Notices

kettlebells

Old 12-30-2011, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default kettlebells

one of my favorite exercises is using kettlebells. I follow instructions on dvds - I have the Iron Core kettlebell 4-dvd set, and Jillian Michael's.

Does anyone have any other kettlebell dvd suggestions?

And, does anyone have recommendations for how to record kettlebell workouts in the activity options?

thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kal223
one of my favorite exercises is using kettlebells. I follow instructions on dvds - I have the Iron Core kettlebell 4-dvd set, and Jillian Michael's.

And, does anyone have recommendations for how to record kettlebell workouts in the activity options?

thanks!
You'll have the ability to add a Custom Activity in the new FitDay. For now you could to do something similar which is suggested here http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post41041
Old 12-31-2011, 05:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

thanks!
Kettlebells are great! But make sure you are doing them correctly. Abs tight, use your leg and butt muscles to get the swing going and keep your chest up, back straight. It is temped to use your back muscles - especially when you get tired - don't, you can hurt yourself pretty badly.

As far as recording workouts, you can do it 2 ways: Pick a time limit, say 5 or 10 minutes at first and go for as many reps as possible within that time limit. The alternative is to choose a set number of reps and record the time it takes to complete the reps. You should see the number of reps improving and the time to "exhausion" increase over time. You can use the weightlifting option in the activities section to record the time.

I don't know what your current fitness level is, but try to go as heavy as you can. If you can do 12 or 15 reps without feeling it, you are probably using too little weight.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
FitDay Member

thanks! I've been using kbs for a year or more - I'm just a little bored with the routines I use.

For now, I've been recording it as weight lifting, but that seems to miss some of the cardio involved.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Well, weightlifting, vigorous is pretty cardio intensive. But all of the activies are a little hard to pin down when it comes to individual effort.

I can see why a year of kettlebells would get a little tedious - have you tried bar bells?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

I have some hand weights - I think the problem is that I get bored easily! I prefer to be outside, but can't handle more than a 5 mile hike most days, time or temp wise, so I supplement with fitness dvds and an elliptical. I just got a dual handled rower, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good that is for triceps/lats - no winter kayak muscle entropy this year!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I have some hand weights - I think the problem is that I get bored easily! I prefer to be outside, but can't handle more than a 5 mile hike most days, time or temp wise, so I supplement with fitness dvds and an elliptical. I just got a dual handled rower, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good that is for triceps/lats - no winter kayak muscle entropy this year!

I had never been on a rower until last year. WOW I love it! Great all body workout and there is something kind of soothing about the motion, even when I am panting for breath
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

You should check out Lauren Brooks. She is a kettlebell instructor and has several videos and a blog where she periodically posts a new workout challenge. Look for her as kbellqueen at blogspot. Also check out Dragondoor.com for articles and videos about kettlebells. Honestly, I don't trust Jillian Michaels form at all.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

thanks! I will look for her.

I learned form before picking up the JM's dvd - agreed, that her form isn't great.