Notices

Encouragement

Old 03-10-2014, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default Encouragement

Hello everyone, I am new here but I have been looking at the page regularly for the past month. I joined because I feel like I need motivation to lose the weight/fat. I started my healthier eating approach in February and I weighed 216 lbs and would like to weigh 190 lbs by October. My "problem" is whenever I try to lose weight I don't lose lbs but my clothes start to fit looser which is a good but then (which is what happened this morning) although my outfit fits looser I saw some fat around my waist that I was not there for the past couple weeks and this have me feeling a bit discouraged. Has anyone ever went through something like this before? It happens all the time and I tell myself it makes so sense I'm eating better and exercising and not seeing the results I want. I read a motivation post this morning (I cannot remember the poster's name, I think it was lildebbieg, forgive me if I'm incorrect) but it was along the lines of not giving up on a dream because of the length of time it will take to accomplish the dream, the time is going to pass anyway and it made me feel less "troubled". I do not have anyone else around me trying to lose weight so I feel like I'm by myself in this situation. Thank you for reading and I hope someone can help me out.

Last edited by maldon2012; 03-10-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

If I'm reading your question correctly, you say that your clothes feel looser but you aren't losing pounds. I also read that you are exercising. It may be that your clothes feel looser because you are exercising - and that's a good thing!

It isn't reflected in weight loss (pounds) but that doesn't mean you aren't looking better. I'm sure you must feel better, compared to when you are not exercising.

Exercise doesn't 'spot reduce' but it does strengthen muscles. When your muscles hold you upright better, your waist is going to look and be slimmer, even though you didn't lose weight in a particular spot. What was sagging down on itself is now stretched out and stronger, and that even makes some people gain perhaps 1/4 or 1/2 of an inch in height! So, good work, you!

As for motivation, there is a motivation section here and you can always get the spirit by participating or just reading about someone else's success.

Dieting does take a while to accomplish loss of pounds - except in the case of water weight! That's the surprising weight loss usually at the beginning of a focused diet. The rate levels off after that.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Kathy13118
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

I think, too, that a lot of people who are losing weight know they are doing better because clothes are fitting looser. But we often still see "the fat person" in the mirror and can't "see" the results ourselves. Something like Body Dysmorphic Disorder. But to others we are usually looking much better. Also, is it possible that your body is changing and the "fat" around the middle might not be fat but excess stretched skin that is starting to hang a little? i don't know...just putting some thoughts out there.

Kathy is right. You can't spot reduce. But if you keep at it knowing that you will see the results you want in time and don't give up, then you will be rewarded. Having your clothes fit looser is perfect proof that you are on the right path. Keep at it!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

After having lost quite a bit of weight I noticed a few things. You will lose inches sometimes and sometimes you will lose pounds. Losing either is a good thing and just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean you aren't doing better. Take some measurements every once in a while. Take a progress picture once a month. You will see the differences even if your scale does not.

The other thing I noticed is that your body will change and sometimes you will not like how it changes. For me, I go through stages where my skin becomes saggy and then it tightens back up. It has to do with losing the fat beneath it and building muscle to replace it and skin elasticity. But it can be very discouraging to look at your thighs and think they look awesome because they are smaller but then catch sight of yourself walking and see them jiggling & wiggling.

It all comes with the territory and it can all be very hard emotionally. Having a group to talk to about it really does help. Come on over and join in the motivational thread. I think you will like it.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there maldon2012

I'm glad you found some inspiration in the quote. I too find inspiration in that particualr quote which is why I put it in my signature. In the past when I would start trying to lose weight (again!) I found it very discouraging at the thought of how long it would take...one of the many things that had me throwing in the towel before achieving my goal. This time, I really wanted to change my mindset and to push past those negative feelings, so I put the quote there as a daily reminder to myself.

Your scale may not be moving, but I bet your measurements are changing and given time, the scale will catch up! The scale doesn't tell the whole story so don't forget to take pictures and measurements too! It can be very motivating to see the changes in pictures!

You should stick around here and post in the weekly motivational thread. All of us there have had our ups and downs, but we are all there to support each other. Feel free to join us!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:44 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you all for reading and replying. I will join the motivational thread as per the suggestions
Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

I'm proud to say I lost 1 pound this week, inches and pounds yayyyyy
Old 03-13-2014, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Good for you! Keep it up!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

That's awesome!!! Keep doing what you're doing!