Notices

Can't figure out how to use site with all the ADS!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Can't figure out how to use site with all the ADS!

What a horrible user experience. The ads are extremely distracting and get in the way of actually using the site for its intended purpose. Find a better way to make money!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
FitDay Member

It is heinous to use. It seems the only way around the issue is to buy the premium package. But since there is no month to month trial... I have no intention of supporting this site.

It's too bad... I really like the comprehensive food value trackers, I love the ability to alter the nutritional goals outside of RDA values (my husband has kindney disease and this is essential)...

BUT

It took me about an HOUR for EACH day's values. No way am I gonna spend that kind of time. Alternatively, I am not going to spend $50 for a product just to test it out.

I feel like this is a form of bait and switch. A great product, but you can't use it as advertised...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry you had that experience. In reality, I think it varies from person to person. I have Premium, so no ads, but I had the regular version for 2.5 years previously and never noticed it being balky or slow.

Some browsers are better than others...Firefox is the best, I think; IE not so much. Others have complained about problems with the site loading also; you're not alone, but most are using it without this issue, so I don't think bait and switch is a fair assumption.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by baldien01
What a horrible user experience. The ads are extremely distracting and get in the way of actually using the site for its intended purpose. Find a better way to make money!
Yes you are right but most of sites have lots of ads and they earning money from it.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

If you like the features of the site but hate the ads, then just buy the membership and get full access to the things you like with out the ads.... Seems legit to me.

It's a great system, I've used it for three years and lost 120lb's with it's help.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Facebook Icon (Ad) Hangs Page Load

There was an Issue this morning with Fitday failing to load the full page. It appeared it may have been hung waiting for the Facebook icon. Is the Facebook ad really necessary on pages of premium subscribers?

I refer to these icons as ads, (Facebook and Twitter) because the graphic is served by directly from Facebook, they link directly their site, and provide information on my page views to that corporation without my consent.

I prefer not to be tracked by Facebook when I log my activities on Fitday, and this morning they apparently were causing Fitday pages to hang waiting for their 'service.'

dmartz
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by dmartz
There was an Issue this morning with Fitday failing to load the full page. It appeared it may have been hung waiting for the Facebook icon. Is the Facebook ad really necessary on pages of premium subscribers?

I refer to these icons as ads, (Facebook and Twitter) because the graphic is served by directly from Facebook, they link directly their site, and provide information on my page views to that corporation without my consent.

I prefer not to be tracked by Facebook when I log my activities on Fitday, and this morning they apparently were causing Fitday pages to hang waiting for their 'service.'

dmartz
Your seriously complaining about three social media icons that link to their own fan page? Nobody is tracking anybody and if you are logged into Facebook you agree to their terms and conditions. Links and ads are two separate things... Also the issue today had nothing to do with the icon because where I am right now Facebook is blocked and I can use Fitday with no problems.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by raresolid
Your seriously complaining about three social media icons that link to their own fan page? Nobody is tracking anybody and if you are logged into Facebook you agree to their terms and conditions. Links and ads are two separate things... Also the issue today had nothing to do with the icon because where I am right now Facebook is blocked and I can use Fitday with no problems.
Yes, I was complaining about one of three social media icons that apparently kept my page from loading. Your mileage may vary.

You may also believe that 'Nobody is tracking anybody,' but IMO when they (Facebook, in this case) directly serves the ad (or icon,) they are receiving my IP address and info about the page it is embedded on. They can then correlate this with all the other pages with this link viewed by my IP, and associate that with info they may (or may not) be provided by the sites that I view. With all this information they can derive a profile about the viewing habits at this address, and perhaps even identify the users at this address. Even if I have never explicitly signed into their specific site.

But mainly I'm complaining because their links slow page loading times, and sometimes cause pages to hang waiting third party hosts to respond. I can provide direct evidence of this from my logs if you'd like.

- Donna
Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Donna, if you can post a screen shot when you're having trouble, that might help the tech folks figure out what's going on. Hopefully they can take care of that problem for you.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie. The problem yesterday seems to have been transient. Next time I notice it I'll submit request/response data, rather than just carping about it.

- Donna