Notices

Checking in!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Checking in!

I'm a 19-year-old guy living in BC, Canada. I have struggled with my weight since I was 13, and I've just been ballooning ever since. I'm now 6"2 and weigh 330 pounds, buy my clothes either online or on that dreaded "plus-size wall" at Wal-Mart, and I've had enough! I was told by a friend about FitDay -- not only am I new to this site (joined in November but my diet has only been in swing for a few days) I am also new to the world of limiting myself, dieting. No more ordering pizza after work, no more five cans of Coke a day, no more TV dinners at 2 AM.. it's time to take care of myself!

I'm an assistant manager at a fast food restaurant, so that's already a huge obstacle for me. So far I've done well with eating tomato sandwiches on brown for my nightly meal rather than a burger and fries, and I think I can keep it up. I have great support from my family and I walk to work each day (30 mins) on top of being on my feet for the majority of my shifts. I am fully committed to the cause right now and I really hope that I become a success story. Look forward to chatting with everyone

ViewRoyale
(PS -- anyone have any tips on good healthy snacks? I'll probably jump off a bridge within a few weeks if I stick solely with apples and yogurt!)
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to FitDay,ViewRoyale.

You'll find all the tools, resources, and support you'll need today, and every day to meet your weight loss/fitness goals. Thank you for choosing FitDay to help with your transition into a healthier lifestyle.

A good way to get situated with both the Discussion Board and FitDay program is to visit this link:

FAQ's/Newbie Q & A, How To's, Supporting Links & Tips

And, we have a really nice list of resource threads here, called the FitDay Best of Series

This includes a link to your requested "healthy snack tips".

If you have any additional questions we are always here to assist.

Finally, we hope that you decide to "stick around" the Forums. We have a terrific community that is very warm and inviting.

Best wishes!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default ViewRoyale ~

You've made a wonderful choice to join FitDay. This site is a great support for me, especially as I interact on both my good & bad days. People have been more than understanding around here.

Sounds like you're making a lot of healthy changes in your life -- Big kuddos to you! What helps me to get through rough spots is to think what MORE I can have/do, and thus it replaces LESS of what is not good. For instance, with food I focus on fiber (fruits/vegetables). The more fiber I eat, the less unhealthy fats/sugars I consume.

As far as snacks go, I focus on what I do like & work on making it healthier from there. I usually eat fruits for snack and am enjoying the sweetness of fresh fruits - blackberries, strawberries and so on. Sometimes I enjoy 1 handful of nuts -- and limit it to that. I don't know what plan you have in mind and what your health needs are, but as you put a plan into place it becomes more clear to you what combination of snacks work best for you. I know that too was a big question for me as well.

You may want to visit the food forum for more ideas. This is a great time to venture with food choices - you may surpise yourself. I just surprised myself in liking cooked cabbage, of all things.

Please feel free to pop around on the forums. I hope something said here gives you hope. So glad you have a great, supportive family! Here's hoping that you will stay around these parts.

Last edited by fit4luv; 02-15-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Some of my new favorite snacks are baby carrots and dip (I spoon out precisely one serving of dip and stick to that), apple slices and peanut butter (again with the measuring the serving), Greek yogurt since it's way more creamy than regular yogurt and has tons of protein, craisins, a serving of lightly salted nuts, and veggie chips. The veggie chips can be a pain, though, since they're just as delicious as regular potato chips and it therefore takes just as much willpower to put them down and walk away when it's time.

I hope this helps even a little bit! I've been on fitday for only six or so weeks and it's already helped me achieve wonders. Everyone in the forums is an inspiration! Wishing you all the best! :-)