Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

a lady should never cut the cheese... ;-)
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

I have lost 55 pounds in 3 month. ( 6.4 muscular - 314-261 ).

First month was starvation diet - just a glass of milk a day. and lots of training ( I do amateur MMA and rugby )
Lost 30 pounds.
Second month was just keep under 1500 calories and add jogging - lost around 15 pounds.

Now i switched to ... pretty much vegetarian Paleo/primal, I have nothing against meat, except it is packed with hormones. No sugar, no processed foods. Everything organic, Fish is wild caught.

And, what can I say, I feel so much healthier, mood improved, and I eat a lot now, like a lot, and it is still below my calorie reqs.I stopped craving sweets.. now i crave bananas lol.

25 pounds to go, and sure as hell i will stick to this diet forever.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 AM
FitDay Member

Just bumping up the primal thread.

Going on a six-week strict primal kick starting tomorrow to round out the end of a five-month leaning journey. Then it will be all about maintenance. I'm already down about 8 lbs from New Years Day but I want to push this as far as I healthily can.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default medifast to paleo

I am going to transition from medifast to paleo--I have heard if one doesn't transition "properly" from Medifast, the weight will come right back on! I want to get back to real food, while maintaining this weight!
I am training for another half marathon, and have been very concerned about not having enough carbs to maintain me through the distance.
Any suggestions as how to do this transition?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

I heard the coconut oil, etc is the way to go for coffee---although I haven't tried it yet?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I'm into week 4 primal. I've lost 24lbs and my blood sugar is very nearly normal. I feel really well and not suffering from hunger. Its the best thing i've done giving up grains and cutting out processed foods.Plus its saved me a chunk of money.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 PM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Did you miss the historical evidence?

Just a small point on carbs:

Stone Age hunters liked their carbs | ScienceNordic

"Analyses of Stone Age settlements reveal that the hunters were healthy and would gladly eat anything they could get their hands on, including carbohydrates – contrary to the modern definition of the Paleolithic, or Stone Age diet"
Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi AutumnSadie...Of course they would eat carbs: berries, nuts, fruits, tubers, etc. Anyone would eat anything that didn't hurt, if hungry. What they did NOT have are baked goods, french fried potatoes in crappy oils, and so on. Even the Inuit's diet of meat and fat included the liver of animals, and that has carbs. I do not recall anyone in the primal/paleo forums suggesting 0 carbs unless for a brief time as a n=1, or unless they also include offal in their diets. What people do suggest is having plenty of vegetables, along with protein and healthy fats and to do n=1 to see what works best on an individual basis.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AiliElaine
Of course they would eat carbs: berries, nuts, fruits, tubers, etc. Anyone would eat anything that didn't hurt, if hungry. What they did NOT have are baked goods, french fried potatoes in crappy oils, and so on.
Yeh, I'm cool with idea that in paleo apples, pears, berries, nuts, tubers - natural carbs are "allowed". All fine.

It's the position that grains are not allowed, such as rice/ quinoa/ breads - that article provides evidence that such "cavemen" DID eat the grain-like carbohydrates.

Naturally eating highly processed foods, processed sugars, fried foods, donuts, hot chips would not be in the Paleolithic/ Neolithic diet - they really ought not be in our modern day diet either.... but it's not for any reason but the nutrition factor.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks! I have found little evidence that paleo folks ate grains, and would be keen to learn more. My understanding is that since grains and legumes need to be cooked, they would not have been consumed. The authors noted below suggest that neolithic eating, aka 'us', could have whole grains. I do know that for me, my life has improved immensely health-wise from eliminating grains, legumes and alcohol (although I was not a regular imbiber before). No more inflammation keeping me up at night, GERD= gone, and so on.
from Cardiovascular Disease Resulting From a Diet and Lifestyle at Odds With
Our Paleolithic Genome: How to Become a 21st-Century Hunter-Gatherer
JAMESH. O’KEEFE, JR, MD, AND LORENCORDAIN, PHD
"Furthermore, studies of bones and
teeth reveal that populations who changed to a grain-based
diet had shorter life spans, higher childhood mortality, and
a higher incidence of osteoporosis, rickets, and various
other mineral- and vitamin-deficiency diseases.

When former hunter-gatherers adopt Western lifestyles, obesity,
type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis, and other diseases of civilization become commonplace."

Mayo Clin Proc, January 2004, Vol 79

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.