Notices

Anyone Tried Shangri-La Diet?

Old 02-14-2015, 12:21 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Post Anyone Tried Shangri-La Diet?

Has anyone tried the Shangri-La diet written by Seth Roberts?

In summary he is a psychologist who discovered a link between flavor of foods and our psychological feeling of hunger. The greater the flavor the stronger the brain associates calories with that food. Eat flavorless foods and the craving reduces dramatically.

Read more at the wikipedia page or at his own blog.

I've tried this diet on and off and the pros are that its very cheap and you do eat less food and eventually have less cravings for food, however, the main complaint about the diet is that the foods that are considered "flavorless" are "Extra Light" (not extra virgin) Olive Oil and/or sugar dissolved in water.

I know there will be a lot of criticism on this forum about the diet, however i would like to know if people have tried it and what they thought. Prefer not to debate with people who've never actually tried the diet.

I should try to summarize the rules of this diet here:
1. drink on a table spoon or dissolved in water one(1) tablespoon of Extra Light (tasting) Olive Oil 1 hour before or 1 hour after any other meals. This can be done up to 2 tablespoons per day assuming that more oil = less cravings.
2. Alternatively dissolve 3 tablespoons of plane granulated white sugar in 1 oz of HOT water and sip very slowly over the course of 1 hour. Also done 1 hour before or 1 hour after a meal. This can also be done in combination with step 1 to get more calories.
3. Can also eat bland food or clip your nose with swimmers nose clips while eating to block the smell.

This is done for many weeks and should result in eating less calories per day and losing about 1-2 pounds per week. Best results are when you calculate your body weight in kgs and multiply by 4 to get X. Then X is the amount of calories to try to drink in olive oil or in sugar water.

I will post below how my results have been. Please read up on it or buy the book.

Last edited by bigbry2k3; 02-15-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Been on the diet seriously for a couple days and eating far less calories than I previously did. Used to eat 3000+ now its under 2500 with not quite as much hunger as I had before. Its not complete appetite suppression, but less huger.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Still on the diet and its surprisingly easy to eat fewer calories than if I were not on the diet. I have some appetite suppression, enough to lose a little more than a pound in a week. I know that doesn't sound like much when compared to a ketogenic or atkins diet, but it's still weight loss. When I tried atkins before I lost easily 3-5 lbs per week on average with only a few plateaus over 6 months. I lost 25 pounds.

On the Shangri-la diet, the weight won't come off as quickly, but I am able to eat anything I want including any carbs I want or if I don't want to eat carbs then no problem. There is an experience of a lot less hunger but ability to eat anything available. I will keep doing this diet to see how it is over the long course. I'll stick with this for 6 months.