Notices

Medi-Cal

Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Medi-Cal

Hi.

I am starting the Medi-Cal diet on Feb 13, 2014. At my appointment with Dr. Daniels and his Nurse, Dave, I weighed in at 200.3 pounds. This is the heaviest I've ever weighed. I'm 5'8 inches tall, female and semi muscular. Ironically, I'm this heavy and NOONE believes me when I tell them how much I weigh. People say I carry my weight well, which is probably partially why I have gained so much weight, listening to people tell me how great I look and "it's all in your head". I need to loose weight to feel better overall as well as look better in my clothes but most importantly, I have Ulcerative Colitis, diagnosed over 10 years ago. It's important to maintain a healthy weight with this disease but what happens is, when you're in a Colitis flare, typically you eat little to nothing and feel a great degree of discomfort but when you're well, you tend to over compensate for the times in which you were unable to eat.

I have fully stocked up on my jello, pudding, broth and diet soda, which is something I never drink but thought I would grab a case as a "sweet treat" on any given day. My goal weight is 145-150 pounds by the end of April. I have a treadmill that I will put to good use during this time as well as continue my yoga practice but will increase my yoga practice from 3 times per week to 4. I am excited and nervous about the no food restriction, however, I'm strong willed and will keep you posted on my success. Looking foward to a healthier me this summer.

Last edited by nakt; 02-09-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

I look forward to reading about your progress!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM
FitDay Member

Almost through day 1 of the Medi-Cal diet. Had 2 shakes for breakfast which held me over til around 2 pm. At this time I felt hungry. I had a piece of sugar free gum that held me over til 4:30, when I got home. I mixed 2 scoops of protein powder with water for dinner this eve. So far, I have been hungry, but not feeling as if I'm starving. My natural instincts tell me to eat but of course this is not allowed. Looking forward to a week from today to see how much progress I've made.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:16 PM
FitDay Member

Medi-Cal diet is full of nutrition and it is well liked for the weight loss. I think you have to proceed with that and you are doing right thing with right approach. I did not think on that while I am also doing the weight loss activity. so, I will also try it.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

This morn, day 3 of the diet. I can feel my body starting to go through changes. Seems as though I'm more aware of my overall senses. I feel more calm and mentally stronger in terms of will power, something that I previously lacked. Although the weight that I've lost so far is probably water, I can see a change in my thighs and my midsection. My face feels like it's draining fat; a feeling I have never before experienced. Amazing what you can do once you set your mind to it.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:51 AM
FitDay Member

I've never heard of the Medi-Cal diet...from your post I'm assuming it's a liquid diet? Are you only consuming shakes?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

Yes, it's a liquid diet or fast.

I started the program through an Endocrinologist at one of the top hospitals in Missouri. The fast was designed for people who are overweight or obese who also have medical issues such as digestive diseases, arthritis, diabetes, etc. We all know that too much weight can further complicate these conditions and so the fasting protein powder that is mixed with water, turns into a shake. You are allowed five 100 calorie shakes per day. You can also have a bit of broth (low sodium) is best and if you need to mix a bit of sugar free jellow or pudding with your shake, you can do that. Of course, drink lotsa water and diet soda is allowed. Your body will go into a state of ketosis, therefore, resulting in rapid weight loss. The good thing about this diet is that within the 500 calories per day, you are getting all of the protein and vitamins and minerals needed daily so that you maintain a healthy body including heart muscle.

This fast sounds extreme, I know, but it's been used for 30 plus years and there have been no deaths or other major complications as a result. Again, this program is available through the hospital and all patients are doctor supervised and have routine EKG's and labwork.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nakt
Hi.

I am starting the Medi-Cal diet on Feb 13, 2014. At my appointment with Dr. Daniels and his Nurse, Dave, I weighed in at 200.3 pounds. This is the heaviest I've ever weighed. I'm 5'8 inches tall, female and semi muscular. Ironically, I'm this heavy and NOONE believes me when I tell them how much I weigh. People say I carry my weight well, which is probably partially why I have gained so much weight, listening to people tell me how great I look and "it's all in your head". I need to loose weight to feel better overall as well as look better in my clothes but most importantly, I have Ulcerative Colitis, diagnosed over 10 years ago. It's important to maintain a healthy weight with this disease but what happens is, when you're in a Colitis flare, typically you eat little to nothing and feel a great degree of discomfort but when you're well, you tend to over compensate for the times in which you were unable to eat.

I have fully stocked up on my jello, pudding, broth and diet soda, which is something I never drink but thought I would grab a case as a "sweet treat" on any given day. My goal weight is 145-150 pounds by the end of April. I have a treadmill that I will put to good use during this time as well as continue my yoga practice but will increase my yoga practice from 3 times per week to 4. I am excited and nervous about the no food restriction, however, I'm strong willed and will keep you posted on my success. Looking foward to a healthier me this summer.
Dear Nakt,

I cant find anything about this diet on the web. I entered the "Medi-Cal diet" into Google to find links to a premium dog cat food company! Does it go by another name?

Your goal weight is to drop 45-50 lbs by April 28, 2014? In 72 days is almost 0.70 lbs every day or nearly 5 lbs per week.

Have you calculated how much time for Cardio activity you will need to do on a daily basis to drop to achieve your target of 50 lbs in 72 days?

I found this when I entered 50 lbs in 70 days.

Going from Obese to Bikini Body — Briana Case Study (Plus: New Tools, 4-Hour Body Group)

I have incorporated a treadmill for cardio: 60-70 min daily five days a week burning under 700 calories for the past six weeks. Fitday calculators score the calorie burn much higher +200-300 calories. Are you planning on lifting weights to keep lean muscle or is this a super fast fat loss plan only?

Best of luck,

Deliverance14
Old 03-25-2024, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

Hello! It's no secret that healthcare costs are skyrocketing and many people are finding themselves unable to afford the insurance they need. That's where Nevada Health Link comes in, offering a convenient, easy-to-use online platform to help you find affordable health insurance. Using this service is very convenient, and if someone needs help, then nevada health link customer service will provide it so that everyone gets the best insurance for themselves.