Notices

New from Canada

Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default New from Canada

Hi all, just joined today. I am in my late 50`s, 235 lbs and my goal is to lose about 85 lbs. I sit at home most of the day, and finally decided to do something about my weight. For those who have been successful in achieving your goals, in addition to tracking and reducing the calories on average how much exercise did you do per week.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Nan, and welcome. I have a home business, so I sit most of the day in front of my computer. For exercise, I made my goal to get an hour of "extra movement" a day. This can be yard work (my yard's looking a lot better!), walking, yoga, interval workouts, dancing, weight lifting (I do it with bottles of water), going up and down a flight of stairs 10-20 times - anything that gets me moving.

There's a lot available online. Leslie Sansone has some walking in place DVDs and there are some on youtube. I sometimes do it to the youtube video and sometimes just take the moves and do them while I'm watching a half-hour tv show.

I also sometimes do a 10-minute interval workout by Jonathan Roche (also on YouTube).

There's a weekly motivation thread on the forums here that I've found very useful. It starts fresh each Monday. People post their daily goals for the week, then report back about how they're doing. Having to report in about how I'm doing helps motivate me. If I haven't got my 60 min of movement in for the day and it's 10 pm, I'll usually do 20 mins more just so I can put a "Yes" for that goal. People are very supportive there.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Carolyn,
Thank you so much. You gave me lots of valuable info, and i will sure to check out the videos online, as well as try to target for weekly goals. I have been up and down for most of my life with weight loss, and now this is the heaviest i have been, and now that the weather is warming up here, I realise now i don't need the winter coat to hide the body I am becoming more anxious about losing the weight. With the help of this forum and my goals I have no doubt that i will reach my goal starting with one step at a time.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
FitDay Member

Nan, work with daily goals. It's hard enough to get through a day - I don't think I could focus on daily goals. Everybody's goals are different, and they change over time, but I found it really helpful to lay out some goals I could aim for each day. I think I started with 3 daily goals: calories under 1400, an hour extra movement a day, and no sugar or white flour.

It can be very discouraging sometimes. I would feel liked I worked so hard to eat right and get some exercise in, and my scale was hardly budging. I tried to focus on meeting my goals - and feeling good about myself when I did - rather than making weight loss the only measure of success.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default New here from Ontario Canada

Hi all. I don't get much support at home so I will be here a lot. Today I am trying to drink more water. I hope to get 6 glasses in by the end of the day. I have 65 pounds to lose and would appreciate getting support and being of help to others.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 PM
FitDay Member

Default Good day

I thought my calories were to high but I lost half a pound. Whoo Hoo.
How is every one else doing?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lilbits120
Hi all. I don't get much support at home so I will be here a lot. Today I am trying to drink more water. I hope to get 6 glasses in by the end of the day. I have 65 pounds to lose and would appreciate getting support and being of help to others.
Welcome, lilbits. Come join us over on the weekly motivation thread. That's one of the few active places on the forum. You'll get lots of support there. Congrats on your 1/2 pound loss.