Notices

Low Carb Recipes

Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

Default Crockpot Crumpled Foil "Rotisserie" Chicken

Crockpot Crumpled Foil "Rotisserie" Chicken

I used 4 1/2 lb. frying chicken seasoned with NoSalt inside and out. Rubbed skin with olive oil. Sprinkled liberally all over the skin Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper Seasoning. Cooked in crockpot on high for 5 hours.

1. place a rack or several balls of crumpled aluminum foil in the bottom of your crock pot.
2. season & salt & pepper the cavity of large chicken and stuff with celery (leaves and all) and an onion or two. Discard after cooking - the celery and onion are just for flavoring.
3. Spray with butter flavored PAM
4. place chicken, breast side up, on top of rack or foil.
5. season with your favorite spices. You may have to adjust the spices to taste after you try this. They seem to "wash off" in the cooking process, so don't skimp.
6. cover and cook on high 4-6 hours

The rack keeps the chicken from just stewing in it's own fat, and it tastes (really) like one of those rotisserie chickens you can buy at the store, but it is better for you because you control what goes on it. No sugars and carmel flavorings to make it look good. I discard the skin.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Default Low Carb Dry Onion Soup Mix

Low Carb Dry Onion Soup Mix

Makes 4 tablespoons or equivalent of one envelope dry onion soup mix

3 tablespoon minced onion dried onion
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
up to 1/2 tsp. salt substitute if using no or low sodium bouillon

Mix, store in tightly covered container or jar.

Without salt substitute:

Per Batch: 72 calories; .1g fat; 16.9g; 1310mg sodium; total carbs; 1.6g fiber; 15.3g net carbs; 1.7g protein

Per 1 tablespoon serving : 18 calories; 327.5mg sodium; trace fat; 4.23g total carbs; .4g fiber; 3.83g net carbs; .425g protein
Old 07-27-2012, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

Default Individual Peach Tarts

Individual Peach Tarts

Ingredients
no-stick cooking spray
2 soft, doughy low carb tortillas (like LaBanderita brand from Walmart)
3 to 4 medium peaches (when peeled total about 1 pound)
Heat stable artificial sweetener equivalent to 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar

Directions:

Tart Shells:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Spray six cupcake/muffin tin sections with no-stick cooking spray
3. With a round cutter or jar lid about 3 1/2 inches in diameter, cut each tortilla into three rounds. (*reserve scraps-see note)
4. Press each tortilla round into a cupcake/muffin tin section
5. Bake about 5 minutes until golden brown--watch carefully so they don't burn. Turn carefully out of tin and cool on a rack.

*Note: La Banderita brand low carb tortillas are very soft and the scraps can be pressed back together to make one a little larger than half a tortilla. I've successfully used the scraps this way to make more mini tart shells, so I'm sure it would work for this size shell as well. OR you can use it for your next sandwich wrap.

Filling: total baking time about 35 minutes
Turn oven up to 425 degrees
6. Wash and peel each peach. No need to remove pit unless desired. Slice each peach the thickness of from the outside of the peach to the seed.
7. Place the peaches in a 1 1/2 pint or 3 cup glass casserole dish
and added the sweetener. Mix well.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes, then stir and continue baking about another 15 minutes until softened and bubbly.
9. Divide the peach filling evenly among the six tart shells.
10. Best when served warm.

If desired can top with a small amount of no sugar added ice cream or sugar free whipped topping.

Nutrition counts per tart using pourable Splenda
Calories: 48
Total Fat .6g
Saturated Fat .2g
Polyunsaturated Fat .3g
Monounsaturated Fat .1g
Total Carbohydrate 10.1g
Dietary Fiber 2.3g
Net Carbohydrate 7.8g
Protein 1.7g

Last edited by Mern; 07-27-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Thanks for the ideas for low carb receipes

I have been logging Fitday for two weeks. Keeping the calories so far, however I am really wanting a low calorie dessert. Is there a site on this program that gives you recipes?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

BJD, as far as I know, we all just share recipes. Maybe you can start a thread asking for low cal desserts? Mern, any thoughts on this?

I have a dessert that is low carb, low fat, sugar free. Don't know if this helps but it is delicious.

Modified from The South Beach Diet:

1/2 c low fat ricotta (fat free is just dry ad nasty so if you use it, add water)
1/2 t unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 t vanilla extract
1 pack sugar substitute

I add some cofee extract sometimes to make it mocha. You can add different flavorings to the basic cheese, extract and sweetener. It works with just vanilla extract alone too.

Mix, enjoy.

Last edited by canary52; 07-28-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

Also modified South Beach:
Easy Steak

1 1/2 lbs steak
1/4 c catsup + 1/4 c water (or 1/2 c tomato juice)
1/4 c Worchestershire
1 small onion, chopped or 1/4 c chopped onion
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
salt and pepper to taste

Mix and pour over steak in non reactive bowl (ie not metal) broil or grill and enjoy.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Delish Fish

1 pound of seabass but you can use any firm white fish
1 minced scallion (green onion)
1T minced or crushed fresh ginger
2T low sodium soy
2t sesame oil

Make a packet with tin foil, put the fish in the center, cover with the sauce, make sure the packet is closed tight. Bake in 350 oven or grill roughly 10 minutes or until fish is done. Yum!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Shrimp Scampi

Place shrimp in a pyrex, melt 2T butter or use 1T butter, 1T olive oil. Press or dice 1-2 cloves of garlic, sprinkle parsley, paprika, oregano to taste. Squeeze 1/2 lemon (or less.) Pour over shrimp, sprinkle sugar free bread crumbs. Broil for 3-4 minutes until shrimp is cooked.

I'd say you can use for fish if you don't eat shrimp.

Last edited by canary52; 07-28-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Barbara Jean, this Food Talk forum IS the place for recipes.

I agree with canary52. since you didn't find what you need yet in the Food Talk Forum or in this low carb thread (low carb and low cal don't always go hand-in-hand) the best thing to do is to open a new thread asking for people to share low calorie dessert recipes. I'll bet a lot of members would apprciate having a special thread for that.

In case you're not familiar with opening a new thread:

Exit this Low Carb Recipe thread and go back to the Food Talk forum and click on the button NEW THREAD. Post one of your own ideas/recipes to start and I'll bet you'll have some replies with new recipes in no time.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

Basic Marsala Sauce for chicken or fish

1-2 T butter
1-2 T olive oil
1/4 c marsala wine
1/4 c chicken stock
1-2 cloves garlic
parsley, oregano, basil to taste
salt, pepper to taste
add fresh grated parmesan cheese to taste before serving
optional: saute mushrooms in butter and olive oil first, set aside, add to sauce before serivng and before cheese

These measurements are approximate; this is an eyeball, taste kind of recipe. If the wine tastes too strong, add stock or butter. Plus increase amounts to need.

You can cook cleaned unpeeled shrimp in this or pour over chicken. It's better over chicken with some kind of breading. For low carb use crushed up pork rinds or soy protein powder.

Last edited by canary52; 07-28-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.