went out for dinner. We had tickets to see two shows, so we did dinner before hand. Other than that, I've been really good about whole grains, low fat, lots of greens, fruit for snacks instead of crackers or cookies...

So, what am I doing wrong?? Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

How have your losses been up to this point? If I had to guess, I would say fluid retention. Are you SURE you've entered all your cals, including the ones from the restaurants? Restaurant food can be full of sodium, causing fluid retention. As it appears you are female (I'm not, but I live w/two of them) there can be natural monthly fluctuations as well. For the next week I would concentrate on meticulously entering all your cals (weigh and measure if neccessary) and see what happens at your weigh-in next week.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

What does your pie chart look like? I try and keep my carb intake at 40% for weight loss. It's not just the calories you're eating, it's also what they are made of that's important.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

From all that intense exercise, are you sore at all? Muscle soreness means the muscles have all that lactic acid buildup and the extra fluids could be impacting your body. Get some rest, listen to your body, and I'm sure you'll be down next week. (We always say the hard work this week won't show until next week.)
Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
How have your losses been up to this point? If I had to guess, I would say fluid retention. Are you SURE you've entered all your cals, including the ones from the restaurants? Restaurant food can be full of sodium, causing fluid retention. As it appears you are female (I'm not, but I live w/two of them) there can be natural monthly fluctuations as well. For the next week I would concentrate on meticulously entering all your cals (weigh and measure if neccessary) and see what happens at your weigh-in next week.
I agree...happens to me a lot. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Salt can be a HUGE issue. Sounds like you are doing all the right things...don't let the scale discourage you...try backing off on the salt and increase water and see how that goes for you.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

Most likely water weight, do to restaurant food having high sodium levels. Drink lots of water.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

To gain 5 pounds of body weight (not water retension) you would have to eat 17,500 calories over your maintenance. That would be an extra 2500 calories each day. Unless those meals out were 10,000 calories each your weight gain is not fat. Some of the gain could be muscle (which would not be a bad thing) but it is unlikely you could gain more than 1/2 pound of muscle in a week. So, logically it sounds like water weight. Don't get discouraged and keep on doing what you are doing.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default thanks!

Thanks, everyone! I'm pretty sure it must be water weight. It's hard to get the calories exact when eating at restaurants. I know some post nutritional data on their websites, but we generally eat at finer restaurants that very rarely have that information readily available. Despite the quality of the restaurant, I absolutely believe that there was way more salt than what I would get if I made food at home. I'm certain that I didn't eat the calories that duff described. My husband and I shared a salad entree, and while I did have bread as well, we were not eating huge burgers or french fries or anything... My weight loss has been really good up to this point. I started fitday about 3 weeks ago, and I was losing about 2.5 lbs/week. I lost 8 lbs, and then gained that 5.

So, thanks, I feel much better and encouraged to know that it's probably water weight. I'll keep pushing water and see what happens at next weeks weigh in.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 AM
FitDay Member

In the past, Ive weighed myself on a Saturday and than again on Sunday where there was a 4 pound difference on my scale lol. After that I decided to pick a day (Sunday Mornings) and only weigh myself at that point as soon as I woke up before I eat. The body definately goes through alot of changes and I agree with it most likely being some added muscle and/or water retention.

Keep up the good work
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
FitDay Member

If your calories are on track and you're eating properly - forget the scale. The scale doesn't mean anything. Start measuring yourself and using clothes instead of the scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.