Buffering the hunger pains >

Buffering the hunger pains

Community
Notices

Buffering the hunger pains

Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 PM
FitDay Member

Arrow Buffering the hunger pains

Hey guys, I discovered this little tip while doing the $2 a day fundraiser a few years go. To help tackle hunger pains, without eating, you can drink a big warm glass of water. It'll help with making you feel full, and I recommend doing it before eating as well, as it is a massive help with making the transition to smaller portions easier.

On a different note, there is a very good chance that I have hyperglycemia- Which complicates things a bit for me (and also means the warm water trick doesn't tackle my major concern) . If I don't eat, I get shakey, dizzy and it can lead to a whole load of health problems later on. Lately I've been having a lot of Low GI foods, high fiber, some fruit and meat. But nothing seems to help with the dizzyness more than a big salty greasy meal, such as pizza. Or something very sugary for stopping the dizziness in the short-term.
I've found that I am very lethargic and often shaky between meals when I'm eating well- Yogurt, oats, lean red meat, chicken, salads, veggies, loads of water.

Any tips? I've been eating healthily for around 4 months now, and I expected my body just needed to get used to the diet change, but this hasn't happened.

Last edited by Ninykinin; 12-18-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
FitDay Member

Its really new thing for me and can not say any thing about it.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 AM
FitDay Member

If you are feeling unwell I would suggest 2 things. first of all, eat every 3 hrs and make sure you have some protein at each meal/snack so your blood sugar remains stable. Secondly, if after eating at regular intervals you are still shaky and dizzy you ought to speak with your family doctor and have some blood work done. Speaking with a dietician is always a wise idea as well. Best of luck
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

I'm hypoclycemic and I eat often, every 2-3 hours and low carb. Can't handle greasy food. That's what works for me but you may need to see a doctor. Please try to get it under control before you start blacking out (like I did.) You may be hypoglycemic OR you may be diabetic (or pre) which would explain why immediate sugar or pizza (which also has a good amount of refined carbs) make you feel better short term (tho it will hurt in the long run.) Don't let this go.

Last edited by canary52; 12-20-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

I'm with Hope on this one. Consider adding more protein to your meals (lowfat cheese, handful of almonds, greek yogurt are all good add-ins). If you plan to eat every 3 hours or so, it will keeps your levels at a more steady pace.

I keep tangerines around, when those days hit me (usually a day after a hard workout) where it seems I cant get enough to eat. I'll eat a tangerine 2 hrs after each meal, and there is enough natural sugar in it to keep my blood sugars up, but not too much that it causes problems. Its a low calorie snack and healthy too.

If you havent been to your dr. in awhile, consider getting your A1C checked; my endocrynologist group has a great nutrition team who have helped me tremendously!

Good luck,
Old 12-22-2012, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

If you are eating more fiber (a good thing), you need to drink a lot of water, especially if you are new to high fiber stuff. I think a 'logey' feeling comes from the slow-down of digestion and elimination, and it takes some time for your body to catch up to your new habits. Drink more water, maybe some prune juice along with it.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

Eating a tablespoon of coconut oil helps a lot.
or...
Open your mind and take a look a paleo/primal it WILL cure your hyperglycemia. Eat the way humans have eaten for 100,000 years, not the 10,000 year old agriculture diet, or the 60 year old low fat diet.