Notices

Vit. D?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Wylie7
A lack of vitamin D can have a huge effect on an active lifestyle. My doc recommended adding 1000 IU of vitamin D because I was having trouble recovering from workouts (dizziness, blurred vision, headaches). After a week, of Vitamin D I could increase my workouts from 20 minutes to 1 hour. I live in a more northern location and get a rash if I expose my skin to the spring, summer and fall sun for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time without protection, so supplements are important.

I get my vit D from my calcium supplement, soy milk, fortified OJ and vit D supplements. If you google vitamin D, you'll find a lot of information on natural sources (including Wikipedia).

I thought I was crazy, but I get the same rash, only just first thing in the spring!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

I read recently that if you live above 40 degrees latitude you can only get enough vitamin D from the sun during the months of May through October. And if you use sun screen you are also blocking the vitamin D production in your skin.

My doctor did a blood test for vitamin D, and since I was low she recommended taking a multivitamin that includes 400 (not sure whether it's mg's or IU's) vitamin D, plus 1000 vitamin D in a separate pill. If you get the blood test your doc might recommend a different amount depending on test results.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know your age but I am 60 and now have to take 2000 IU a day even with all the sunlight I am in. If you are young you probably don't need that amount.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 AM
FitDay Member

This is an old thread and bsaz hasn't been active in the Forums for over a year, but it's a very worthy discussion.

I take a Calcium supplement every day and it includes Vitamin D. The Vitamin D helps the Calcium to be absorbed, and I also wind up getting my daily dose of Vitamin D along with this very important vitamin.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 PM
FitDay Member

I can't believe the difference taking a Vit D supplement has done for me. I live in Minnesota and am about to move to the UK, so I take 3 of the Nature Made Vit D 2000 i.u. pills in the morning. Plus I work the night shift currently and sleep during the day. So my exposure to sunlight is limited! Plus, I'd rather take a supplement than get too much sun by accident; as I am a red head as well. I have to say I am thrilled to be moving to the land of pasty-white people so I'll fit right in!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Alice6065 is correct in that if you live in the northern part of the country we only get the rays that convert cholesterol to vitamin D from May to early fall.

Four years ago I had extremely low levels and was put on a prescription of 50,000 IU per week for one month, then 30,000 and finally down to anywhere from 2000 IU to 4000 IU per day. They now say that even people in the south are deficient because of sunscreens. Most doctors now do a D level check with an annual physical. When you take Vitamin D make sure it is D3 not D2.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

I was under the impression that salmon was a source of vitamin D, but fit day says it has none. Am i wrong?