Notices

Activity not in database: How to customize an existing activity?

Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 AM
fitday_jim

Hi Everyone. Great suggestions. Sometimes getting the correct calorie burned information for activities can be hard. Vendors aren't always the most reliable sources and studies that contain all the info are a bit hard to come by.

We would love to do custom activity functionality, but it isn't quite as easy as custom foods. Where foods have a certain nutrition for everyone who eats it, activities don't work that way. Usually calorie burn is determined by a percentage of your normal metabolism. So, for example, doing some hard work might burn 200% of you normal metabolism. Most users won't have this kind of information to create the custom activity. You can't just enter 200 calories/hr because that will change as your weight and metabolism change. We will think about it though and see if we can simplify and get something to you.

Also, keep up the suggestions for which activites to add to our database. I will do special searches for these activities and try to find some studies with good data.

Thanks again! We love the suggestions.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 AM
fitday_jim

I just thought of a possible enhancement that might work. What if we just added a way to enter extra calories in your activity chart? So, in the case where you know the machine told you that you burned 300 calories, you could just enter an extra 300 calories without having FitDay do the calculation for you?

Give me some feedback on whether that would help. It would get around FitDay needing to know every activity, but isn't quite as convenient.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fitday_jim
I just thought of a possible enhancement that might work. What if we just added a way to enter extra calories in your activity chart? So, in the case where you know the machine told you that you burned 300 calories, you could just enter an extra 300 calories without having FitDay do the calculation for you?

Give me some feedback on whether that would help. It would get around FitDay needing to know every activity, but isn't quite as convenient.
I think that is a great possibility. I also have trouble with entering my lifestyle. I stand all day at work, but it automatically calculates standing as what i am doing when I don't enter anything else all day. I would like to be able to fill in number of hours I am working during a day under that category.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:11 AM
fitday_jim

FitDay does make some assumptions based on your lifestyle choice. If you say "standing" for your lifestyle, it doesn't use that for all 24 hours, just for some estimate of average work day. Our PC application allows you to customize this in detail. That is somethng we can consider moving to the web version.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

I think that this option would be great! I too use the Wii Fit, tredmill and eliptical which gives me calories burned. Currently when i use the Wii Fit I choose Yoga as my activity and alter the time of the activity to match the Wii Fit estimated calories burned. I would much rather enter the calories burned and not have to adjust other activities!

Thank You!!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
FitDay Member

Sometimes getting the correct calorie burned information for activities can be hard. Vendors aren't always the most reliable sources and studies that contain all the info are a bit hard to come by.
I agree - the more you weigh, the more you'll burn. Sometimes you give 70% to your workout, and sometimes you give it all 100%. What I'd suggest for the ability to input your total DAILY exercise calories burned instead of just a fixed 'elliptical -800 calories' exercise item. That'd solve this issue in a second. The machine said I burned roughly 800 calories so that's what I put in instead of creating "Elliptical - 80% at 6 resistance and 20 degree incline" etc.

The more people using it, the more ad revenue you'll make
Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 AM
fitday_jim

OK, I am going to talk this over here and think about a nice solution. Thanks for all the input and if you think of anything else keep posting. We do follow these boards closely.

Originally Posted by Bhaltair
The more people using it, the more ad revenue you'll make
We love people using the app and we do like revenue, but we always try to get the solution correct over ad views. If we can make the app better and it happens to drop page views, we always come down on the side of a better app. But I get your point. We definitly like having more people use FitDay!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:19 PM
FitDay Member

I also think this would be a great addition! I'd still like to see the activities we mentioned added (I have no idea how many calories my Pilates and yoga classes burn) but I understand that takes research. So for now I think your idea would be a good enhancement. Thanks for listening! ~Holly
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

Default add breastfeeding?

Is there a way to tell the program that I'm nursing a 2 month old, so that it might adjust the calorie info? Just curious b/c I know nursing ups my base calorie burn...
Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Wii and Elliptical!

I find it fabulous that Wii and ellipitcal are the two activities in question... because those are the two activities I was hoping to find!

I look forward to seeing these in the activities log!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.