Notices

Gaining weight on my period - Does this happen to you too?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Gaining weight on my period - Does this happen to you too?

Every period (hooray on it now), I gain weight. It does eventually slip off, but i find it quite upsetting to see my body blow up into a giant ball, complete with puffy fingers and swollen legs.

I gain 1-2kg (2.2-4.4lb).

How much do you gain?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM
FitDay Member

I can easily fluctuate by ~5 lbs. every month around that time. I think this is completely normal for me. I watch my salt and drink a lot of water.
I avoid the scale because it really is maddening!!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:55 AM
FitDay Member

It's just water weight..........not fat. Water weight comes and goes depending on a lot of things including your sodium intake and your water intake along with the TOM. If you are on a weight loss program it doesn't slow it down because the weight gain is temporary. People choose to weigh themselves less frequently (e.g., weekly instead of daily) if they are bothered by the temporary fluctuations.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:14 PM
FitDay Member

I'm so happy to see it coming off now. Almost back to my starting (pre-period) weight. I understand it's water-weight, though i find it quite disheartening to see myself blow up when i've done so well at bringing the kilos off.

Apart from watching salt, does anyone have any other tips/ experience with reducing the massive bloating during menstruation?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

me too i gain that too but the last day i lose 3-5 pounds