To run or not to run

Community
Notices

To run or not to run

Old 09-19-2012, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default To run or not to run

Hey

I had a case of tonsilitis starting last tuesday and although my right tonsil still feels a bit enflamed I think I'm well over the worst of it. I have no started to sneeze and have a slight cough with is usually just coughing up a bit of phlegm.

I went for a short run sunday evening just to see where I was and after 10 minutes I was struggling and I wasn't even running a decent pace.

I usually run about 25-30K per week up to 90 minutes at a time and am supposed to be training for a 10k race in November.

I've missed my usual running this week, but have used weight, kettlebells and my punchbag to stop boredom.

My question really is, tomorrow morning I want to get up and have up to 2 hours to run in. Is it worth waiting until I'm fully fit before running again or do you think I'll be ok running tomorrow?

If I feel rough tomorrow whilst running I will stop but I don't want to delay my full recovery just for the sake of a 1500 calorie run.

I appreciate everyone is individual but any advice or experiences would be great.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

hmmmm.... that is a tough one. I would say run because I know that is what I would so, but I am not sure that is the best medical advice.

It is probably better to wait until you are breathing better before you do too much. Strength training and lighter cardio type work can be just as helpful when training for a race. Work on strengthing some other muscles and toning your core instead. You have some time before your race so it is probably better advice that you don't run. Work on healing before you get back into your running/training program and do something else to build muscle and burn the calories you need.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by liberatedmist
hmmmm.... that is a tough one. I would say run because I know that is what I would so, but I am not sure that is the best medical advice.

It is probably better to wait until you are breathing better before you do too much. Strength training and lighter cardio type work can be just as helpful when training for a race. Work on strengthing some other muscles and toning your core instead. You have some time before your race so it is probably better advice that you don't run. Work on healing before you get back into your running/training program and do something else to build muscle and burn the calories you need.
See I think just by asking this question I probably knew the answer anyway. I have a weekend off work so will smash it on Saturday, but I am still setting my alarm tomorrow to get up and I'll see how I feel first thing.

Because I do have some time I'm willing to run the risk of a delayed recovery by trying out a decent sized run tomorrow, I just don't want to do any damage to my insides. I'm pretty sure what I have is just neck up rather than anything in my chest which makes me think just go for it. :/ HRRMM what to do!!

Play it safe and wait 2 more days or just go for it? My upper body muscles are a bit sore from weight training and powersets earlier this week so don't want to do anymore weight training or kettlebell sets until the weekend.

I do have a mountain bike which I'm building into my training plan, just feel very guilty this week as was off on holiday last week so didnt train at all. I can't go 2 weeks without running
Old 09-19-2012, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

If you really feel the need to run (and yes, I have been there) then I would suggest a slower paced endurance run. Try not to get your breathing up too high, take a lot of walk breaks and do a slow paced endurance run....not a fast speed workout. Hopefully some other people will weigh in, but that is my opinion. Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=liberatedmist;89319]take a lot of walk breaksQUOTE]

Not on your life!!! I run til I cant run no more
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM
FitDay Member

Try running now ... today ...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 PM
FitDay Member

To run,because I think this is fun, And make my body make better.