Atkins_Induction Looking for some support

Community
Notices

Atkins_Induction Looking for some support

Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default Atkins_Induction Looking for some support

Hello All

My Name is Nahid and I am turning 30 nxt month. All my life I have suffered being overweight and before I knew it my BMI hit obesity. After having a missed miscarriage followed by ectopic pregnancy I started piling up due to depression eating. I have to admit that I have very low determination power.

Finally, I have started the atkins Induction yesterday. I was thinking if there is anyone who is on Atkins Induction or previously done it successfully. A support group would definitely help to pick some tips and encouragement that will help to get going. As of yet I have no children and I feel that losing the weight may actually help me with a better chance next time. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Nahid ~
You have a powerful motivator for becoming more fit.

I can relate with you on low reserves on "determination power". I have not gone through what you've gone through and yet, I do deal with depression.

May I give input taken from what is working for me? Please know that I write this with the best intentions & am very sorry for your loss

Focus: I highly recommend to start with 1 healthy focus today -- then each day this week. In other words, 1 change can make a huge difference. You can start a new beginning today.

Connection: I am intentional about connecting with other people who understand where I'm coming from. For instance, these forums are great - you've taken a great step foward by posting here! Please jump in on other threads! I'm also connecting with a support health group "in real life" that shares my faith.

I look forward to more input from you.

Last edited by fit4luv; 01-10-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Dear Fit4luv,

This is my first time ever on a health forum. I cannot thank you enough for your effort to respond to my thread. Your stats state that you have come a long way in the battle to combat weight issues yourself. Congratulations!!! It is indeed an inspiration to see such amazing success.

You are very right when you said that focusing on one issue at a time can make a big difference at the end of the day. However, my life long issues have been emotional binging and believe you me I am right now really trying to take care of that.

It would be great if you could give me some tips as to how you have successfully managed to lose such significant amount of weight. Real life stories are so much more reliable than plain simple info on website.

Thanking you once again..Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Nahid
Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 AM
FitDay Member

Bless you Nahid

I can see how my "Prize" can be confusing. The Prize is what I have my eye on. I see it as results of living in a healthy manner. So losing -90 lb is one of my prizes - what most people list as their goal.

I've lost 4 lb since my start date. I've gained more energy & more hope.

I'm working on changing my approach to weight-loss and it all starts with my thinking process. What MORE can I do for myself? As I do MORE healthy habits than I will do LESS of un-healthy habits. It's like flipping the coin -- As I eat more fiber, I'll fill up and eat less of sweets.

Hope you can stick around here. I'm finding the 7-day motivational thread under Women's Support forum helpful. Even to just posting goals helps.

Just wanted to add: I understand that each person finds what works best for them. You know where you are in life much better than I. So please just throw out whatever I said that doesn't help you. I hope you can find an Atkins buddy!

Last edited by fit4luv; 01-10-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Delete & to re-phrase
Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

I was like you... And NOTHING worked to stop the slow creep of weight. Not reducing calories, not exercise.

Then I started Atkins for health-reasons (I was having blood sugar issues), and lost 40 lbs in around 6 months. The weight just fell off.

Then I got pregnant, and it was all downhill for 8 years, till now I'm the fattest I've ever been.

A few days back, I started Atkins again. (7, to be precise.) This morning, I weighed myself and it said I've lost 6 lbs since then. And my tape measure confirms it: noticable shrinkage of all my fattest places.

One key with Atkins is to slightly increase your daily movement. I bought one of those little "pedaler" things that sits in front of your couch (It's not a big piece of equipment -- it's JUST the foot-part) and will sit and use that while watching TV. Not to the point of sweating, being out of breath, or feeling exertion. (When I hit THAT point, I usually stop.) Just enough to keep my feet moving, with the resistance way down.

There are different versions of Atkins. I was first introduced to the 1972 version, which allowed nuts (especially Macadamias!) on induction. I find that highly useful, as a desire for carbs can usually be satisfied by eating a handful of nuts.

Also, Trader Joe's sells an almond-meal (like corn meal, only ground almonds) that we will use in place of flour in many things. (Great for pancakes & butter, for example! The pancakes come out thinner than normal, but taste great & are satisfying)

You can do this. =D It is going to work this time.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nahid14
Hello All

My Name is Nahid and I am turning 30 nxt month. All my life I have suffered being overweight and before I knew it my BMI hit obesity. After having a missed miscarriage followed by ectopic pregnancy I started piling up due to depression eating. I have to admit that I have very low determination power.

Finally, I have started the atkins Induction yesterday. I was thinking if there is anyone who is on Atkins Induction or previously done it successfully. A support group would definitely help to pick some tips and encouragement that will help to get going. As of yet I have no children and I feel that losing the weight may actually help me with a better chance next time. Thanks.
Hi, Nahid! In addition to the fitday page on facebook, there are other group pages specifically for Atkins. Search for "lo-carb" or "fat camp" and you will find us.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Just started Atkins on 1-8-12

Glad to see someone else here just started Atkins too. I just started on the 8th of this month. I had to do something my cholesterol is through the roof and I have a back injury from a car accident and since I have put on weight, my back hurts constantly. I have noticed when I lose just a few pounds that I feel so much better.

Good luck! Hope Atkins works well for you (and me).