Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Dec. 19-25

Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
To me that's saying... bring it back, unless you're willing to tie the knot?

That's my advice. And I am not just teasing, dude. It looks just like an engagment ring to me (a lovely ring, indeed, but still an engagement ring). My nail technician has a lovely vintage engagement ring that looks a lot like that. She explained that in the 1940s, when no one had money, they created these lovely rings with diamond chips and very small cut diamonds that were affordable for young couples just starting out.

I highly recommend trading it back for the earings, unless you want to be met with a confused expression and then perhaps a disappointed GF.

Even though she may be well aware of your feelings, and may infact feel the same way, all of our little hearts skip a beat when we see a diamond ring.

Thanks Quinn for speaking up. I was about to get back to this issue but didn't want to be the only one raining on Mike's parade. Any other ladies want to weigh in (one way or the other)?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, that's awesome Quinn. I guess you read my post before I deleted it, about my opinion on marriage. To me, your marriage sounds like what it's "supposed" to be. Unfortunately more often than no. I don't think that's the case. Congrats to both of you for 20 years of successful marriage.

Just as my brother has jokes, I have my own. When people tell/ask me "You've been married and divorced twice?!?!?!" I usually reply "Yeah, it's shocking that there's two women that would actually let me go."
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Pam, I may just do that. I don't know. One reason why I think she wouldn't mind is b/c she found a ring at work a long time ago. Fake as hell costume jewelry, but she's been wearing it. I told her one day that should should take it off and she commented that she didn't have any rings, if I got her one she'd wear it instead. Who knows what she meant, but I hope if I do give this to get she's not let down. Maybe I can tell here it's cz and not diamonds, since diamonds mean it's an engagement ring.

On a side note, I took a picture of it and showed the girls. They all think she'll like it... none of them said "Are y'all getting married?" I really trust her oldest daughter's opinion, she's 20 and knows her mom quite well. I may ask her when I see her if she thinks she'll be let down. If so, earrings it is. If she says no, but it turns out she is let down... I can always blame the kids.

I put the pic back up on page 8, for more opinions. Damn y'all have me worried now.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 12-20-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Just one more thought then I'll leave it alone. Engagement rings come in all flavors, not necessarily diamond solitares. I'm thinking of Kate Middleton's emerald. Giving a ring can be a very tricky business for you guys.

If you would like to replace that costume piece (a very nice gesture, btw) you might think of a more crafted type ring, something with more metal work and less stones - jsut a thought.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

You're going to have me go back and get her a "mother's ring". Haha
Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Wow, that's awesome Quinn. I guess you read my post before I deleted it, about my opinion on marriage. To me, your marriage sounds like what it's "supposed" to be. Unfortunately more often than no. I don't think that's the case. Congrats to both of you for 20 years of successful marriage.

Just as my brother has jokes, I have my own. When people tell/ask me "You've been married and divorced twice?!?!?!" I usually reply "Yeah, it's shocking that there's two women that would actually let me go."
Oh... you deleted it?? Now people are going to wonder what the heck I'm talking about!!! lol I better delete it, too.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

No, you have an awesome story. I just know that sometimes I give my opinion on a topic even when it's not asked for. That's why I deleted it. At least you know where I'm coming from, the rest can just wonder. It'll be our little secret.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Mike - on the ring: my partner and I have been engaged for 9 years. Last year for Christmas, after all the presents were unwrapped, he took a tiny box from on top of the pantry and yes, my heart did a little bumpity-bump. I never got a ring with the proposal. In the box was a twisted white gold diamond ring, just with little chips (not as sparkly as yours, but I'm a simple gal). He merely said, 'Merry Christmas'. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't the engagement ring, which is silly because a) it has never bothered me before that I didn't have the ring, and b) it would have sufficed quite nicely for that purpose. It is a different situation, in that we're already engaged, but seeing that little box, then the diamond ring inside . . .

Anyways, given that your ring is coupled with a necklace, I personally would see it more as just 'jewellery'. You don't usually get matching jewellery with an engagement ring (unlkess it's the wedding ring . . . ). In other words, give it to her! It's purty.

Sorry, my brain hasn't fully woken up today, so I hope that made sense and wasn't just a dribbling ramble.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Bindi, thanks. That put it into perspective. They were going to put the ring in a ring box, instead I had them put it in a box that's probably 6"x8" and maybe 1/2" deep. The necklace is draped and pinned in it and the ring is laying flat, above it, pinned down. Being a set was exactly why I bought the necklace as well.

One question though, if y'all are already engaged, why wasn't that the engagement ring? Maybe he's waiting until the 10 year mark? Either way I hope you get a simple, yet elegant ring that you can call your engagement ring.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 12-20-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

I love the vintage ring idea... I think that would be so cool.

Let us know when you're ready to take the plunge... we'll pick out your tux!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.