Notices

Is this normal?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
FitDay Member

Default Is this normal?

I started out a 20-20W pants/skirts and XL shirts. I am now in size 18 pants and those are getting pretty loose and my shirts are getting pretty baggy so it is time to start getting rid of things that don't fit anymore. I bought several nice clothing items last fall (before I decided to lose weight) and I am having a hard time parting with some of the only nicer clothing that I have, even though they are too big now. Plus, I know I can buy more clothes, but I hate to spend the money on what I hope are only temporary clothes (since I plan to continue to lose weight). Is it normal to feel this way (not wanting to get rid of clothes or buy new clothes yet)?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

I'm having similar issues. It took a good long look in a full length mirror before I was convinced that I needed to go out and buy new, smaller jeans, and even now I don't want to throw out my old ones, even though they are now two sizes too large. For me at least, I think part of me is worried that I'll need them again when I suddenly wake up tomorrow (or next year) and I'm my old size again. It's like how can looking and feeling this great possibly last? Plus, those pants cost a lot of money, and the new ones I buy cost money too. AGH!!

BUT!! Fortunately I have a good friend who knows every consignment and thrift store in a hundred mile radius, and she took me to a couple of really nice places that specialize in nicer, more "modern" clothing (I'm sure you know how sketchy thrift store clothing can be) and for the first time in my life, I bought a pair of jeans that fit GREAT!! And for only about $11. So completely worth it!!

I'm still not willing to toss my old jeans, but I've managed to part with a lot of my larger shirts. But my advice is to at least go out and treat yourself to some things in your new, smaller size. Get them cheaper at consignment stores if you're like me and planning on going down another size. You can always donate them again later. It's amazing how incredibly smokin' hot you feel in smaller sized clothes that actually fit!! Great motivation to get down to the next size!!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 AM
FitDay Member

I don't want to advertise for a certain store but we have a few stores locally that specialize in name brand 'seconds'. I buy a lot of clothes there. I just check them over for zippers that don't work or stains. They are new clothes. I usually pay 7-10 for business casual pants and about 10 for jeans there.

It is hard to part with those bigger clothes. I did it about 3-4 months ago. I gave away 2 33gallon trash bags. The sad thing is that since then I have pants in size 24 and am now wearing a 20. So in a month or so I won't even be able to wear those 24's as sloppy pants anymore. There is always that fear in the back of your mind that one day after a binge you are going to wake up and not fit your newer clothes anymore.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to third the suggestion for thrift stores - if you have reputable ones (or even a good Goodwill) then that's often the way to go for "in-the-middle-of-losing" clothes. I will say that buying new clothes always feels great and can be a great motivational booster. You don't need to buy a whole new wardrobe, but new jeans and staples are, I think, important, especially for on-the-job if you don't want to look sloppy. I will say that I've purchased some nicer, more expensive clothes in the size I am now with the intention of taking them in/altering them when I reach goal weight, because some pieces simply look awesome and it'll be worth it to keep them around, even when I'm smaller. There are a lot of options, but I totally understand the fear of suddenly waking up to see the "old you" in a few months or years from now!!! Happens to me at least once a week, or even if I eat a cookie or something, lol.

On the flip side...I've kept a pair of my old size 20s for comparison purposes when I get to my goal weight, just to see the difference. That's motivational too - sometimes I put them on just for fun to see the change!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 AM
FitDay Member

It is totally normal. I've decided not to buy new clothes until absolutely necessary or until I get really close to my goal because I'm worried I'll grow out of them. Right now I'm surviving on belts. Unfortunately, I've grown out of some of those!

There's a vintage skirt that I LOVE but It's way too big now. I love it so much I might actually pay to have it altered. I also have a pair of jeans that are my absolute favorite I've ever worn but they don't fit me as they should anymore. I'm sad about it but I'm still belting them and pretending it's the same.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 AM
FitDay Member

Yup, I was sad that my "va-va-va- voom" dress no longer had any voom left in it after I lost about 20 pounds... I was sad that I no longer had a va-va-va-voom dress in my wardrobe, but once those "nice" clothes or the newer clothes or the clothes that made you feel "good in them" before are just downright baggy, you will not feel any sadness... I guarantee. I had a few dresses waiting for "when I lose 5 more pounds this will fit" with tags on them! Gone... I was happy to part with them.

I buy everything on clearance... so those racks, and thrift stores will be good friends for a while until you reach your goal. And yes, not wanting to buy new clothes is normal. Especially if you see buying clothes as a reward, just about every 15 pounds or so is a size... I'm limiting myself to 2 church dresses, 2 pr of pants and 1 new tee shirt until I get to my goal. Most of my clothes are way too big right now.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM
FitDay Member

I am having huge problems with clothes that no longer fit but are much too nice to just get rid off. I used to attend quite a few formal dinners and all those wonderful gowns are now way too big. I havent been to anything recently but im thinking of getting the nicest ones altered once i hit my goal weight, they were just too blasted expensive and so seldom worn to give away. However I am slowly giving other clothes to charity, if i put them on and think that they really don't fit me and that they make me look bigger or saggier then they are going. One step at a time I think. It's scary in a way but exciting too