Notices

Motivational Thread May 26 - June 2

Old 05-27-2014, 04:01 PM
FitDay Member

I can't remember who on here recommended it (sorry!) but I took the idea of low fat cottage cheese for protein. holy heck! only 90 calories per 1/2 c serving with a whopping HUGE 12g protein! wow!

Problem is, I'm not super crazy about it yet. I'm hoping it's an acquired taste. maybe I need to look up some recipes on Pinterest instead of eating it plain. so whoever recommended it...thanks for the idea!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1) 6 glasses of water -??
2) walk, even tiny baby walks, 3x minimum -N, N too busy helping DD prepare for trip
3) don't fall for stupid diet plans, just keep it healthy- BINGE ATE ate OK until night, not too bad
4) don't get discouraged -yes ummm

Jenai, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in this!

Becca, welcome back! You'll undo the damage. And Hawaii...wow...
Old 05-28-2014, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Jenn: Late congrats on the BIDIA award!!!! Hoping to follow your awesome example this week.

Jenai: You are ROCKING IT OUT and I love that you're posting your excuses - that is both brave and inspiring!! I literally looked at myself naked in a hotel mirror for about ten minutes before doing some other soul searching - nothing like a full-length mirror and different lighting to make you see things differently. But I think it worked for now! Did exercise help your headache? Sometimes I find it can make it worse or make it completely go away. Weirdness. It was me who recommended the cottage cheese I find I can't eat it plain either and I REALLY can't eat the low-fat cottage cheese. It's nice mixed in with some other things, though, and sometimes I like putting it on a flavorful bread!

Aimee: I feel your pain, I go back and forth too, but good on you for getting the Jillian Michaels done! I've never completed the 30 Day Shred; tried and failed many times! You go girl! As a neuroscientist, and also someone who has taught older students, I can tell you from experience that older/non-traditional students are an absolute joy, and your teachers will be happy to have you! Also, if anything, all that running around after kids and thinking on your feet is totally good for your brain. You're going to do amazing, and way to go on getting back to school to do something you want to do! Nothing can stop you!

Hope, you're so sweet, but I am a naturally lazy person (just ask my husband!) -- depressed and powerless certainly adds to it, and I DO do better when I have busy days, so I've been trying to make sure that I get some stuff done during the day, even though it's summer and I don't have research this year (first time since grad school!) I am going into work this afternoon (in fact, as soon as I finish writing this) to get myself set up and maybe get some editing done. Why are you getting discouraged?

Becca: So jealous of your Hawaii trip, I have never been!!! You'll get right back on track, whoo!

As for me:

I've been trying to get my workouts done in the mornings these past two days, and I think I like it. Normally I don't during the school year because I can't get up/get my blood pressure stabilized/get a workout in before I need to go into work, but now that I'm on summer and my hours are much more my own, I'm trying to use a morning routine. Even if it's just only in the summer, I like the past 48 hours.

I'm actually trying a new recipe TONIGHT rather than this weekend (maybe I'll try another one on the weekend, too) that I found in my crock pot book. The book says it only has 335 calories per serving, but I calculated it out on spark as 419 cals/serving (still not too bad!) and I probably used somewhat different ingredients. I never trust cookbook calorie counts anyway since the products can vary so much, but I'm using a light turkey/pork sausage blend and lots and lots of beans, along with onion and carrot to flavor it (it's called a sausage bean bake). Hopefully it comes out tasty. I didn't have any marjoram on hand, which the recipe calls for, so I substituted basil and thyme, and added pepper. I'm totally sore in the abs and lower back from my past two days of workouts, but hopefully my core will strenthen up over time. The TurboJam ab workouts are no joke.

I've already logged my dinner and so far I'm looking at a -810 calorie deficit for the day if I stick to the plan. We'll see. Snacking often does me in, but I plan to try and chug water if I'm getting the urge to munch. I also added my protein goal below (I forgot it earlier!).

Week Goals:

1) Work out T, W, Th, F and Sun. Follow TurboJam schedule. T: yes W: yes
2) Calorie deficit of -3500 T: -447 Total: -447
3) 64+ oz of water daily T: yes
4) Try one new recipe this weekend T: N/A
5) In bed by 11:00 every night (my sleeping has gotten wonky) T: 11:03. Close!
6) Weigh on F and report T-Th: N/A
7) Protein 25-30% of daily/weekly calories T: 18% Average: 18%

~Terri
Old 05-28-2014, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

Terri, all due respects to your DH, I still can't believe you are lazy. Look at all you've done professionally and at such a young age.

Look at you rocking the workouts and new recipes!

Whereas I just ate a diner burger bigger than my head and a good portion of DH's fries. I am going nowhere near a mirror, clothed or otherwise lol!!!! I'm grabbing my new kitten and curling up. Just dropped DD off at the airport and this little cat is my new fur baby.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM
FitDay Member

Excuses not to exercise tonight:
  • Plain and simple I don't feel like it.
  • My knee hurts.
  • I don't have any energy.

Half Overcome

While I did exercise tonight, I am ashamed to admit that I regressed and only did the workout up to the mid point water break. My knee really is hurting, and those lunges sure did a number on it.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
Excuses not to exercise tonight:
  • Plain and simple I don't feel like it.
  • My knee hurts.
  • I don't have any energy.

Half Overcome

While I did exercise tonight, I am ashamed to admit that I regressed and only did the workout up to the mid point water break. My knee really is hurting, and those lunges sure did a number on it.
Lunges are really tough on the knees. Is there something else you can do?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:07 PM
FitDay Member

I think I pulled a muscle yesterday in my back doing that fat burning Jillian Michaels show. Ouch. I had to take lots of ibuprofen last night and all of today. I'm hoping I'll feel better tomorrow and maybe get back to at least do an elliptical worikout at the gym.

Thank you Hope, Jenai & Terri for the congrats & encouragement on me going back to school. I've been putting it off for quite some time, but my kids were younger so I had the excuse. Now, with my youngest in kindergarten I have a bit more time in the day. In answer to your question, I'm going to get a Phlebotomy and/or Medical Assistant certificate. I already had a bachelor's degree in mass communications and had been a Technical Writer for several years prior to having kids and taking time off from a job. I just don't like that profession anymore, but I do like interacting with people and providing help so I think this would be a good new profession for me.

Ok- goal time-- not doing so great, but here it is:
1) Drink 4-5 glasses water per day (M/N, T/Y, W/N
2) workout at least 3 x per week (M/N, T/Y, W/N
3) Log food and try to stay under 1300-1400 cal (M/N, T/Y, W/Y
Old 05-29-2014, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hope: You're such a sweetie I suppose when it comes to my job I get things done, but I have a tendency to procrastinate. I feel very lucky/blessed to have gotten as far as I have professionally. But around the house? Super-lazy! DH does most of the cleaning and daily tidying up (except for laundry and dishes) and most nights this time of year find me watching a baseball game and sewing in the evening if I don't have anything on ye olde social calendar. Also, I've been meaning to ask you about your new kitten!!!! Was he/she adopted? What does he/she look like? Sounds so cute, and I hope it helps comforting while your daughter is away (off on her adventure!)

Jenai: Fantastic job on getting half done. That's not regressing - that's making a compromise with your body. No one wants you to get injured! Lunges are super-tough on the knees. I actually find that doing a wider lunge with my legs really spread apart is easier on my knees for some reason, maybe that could help? You know your body and you know what you can and can't do. I am proud of you!

Aimee: Nice!!! I have a friend who became a phlebotomist after going back to school as well, and she loves it! Good for you! I'm excited to hear how it goes Looks to me like you're actually not doing so bad on your goals. Water is always a toughie. I try to set water mini-goals throughout the day (2 glasses by lunch, 4 glasses by dinner) which makes it so that I'm not chugging it all at the end of the day and getting an upset stomach. Maybe that would help?

As for me: Oh boy, yesterday... - I was pretty darn hungry through the afternoon and temptations abounded. A colleague had bought pizza for a lunch meeting with summer research students and had a TON left over because not as many students showed up as he was planning for. He kept asking me all afternoon if I wanted pizza. I ended up taking a few slices home for DH (he hates beans, so I knew he wouldn't like the dinner I had cooking), so they were in my car and sitting on the counter for an hour after I got home from work... but I didn't even have a BITE!!! I didn't have any other snacks either and made it to dinner intact, so I got my deficit to over 800 yesterday. It's funny that I'm proud of myself for NOT doing something, but I resisted pizza for hours and had to say no multiple times.

I'm scheduled for another TurboJam ab workout today. Normally it's about 20 minutes of abs, 10 minutes standing and 10 minutes on the floor. My lower back is still sore from doing the standing abs work, so I may only do the floor abs today. I know it's just core strength I'm lacking, but I don't want to throw my back out and/or make it difficult to move. We'll see if it feels loosened up after my cardio today (schedule is 20 mins cardio, 20 mins abs) and I'll go from there. About to pop the cardio in as soon as I log off here. Morning workout again! I also realized the Turbo schedule this week doesn't call for a workout on Sunday, but I put it as a goal, so I'll do an extra one!

Got about 3 hours of editing done yesterday afternoon and some prep for my new job (book orders). I'm upset at my protein numbers; I actually felt like I ate a ton of protein yesterday, but I guess I didn't! I did have some rice cakes as a side to my lunch, maybe that's what did it. I'm hoping my appetite doesn't kill me today; I just ate breakfast and I'm still hungry. Have a happy Thursday everyone!!!

Week Goals:

1) Work out T, W, Th, F and Sun. Follow TurboJam schedule. T: yes W: yes
2) Calorie deficit of -3500 T: -447 W: -810 Total: -1,257
3) 64+ oz of water daily T: yes W: yes
4) Try one new recipe this weekend T: N/A W: sausage/bean bake. It's pretty good!
5) In bed by 11:00 every night (my sleeping has gotten wonky) T: 11:03. Close! W: yes
6) Weigh on F and report T-Th: N/A
7) Protein 25-30% of daily/weekly calories T: 18% W: 15% Average: 16.5%

~Terri
Old 05-29-2014, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting frustrated, stuck at 302.3 for days!!
But this is not the time to give up!! I will just dig deeper and ride it out

I just graduated from college last may (at the ripe old age of 49!) It was a 2 year computer programmer/analyst degree. I highly recommend studying to keep the mind sharp and focused. It is also wonderful having some papers to back up the hands on skills I had. Degrees really do open doors!

Good luck Aimee!! and enjoy your time at school... I certainly did.

See you all, at what will be a very frustrating weigh in tomorrow! GRRRrrrr

Let's end this week on a high note!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Good job Terri!
Yesterday I ate terribly! Way too many carbs but there was nothing in the house so I bought a muffin downtown for breakfast. Lunch and dinner weren't so bad but hardly any veggies and I didn't drink nearly enough water either. I'll take it as a win if I don't gain tomorrow!!

Jenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.