Notices

Today it all starts

Old 12-19-2013, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

Angry Today it all starts

I've decided that although I love myself and think I look beautiful, the reality of it is that I weigh 65 pounds heavier than I did last year. Quitting smoking, a break up, and an injury had proven to get the best of me when it comes to my health.

I've been blessed with a great self image and high self esteem, but I'm getting to a point where I can't continue to tell myself 'oh I'll loose it once I start working out again'. Truth be told I've allowed myself to slide into such an unhealthy lifestyle even I can't believe how much I've let myself go. I laugh and make it seem like I don't care, but I do. It's not fun anymore to joke about it and have a ohhh whatever mentality. This time last year I weighed 160, I now weigh 220. Life is hard when you're heavy. My clothes don't fit anymore(it's expensive having to replace my wardrobe). People are looking at me, in shock at how much I've changed(and no this isn't paranoia). Family members are asking me if everything is OK. It's not fun. No matter how much confidence I have, being unhealthy is just that unhealthy and not funny either.

I'm writing this to remind myself of how I feel and how others are making me feel. It's time for me to take control back into my life and live healthy again.

No more food obsessions. Eating when bored. Eating when tired to stay awake. Eatting when happy, when sad, when anxious, when procrastinating, when the moon is full and the sun is shining...basically whenever the F i feel like it. I have to stop that.

Laying around thinking of what to eat next.

I'm an out of shape, overweight athlete and it's time to change that.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome brokebrock1979! That was a lot of things to happen to you in one year! I quit smoking 15 years ago and gained weight. For me, that was the start of the yo-yoing so I can very much relate to the weight gain when quitting smoking. Glad you're here! Looking forward to reading your posts.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

Your honesty is refreshing, I recently made the same decision to take my life back. I too had to be really honest with myself about how unhealthy my lifestyle was.

To share some of the things I've learned, do your research about how you eat, and what you eat. Get your protein up, I mean way up! I've learned so much about protein in the last week that I didn't realize. My old diet (using fitday to put in a "typical day" before my lifestlye change) was VERY high in calories, and VERY bad calorie breakdown. Only 10% was coming from Protein, I adjusted the foods I eat and tracking them makes me feel like I have power I didn't have before. I strongly suggest tracking what you eat (and the phone app from fitday is awesome too btw). It gives you a sense of control over your health that you may not have otherwise. It's also something that you can use to look back on your habits, see where you start developing bad habits, or see what good habits worked!

Get your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Fitday calculates this for you, it's effected by your weight so as you lose, it is going to go down, you can basically control your weight loss using these numbers. Also since those numbers on calories burned might not be exact depending on your personal metobolism. Tracking the difference between that base number and your actual number is a good way to gauge your weight loss. So far it has been a wonderful tool for me in the beginning of my journy!

Congratulations on taking your life back! keep us updated (good or bad) and ask questions, people here seem very knowledgeable so far from what I have read, as well as most seem supportive and have a pretty good sense of humor lol.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Debbie very much!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Prospect84
Your honesty is refreshing, I recently made the same decision to take my life back. I too had to be really honest with myself about how unhealthy my lifestyle was.

To share some of the things I've learned, do your research about how you eat, and what you eat. Get your protein up, I mean way up! I've learned so much about protein in the last week that I didn't realize. My old diet (using fitday to put in a "typical day" before my lifestlye change) was VERY high in calories, and VERY bad calorie breakdown. Only 10% was coming from Protein, I adjusted the foods I eat and tracking them makes me feel like I have power I didn't have before. I strongly suggest tracking what you eat (and the phone app from fitday is awesome too btw). It gives you a sense of control over your health that you may not have otherwise. It's also something that you can use to look back on your habits, see where you start developing bad habits, or see what good habits worked!

Get your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Fitday calculates this for you, it's effected by your weight so as you lose, it is going to go down, you can basically control your weight loss using these numbers. Also since those numbers on calories burned might not be exact depending on your personal metobolism. Tracking the difference between that base number and your actual number is a good way to gauge your weight loss. So far it has been a wonderful tool for me in the beginning of my journy!

Congratulations on taking your life back! keep us updated (good or bad) and ask questions, people here seem very knowledgeable so far from what I have read, as well as most seem supportive and have a pretty good sense of humor lol.
Thanks Prospect84, I appreciate your sharing what has worked for you. I hope to be a success story one of these days...
Old 12-20-2013, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

Heh, yeah I started a thread in the Newcomers community like a public diary that I am following up with every day or as often as possible. I use a laptop at work so I am able to access it very often. One day I'll hopefully join the "success story" community with my story but it's very early in my journey to a healthier life.

Last edited by Prospect84; 12-20-2013 at 07:01 AM.