Mind Tricks:  Good and Bad >

Mind Tricks: Good and Bad

Community
Notices

Mind Tricks: Good and Bad

Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Mind Tricks: Good and Bad

I'm sure we all have them. Learning the good ones and recognizing the bad ones is the purpose of this thread.

Good One: Treating my diet as an opportunity to cook and enjoy foods I would not normally cook for myself. I always eat better when dieting.

Bad One: Letting the scales fluctuations send me into doubt that it's all worth it.

Please post your good and bad mind tricks.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Good trick: measure food and weigh it on a scale using a dixie cup. Then use that weight as the standard for that food. Eventually, I recognize the portion size and don't have to weigh the food so often (good to check now and then).
Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 AM
FitDay Member

I agree. I was actually surprised that my meat estimates were close. Works well for things like pecans and almonds where an ounce has so many calories
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 PM
FitDay Member

I have a few issues and have found some potential solutions, at least for the time being:

I have very large sandwich plates, that are absolutely beautiful - so those are now my dinner plates, if I have a bigger plate I really will eat more!

I go to the gym 3 days on 1 off -
Some days my mind is in a bad place and I am imagining myself plodding along, while everyone else looks so fit and healthy

At that point I take my glasses off (I'm blind as a bat without them!) Then the world ceases to exist. I also make a habit of making conversation with whoever has me feeling insecure and they are always (100% without fail) encouraging and even telling me I am doing well - I've lost 23 pounds since Jan
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 AM
FitDay Member

Great Ideas SimplyBea. I love the one about taking your glasses off. Using smaller plates is good too. I really should buy myself some pretty ones. Most the time I use my large plates and sometimes put too much on them because the meal looks too small. A salad does help to fill them up, but if I don't have a salad my food looks like less than my mind thinks it should.

Great progress. I'm sure you are noticing it's getting easier to do things and your clothes feel better. I like those things we notice after losing 10 or 15 percent of our goal.