Notices

SOOOO Discouraged

Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Question SOOOO Discouraged

Height: 5' 6"
Weight: Too much! would like to lose around 40 lbs to get back down to 140-146 range
Activity: Office job (currently have plantar faciitis in both feet)

Two weeks ago Saturday started with a weight loss clinic -
-Have had 3 B12 shots
-Take 10 mg of phentermine daily
-500 mg of metformin
and counting carbs
30 @ breakfast
20 for snack
30 @ lunch
20 for snack
30 @ dinner
20 for snack

AND my pants feel loose but not around the waist area in the seat area. Of course I keep my fitday food log and have been 'good' with my foods and have never went over 150 calories.

I read articles "I lost 10 lbs in one week" or "Lose 30 lbs in 2 months" or whatever the headlines may be and I am feeling discouraged after this hard work.

Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Arildia
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: Too much! would like to lose around 40 lbs to get back down to 140-146 range
Activity: Office job (currently have plantar faciitis in both feet)

Two weeks ago Saturday started with a weight loss clinic -
-Have had 3 B12 shots
-Take 10 mg of phentermine daily
-500 mg of metformin
and counting carbs
30 @ breakfast
20 for snack
30 @ lunch
20 for snack
30 @ dinner
20 for snack

AND my pants feel loose but not around the waist area in the seat area. Of course I keep my fitday food log and have been 'good' with my foods and have never went over 150 calories.

I read articles "I lost 10 lbs in one week" or "Lose 30 lbs in 2 months" or whatever the headlines may be and I am feeling discouraged after this hard work.

Any ideas?
Do pay attention to those articles they are usually bogus. How many calories are you taking in on average?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Arildia
Of course I keep my fitday food log and have been 'good' with my foods and have never went over 150 calories.
Did you mean 1500 calories? What is your Base Metabolic Rate (how much does Fitday say you burn each day)? Your 150 carbs a day are about 600 calories or 40% of a 1500 calorie diet.

Your weight loss depends on the calorie deficit you attain. A 500 calorie deficit will yield about a one pound per week loss. (A pound of weight equates to roughly 3500 calories so 500 x 7 days = 3500). If you have a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day you will see about a 2 pound loss per week.

1 to 2 pounds per week is a good healthy rate.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by ahappieru
Sorry, I saw the 150 calories and just assumed it was a typo. Now I am thinking you did mean carbs but 150 seems low for carbs for a women too! I thought women get 45 carbs for meals.
Carb count depends on diet being followed. I lose weight only when I keep carbs super-low (yes, even when I should be losing based on calories in/out). Like net 10-15 grams per meal.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hang in there Arildia! It can take a while to find the dietary sweet spot (OK I don't mean actual sweets!). Can you bike or swim to get a little cardio going w/o irritating the PF?

And yeah, those 30 lbs in 30 days are a bunch of bologna (ummm, why to I keep finding food metaphores???) Take a close look at the calorie and nutrient breakdown in FitDay and see if you can tweek something like adding a little more protein or few less carbs.

We all have to figure out what works for us individually - with time you will too. I promise
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up hang in there.

just started today and i am way older...pls stick in there. i wished i had started a lot sooner. don't have any answers but i am a good cheerleader. you go girl! any progress is just that progress.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Carb counting is important (at least it is to me) -- BUT the quality of the carbs counts. 30g of carbs from white bread is not the same as 30g of carbs from high quality vegetables.

You have to find the plan that works for you Low Carb Mediterranean (sorry about the previous link) or Primal are both low-carb. Both contain a lot of fat -- that's been working for me [working as in, losing about 1/2 lb per week, but never going hungry]. I eat all I want -- if I'm hungry, I eat a teaspoon of coconut oil. If I'm still hungry 20 mins later, I eat whatever meat I have and as many vegetables as I want. That works for me. I hate counting calores ;-) I think the good quality fat is the key - over half my calories are fat calories, yet my abdomen is shrinking (albeit, slowly).

For most of us, the weight didn't go ON overnight; we shouldn't expect it to come OFF overnight, either.

Last edited by JulieGentry; 10-10-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: link
Old 10-13-2012, 03:14 PM
FitDay Member

Hello there. IO have been with fit day on and off a nd back on for a while. I had to work really hard at changing somne of my bad habits. Something I got from weight watchers is to measure your self and write it down. Then when you are not seeing the poiunds come off remeasure. It can make a difference in you attitude right there. Mussel wieghs 2 times what fat does and takes up a whole lot less space. So hang in there..