Notices

New moms- nursing

Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default New moms- nursing

Hi all,

Im wondering how I should go about a calorie allowance to lose weight, but still be able to keep up with nursing my daughter. I know breastfeeding accounts for about 600 cals a day. Should I just add those to what Im trying to stay under? Im looking to get down about 40lbs by mid October, but dont want to overdo it in a way that would effect feeding the little one.

Also, my activity is pretty minimal atm. Still recovering from c section. As soon as I get the go ahead Ill be back in the gym, but I think thats another 2-4 weeks away..
Old 04-28-2013, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Honestly, I have no idea about weight loss/calorie intake while breastfeeding. I just want to give you a big high-five for breastfeeding your baby. Nursing is certainly hard, but once you get in the groove it couldn't be a more wonderful or easier way to care for your baby. I hope you get the answers you need!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default take care of yourself so you can take care of the baby

Kudos to you for breastfeeding. Top tip from someone who has been there and done that with both the nursing and the c-section. Just be gentle on yourself. Do not try to diet at all - just nourish yourself with the best food you can, and allow yourself cake if you want it.
Yes, you may feel like you're not losing the weight - but you'll notice your milk supply may get compromised almost immediately you drop your calories.

Stay off here for the time being, don't dash back to the gym - some walks pushing the baby around, and perhaps in a few weeks some pilates to help strengthen those abs, are all you need right now. Plenty of time later for the hardcore stuff.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Take it easy

Congratulations on the new baby! Enjoy this time--they don't stay tiny and cuddly for very long--it only seems long while you are experiencing it.

Don't worry about losing weight just yet--first recover from the Caesarian (which is major surgery, despite everyone trying to convince you it is a minor thing). Eat a good balanced diet,and be sure to drink extra water.

While nursing each of my three children, I found that eating healthy balanced diet, even though I ate lot more food than I had been used to eating, allowed the weight to slip off without thinking about it. The major point is, and here I probably sound like the previous writers on your thread, is to make sure you have lots of fruits, vegetables, protein, vitamins, and liquids. Your first priorities are recovering from the pregnancy and the surgery and taking care of your baby, Getting serious about exercise and losing weight are lower down on the list.

And pushing a baby stroller around the neighborhood is also good exercise.

Yehudit