Community
Notices

Why don't people like this answer?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Sorry about hijacking the thread, Rubystars, but this was extremely important information.
I'm glad you did. I didn't know how important Magnesium was. I assumed I was getting enough of different nutrients just by eating a varied diet, but checking my fitday reports I'm getting less than half of the RDA.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

You mentioned potassium. I was surprised to discover that my coffee habit is giving me some potassium - who knew? (Fitday knew, obviously!)
Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

When I first started losing weight with fitday people and would ask me "What are you doing?", I found the situation difficult too, because quite frankly I did want to talk about it, and invariably "I'm counting calories in and calories out" is a very unsatisfying answer for most people. But over and over again about 3 sentences into the conversation most people would get that "glazed over" look in their eye and cut me off at the first opportunity and change the subject or they would go in to, "oh that's not for me" excuse mode. I could never figure out if the problem was them living in a land of denial or my own dull inanity, probably a combination. So now I just say "the hard way, with good old diet and exercise". That very quickly cuts the conversation down to it's bare bones and we can move on to the next topic. And if they want to discuss it more in depth, I ask if they want the long or short version. It's very rare that I have a long conversation about diet & exercise with anyone, but it does happen every once in a blue moon. And it's not the crowd I would have guessed. Usually the ones that can and want to discuss it in-depth are the ones already living it, not the ones that need to.

Here are a pile of dumb things people have said to me:

Woman: Oh I don't have time to work out like you do, I have to go to work.
ME: Really? What are you doing at 5:00am?
Woman: Sleeping.
ME: Well that's when I work out, so actually you do have time, you just choose to sleep through it. Right?

Woman: I'm going to get that bariatric surgery.
ME: You know you might want to try the post surgery diet for a year before you make that decision and see if it's something you can stick to for the rest of your life.
Woman: OMG!!! No! Have you seen that diet? It's awful.
ME: Really? Well good luck with that.

Bank Lady: I went to that website you told me about and I don't see the diet.
ME: Um, fitday isn't a diet it's just a tool to track your calories.
Bank Lady: Well what am I supposed to eat?
ME: Whatever you want or need to make your nutritional goals, just start tracking and you'll get it figured out.
Bank Lady: I don't have time for that, I really just need a menu that I can follow.
ME: Well okay, good luck with that.

Friend: What's that website you use?
ME: fitday.com
Friend: How do you spell that?
ME: Just like it sounds f-i-t-d-a-y.com
Friend: (Not writing it down just looking blankly at me) Well I don't know if I can do that one, so-and-so said such-&-such was better.
ME: There are a bunch of calorie counting programs out there, the important thing is to find one that works for you and to use it.
Friend: I don't know if I can do that calorie counting business, I don't have time for it or working out either.
ME: Well it does take time, especially at first, but once you get the hang of logging it gets easier. Just take it in baby steps.
Friend: I don't have time for baby steps, I need to lose at least 40lbs by the wedding.
ME: Well okay then, good luck with that.

Woman: I can't eat right because_____, I can't exercise because______, I can't track my calories because______. Repeat, repeat, repeat...
ME: Have you ever stopped to listen to yourself? You're one long list of excuses, and every last one of them is hurting you.
Woman: She then gave me a blank startled look like I had slapped her and stomped off and won't talk to me anymore.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Here are a pile of dumb things people have said to me:

Woman: Oh I don't have time to work out like you do, I have to go to work.
ME: Really? What are you doing at 5:00am?
Woman: Sleeping.
ME: Well that's when I work out, so actually you do have time, you just choose to sleep through it. Right?

Woman: I'm going to get that bariatric surgery.
ME: You know you might want to try the post surgery diet for a year before you make that decision and see if it's something you can stick to for the rest of your life.
Woman: OMG!!! No! Have you seen that diet? It's awful.
ME: Really? Well good luck with that.

Bank Lady: I went to that website you told me about and I don't see the diet.
ME: Um, fitday isn't a diet it's just a tool to track your calories.
Bank Lady: Well what am I supposed to eat?
ME: Whatever you want or need to make your nutritional goals, just start tracking and you'll get it figured out.
Bank Lady: I don't have time for that, I really just need a menu that I can follow.
ME: Well okay, good luck with that.

Friend: What's that website you use?
ME: fitday.com
Friend: How do you spell that?
ME: Just like it sounds f-i-t-d-a-y.com
Friend: (Not writing it down just looking blankly at me) Well I don't know if I can do that one, so-and-so said such-&-such was better.
ME: There are a bunch of calorie counting programs out there, the important thing is to find one that works for you and to use it.
Friend: I don't know if I can do that calorie counting business, I don't have time for it or working out either.
ME: Well it does take time, especially at first, but once you get the hang of logging it gets easier. Just take it in baby steps.
Friend: I don't have time for baby steps, I need to lose at least 40lbs by the wedding.

Woman: I can't eat right because_____, I can't exercise because______, I can't track my calories because______. Repeat, repeat, repeat...
ME: Have you ever stopped to listen to yourself? You're one long list of excuses, and every last one of them is hurting you.
Woman: She then gave me a blank startled look like I had slapped her and stomped off and won't talk to me anymore.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Banned

They know what the truth is.....they just wanna ignore the TRUTH and make excuses...but...I'm sure we were all that way once before.... before WE stood in our TRUTHs.... You have to stand in your TRUTH...and when YOU"RE ready you'll be more open to the options out there! and you'll do what's best for YOU
Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
FitDay Member

I'm glad you got a good laugh, the sad part is that I didn't make up or embellish any of it, those are actual conversations I've had with people.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Yes I did. And the accounts are sad but funny in a way as well.

The good thing is, you can see the BS for what it is, you think for yourself, and you're a strong enough person to make positive changes. The mindless sheeple will never change, unfortunately.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Yes I did. And the accounts are sad but funny in a way as well.

The good thing is, you can see the BS for what it is, you think for yourself, and you're a strong enough person to make positive changes. The mindless sheeple will never change, unfortunately.
Two of those conversations were with the same person. I had another with her that went like this:

Woman: I really want to lose weight.
Me: I don't believe you for a second.
Woman: (Mouth hanging open like I had slapped her) HOW CAN YOU SAY, "YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME"?
Me: Because you're seriously one of the most stubborn women I've ever known, and that's saying something given my own family. If you wanted to lose the weight you just would, because when you decide to play the stubborn card, there's nobody getting in your way. Truthfully, I think you actually enjoy the roll of "fat chick". It's a big part of your identity. Plus you love to complain, and being obese gives you a ton of material, at the very least you're extremely comfortable in the roll of "fat chick". And if I've offended you, then fine, go ahead and prove me wrong.

That conversation was maybe 2 years ago? She's supposedly been dieting on and off since, but I would guess she's heavier now then she was that day. Hopefully one of these days she'll take my comments to heart. I worry about her a lot. For the record she's not so much a "sheeple", as she is the squeaky wheel...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

almeeker, did you have a lot of brothers when you were growing up? You remind me of one of my best friends who was brought up with 3 brothers. She told me the reason why we get along so well is because she was raised with 3 brothers and that's why she communicates and thinks more like a guy.

Your candidness with this lady sounds legendary. I'm loving it.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Totally agree it's about calories in, calories out. and just sticking to it. I can't always lose a pound a week like I did at the beginning, but if I don't start gaining, and I keep chipping away at a quarter pound a time, I'm ok with how slow it's going. No one seems to notice or talk to me about my weight; I think they don't want to talk about it. I have generated a few conversations "out of my earshot" about how beautiful heavier women are, and how thin women are just dupes of media hype. I think weight is extremely personal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.