Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread 8/6/12: Let's Bring It! >

7-Day Motivational Thread 8/6/12: Let's Bring It!

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread 8/6/12: Let's Bring It!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

Kayla, great job on your trip to Dairy Queen and on your exercise! Here's some unsolicited advice for you but don't feel pressured into reading it. It's just there if you want it. You are very wise to do more research on low carb. You will be happy to learn you can enjoy a great variety of delicious foods without having to give up any food groups. Oh, I'm not implying that you only eat fish and fruit--I know that was because you indulged in a good amount of strawberries and wanted to do some damage control by eating zero carb fish. I often use meat, fish, or zero net carb flaxmeal myself to satisfy hunger when I'm way over on carbs. I eat meat, dairy, veggies, fruits and grains daily for a really well balanced diet at only 25 net carbs per day. Don't forget to deduct the milk carbs that are killed off by bacteria if your yogurt says it "CONTAINS" (not is "made with") live cultures and contains at least two kinds of bacteria. You can deduct something like 7g carbs. Here's a really good article about that: Yogurt on a Low-Carb Diet - Counting the Carbs in Yogurt

A few of us posted some low carb recipes in FitDay at: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...b-recipes.html

I don't buy a lot of special low carb foods, but I can share with you some products that have helped me low carb it so I don't have feelings of deprivation:

--low carb tortillas are a wonderful substitute for bread. Mission Carb Balance, Extreme Wellness, and something like Bandarito are tasty. Also there are now many delicious "Light/Lite" breads that are lower in carbs. OR enjoy your normal amount of sandwich filling, but on just one slice of bread or half a tortilla. Add fresh spinach or lettuce to make up the difference in bulk so you don't feel like you're eating just half a sandwich.
--Dreamfields pasta has lower "digestible carbs." I can keep my blood sugar normal by eating it. Because of the manufacturing process, it can be counted as 5g carbs per serving instead of the regular 41g. It's the only pasta I serve to my family and they all agree it tastes just like full carb pasta.
--Classico brand has some delicious sauces that are naturally low carb--like roasted red pepper Alfredo, Sun Dried Tomato and Basil (not sure of exact name.) I find them in the spaghetti sauce aisle.
--You can make mac cheese with Dreamfield's pasta and Cheesy Ragu Double Cheddar sauce--also in the spaghetti sauce aisle
--Enjoy your yogurt by deducting those milk carbs. Or if you have a Kroger grocery store, they sell a CarbMasters Dairy Blend (fake yogurt that tastes exactly like the real thing) that is only 3 or 4g carbs per 6 oz. serving.
--I use Walker Diet Protein Shake mix that I can find only online at vitacost.com (I think they're the sole distributor) but it's delicious and has 24g protein and only ONE CARB per serving. I order several cans at a time to save on shipping charges.
--I missed my flavored Quaker oatmeal until I discovered I could make a yummy oatmeal-like treat with Walker Diet Protein Shake mix and ground flaxmeal. I use 47g shake mix, 4 tablespoons of flaxmeal and water and then microwave it until hot.
--textured vegetable protein (TVP) available in the baking aisle and/or health food section of the grocery store tastes like grape nuts cereal. I use it as cereal and as a rice substitute.
--mashed cauliflower makes a delicious substitute for mashed potatoes. Microwave 12 minutes or until very tender, mash it in a food processor with zero carb cheese, sour cream, chives, whatever you would normally add to mashed potatoes.
--flaxmeal and egg makes a great pancake. Top with yogurt or sugar free pancake syrup.

You know that low fat versions of foods are often higher in carbs because they take out the fat, which reduces flavor, so they replace flavor with some form of sugar.

There are several low carbers here. There may not be a low carb substitute for everything, but feel free to ask and one or more of us may have suggestions for you.

Best wishes and huge low carb cyberhugs to ya!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 AM
FitDay Member

Will be back later to catch up but for now:

I've been talking a lot about low carb lately, but our group respects everyone's way of eating as long as it's healthful and balanced.

Edinburghgirl, spectacular Thursday report! Way to go! Kudos on that 9 miles of walking. There are so many myths out there about low carb being unhealthy. I go to the doctor every 3 months for for a fasting blood test to monitor my blood sugar. She went over my food logs and gave me a lot of praise for eating balanced meals without giving up any food groups. I agree it's not that hard to order healthy. I've never gotten any funny looks when I order a sandwich with no bun or ask if there's something I can substitute for potatoes. I carry my own low carb salad dressing if I'm going from home directly to a restaurant. I've never gotten any funny looks when I tell the server I don't need salad dressing because I brought my own. Best wishes on your lowcarbing. If you haven't already, check out our recipes at http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...b-recipes.html We welcome any recipes you can post there.

Cassie, I did make myself exercise yesterday. I'm dreading exercise this week but I have a doctor appointment coming up on August 30 and I want to weigh in at less than I did three months ago. (Kinda juvenile for that to be my motivation, but I roll that way sometimes. LOL) Aw, thanks for your kind words. Compliments right back at ya for the support YOU lend here to all of us.

Mike, thanks for your input on the carbs counting. Glad to have the opinion of others lest I say something incorrect or leave something out.

Last edited by Mern; 08-10-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
OMG you're back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I sign you up for this...
Okay ladies, we've been talking about doing a "meet and greet"... well now's your chance!!

***March 24,2013*** This notice far enough so y'all can schedule your work schedule and lives around it! So what that means is if you don't show up, you suck!

Who's in for the meet and greet and maybe a little 1/2 marathon fun? Even if you don't run it I expect you to at the very least be waiting at the finish line cheering me on as I whip Tori!

Mike - in and doing the race
Tori - in and doing the race
mh - in and doing the race
OH YEAH, count me in (most likely)! It's on the calender and I'll keep an eye on the registration dates. Do you have a recommendation for a hotel that we all could stay at???
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM
FitDay Member

Ugh, I did my exercise--had to force myself again by now allowing myself back on FitDay until it was done--same as yesterday. I must exercise again tomorrow and then I get Sunday off! Hooray!

Tori, congrats on getting in three miles yesterday. It all adds up.

Cassie, seeing your report for Wednesday and Thursday reminded me I'm behind on water today. Got a huge tumbler of ice water right next to me now. Thanks. Congrats on all the blue in your report. The wee bit of red is still very respectable. So--JOB WELL DONE! I'll be a weekend warrior, too.

Hi to Pam, Hunny, and little Mikey.

Gotta go fire up the gas grill for chicken for dinner. Nice cool day--break from the heat wave! So I told DH I'll grill if he strings and cooks the young green pinto bean pods.

Y'all have a great evening and weekend!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, great connection re:yogurt. I was wondering just what the carbs were for the homemade stuff - not as painful as I had assumed. Also, thanks for the great post on low-carb choices. You are a treasure trove of info!

Hi Ann - Congrats on your new baby!

April - how's the ankle? It must be tough keeping off it when life keeps pushing! Hope the swelling goes down soon and you're back on your feet.

edinburghgirl - WOW! 9 miles on Thursday?!? Dang, you're good!

jj - that emotional eating thing is a tough nut to crack - after so many years using food as a pacifier/secrurity blanket, it is difficult for me to look at food in a healthy way. BUT - we can do it!

Tori - nudge over girl - there's enough space for both of us on that wagon !

Kayla - thanks for the kind words and understanding. And good job on the DQ control!

Cassie - thanks, too, for the reminder that, yes, it's all on me - and the pity party is over with! Seeing a LOT of blue in your week - atta girl!

Mike - I suck. There. It has been said. The trip to NOLA to run with the wind ( and all you ppls ) is not to be (a little bit far for a daytrip, yaknow). But, tell ya what - I will do my level best to join you in spirit here in CT, either on my 5K local or the (what did you call it?) Dreadmill on that day! Fair enough?

Will be posting my numbers and such later - just wanted to visit for a bit. Blessings to you all!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 AM
FitDay Member

Friday stats :
• Log my weight here daily 82.8kg-(182.54lb), 82.4kg-(181.66), 82kg (180.78lb), 81.5kg(179.68lb), 81.5kg(179.68lb).
• Start weekly body measurements: Did on Wednesday
• Calories under 1350 1774, 1424, 1106, I’m really not sure, maybe around 1500???,1563
• Carbs 33% or under-49% ,26%,33%,No idea, 34% close enough,
• At least 20 mins physical activity per day no ,no, Yes!! 1 hour boot camp, no, but I went to both my jobs with a sick child in tow then went home, cleaned the house and I have only just sat down now, so Im going with I moved a lot!, yes
On Friday I also finally had a play with those hand weights!
Will post again with more info when I have had my morning coffee, I havn’t had a chance to read through everyones yet.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 AM
FitDay Member

Judi, I'm glad you got some use out of the yogurt post. I've never had homemade. I've been lowcarbing since 2002, I think, and have done so many different structured programs. Now I do just general low carb food and it works fine for me. I, too, will be with the NOLA gang in spirit.

Nichaleh, congrats on your weight loss this week. You surely earned it! Your calories are still quite respectable even when in red. Really nice job on those carbs and exercise!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
OH YEAH, count me in (most likely)! It's on the calender and I'll keep an eye on the registration dates. Do you have a recommendation for a hotel that we all could stay at???
Just so you know, it's NOT in NOLA.

Originally Posted by Mern
Ugh, I did my exercise--had to force myself again by now allowing myself back on FitDay until it was done--same as yesterday. I must exercise again tomorrow and then I get Sunday off! Hooray!

Hi to Pam, Hunny, and little Mikey.

Gotta go fire up the gas grill for chicken for dinner. Nice cool day--break from the heat wave! So I told DH I'll grill if he strings and cooks the young green pinto bean pods.

Y'all have a great evening and weekend!
Congrats on the exercise. Enjoy the grilling.

Originally Posted by judipurple
Mike - I suck. There. It has been said. The trip to NOLA to run with the wind ( and all you ppls ) is not to be (a little bit far for a daytrip, yaknow). But, tell ya what - I will do my level best to join you in spirit here in CT, either on my 5K local or the (what did you call it?) Dreadmill on that day! Fair enough?
enjoy your run!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Okay ladies, we've been talking about doing a "meet and greet"... well now's your chance!!

***March 24,2013*** This notice far enough so y'all can schedule your work schedule and lives around it! So what that means is if you don't show up, you suck!

Who's in for the meet and greet and maybe a little 1/2 marathon fun? Even if you don't run it I expect you to at the very least be waiting at the finish line cheering me on as I whip Tori!

Mike - in and doing the race
Tori - in and doing the race
mh - in and doing the race

TORI vs. MIKE GOALS:

1-post starting weight and make log public (185.4) 01gt4.6 - free online diet and fitness journal
2-log everything Yes, Yes, No
3-most amount of water 135.2, 118.3, 118.3
4-most amount of fruits/veggies 5, 2, 2, 4
5-least amount of bread 0, 1, 2, 0
6-most miles walked 0, 0, 5.12, 0
7-lose 1.5% of starting weight (-2.8#)

Tori Specific:
1-do NOT slack on paperwork
2-get car taxes reduced for high mileage
3-plan ahead all meals

Mike Specific:
1-tile master bedroom this weekend
2-plan ahead all meals (starting Tuesday) yes, for the most part, Nope (I failed), sort of
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

Goals -
Stay at 1200 calories a day -
Monday No. Tuesday Yes. Wednesday Yes. Thursday Yes. Friday Yes.
walk one way or both ways to work or appointments each day -
Monday yes and did 4 miles in an hour. Tue in the house studying all day so no. Wednesday yes, had an incredible beach walk. Thursday yes, 9 miles today! Friday, yes.
follow the 80/20 rule-
Yes, and didn't get anything to eat at the cinema or steal friends popcorn! Haven't really needed the 20% so far. Took a friend to the best burger place in town and only had a side salad, the nice thing was it wasn't even that hard to order healthy. Friday used the 20% today when I had wine with lunch.
Clean eating-
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.Yes, but with wine.

non weight loss goals-
Exam Revision!
Yup, but not enough - is it ever enough?
Feel like I'm breaking the back of EU law and Jurisprudence is getting there.
No study today , will get up extra early on friday to make up for today.

Mern - I really liked all your low carb subs and idea's, it can be easy to get stuck in a rut with low carb. The atkins pasta is very edible but it is 16g of carbs a serving, the dreamfield one sounds good.

Cassie - Your so right!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.