Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/17/11 >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/17/11

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/17/11

Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Oh, my Lord, I really got the giggles over the Brazilian. I knew and was trying to think of how to phrase it delicately when Rose called it "down there."

Amy, it's not armpits. LOL

Mike, bite your tongue. LOL

Tonja, congrats on a job well done! Way to go! And great job on nipping the brownie temptation in the bud! I love what you said about just trying to be an all around better person physically. That's what my ultimate goal is--not to be a certain weight, but to just have a lifestyle of eating and living more healthfully. My son, who lives with me in Ohio, has been in love with Texas since forever. He has driven there three times that I know of--just to visit the state because it's so beautiful there, not to go anywhere special there. Thanks for telling us about yourself. I'm short, too, but weigh much more than you do. I can understand that being seated so much in your professional duties attributes a lot to your weight, but you are doing a fantastic job and you will succeed at getting down to a weight at which you will be more healthy and feel better about how you look.

Mike, as muscular as you are, even 181.x is a really decent weight, isn't it? I think you do a fantastic job and set a great example for the rest of us.

Quinn, congrats on still getting into the skinny jeans!

Joanna! Great job!

Cassie, I have those annoying sleep problems, too. I think mine is just the way my brain is programmed. When I'm awake, I'm thinking--not worrying about anything--just hard to turn off my brain unless I'm dog-tired. So when I wake up a couple times per night for a potty break due to having a small bladder, I have a devil of a time falling back to sleep. And then no matter how tired I am, unless I'm sick with a fever, my brain tells me 5 hours of broken sleep is more than enough. Oh, wow--your hike sounds really wonderful. You are doing a super job this week. I hope your tummy is recovered from your food bender.

mhibdon, you are doing a great job this week! LOL on the doggie breath while exercising. That is one great looking dog!

Darlene, great start this week!

Rose, that's great that you will be relieved of some of the high stress and intensity of your documentary. Will it be televised, and if so, can you let us know when and where it will air in the US? Part of my grandkid care is due to the perk of living only four miles away from them and being blessed with being able to help rear them. The other reason I'm so involved is out of necessity because my daughter is a single parent of four with an absentee ex and gets no child support. My daughter has a rough life, but if anyone can rear four kids so well under such difficult circumstances, it's she. I am so proud of her. We have seven grandkids altogether. From DH's two sons from his first marriage we have three adult grandkids--two boys ages 25 and 24, and a girl 21. Our daughter has 3 girls ages 17, 16, and 10, and a 7 year old son.

Last edited by Mern; 10-18-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Health/Fitness Goals...
1. 80oz water daily not just during the week M: Yes,
2. Walk on lunch M: Yes,
3. Exercise Weds-Sun (allow one day off)
4. No stuffing junk in my mouth mindlessly M: No,
5. No added salt on my plate M: Yes,
6. Limit one diet soda daily M: Yes,

Life Goals...
1. Fill out new patient forms for dentist for boys M: Done!
2. Mail ^ dentist forms T: Done!
3. Fill out insurance forms for boys M: Done!
4. Mail ^ insurance forms T: Done!
5. Fold laundry M: 4 loads,
6. Lotion on feet M: Yes,

Weekend Goals...
1. Clear closet of clothes I no longer wear
2. Plant flower bulbs in bed
3. Move hostas
4. Scoop leaves from pond
5. Regular housework for hubby's work weekend

Yesterday overall was good but last night I could not stop picking. Every time I walked in the kitchen it seemed I was stuffing something in my mouth. I started to have a blow out with my youngest son then decided it wasn't worth ruining the evening of the rest of the people in my house over him being childish. That may have set it off. But it may have also been a TOTM thing. No excuses though. I could have stopped any time I was thinking "Why am I looking in the fridge?" but I chose not to. Ugh!

Mike ... Waxing doesn't hurt all that much. Actually when I was a young teen a friend of mine and I thought that it would be a great idea to shave our arms along with our legs. So I did that for a while. Big Mistake! Now I have nice dark hairs on my arms. I wax them. .... I do self exams often. I can't do them too much though or I obsess. I have nodular breast tissue. That means that I naturally have small lumps and bumps in the tissue so it makes it hard to not feel something. TMI maybe? LOL ... Big Congrats on making it to $1000!!!

Mern ... Don't dry up hun! We don't want you to blow away! and how on earth did you eat a 1/2 a chocolate? If I eat 1/2 it's going to all be gone unless I have someone to hand the other 1/2 to. Sounds like your grandkids are very lucky to have you! Wish mine had a grandma like you!

Amy ... Congrats on your A day!

Tonja ... Nice to hear more about you! We are a talkative bunch.

Quinn ... Yay! Skinny jeans! Nice to hear they still fit. That is a testament to your maintenance.

Cassie ... Your hike sounds so wonderful. One day I hope to be able to hike like that. Right now I know I would never make the whole trip. But one day I will.

mhibdon ... Your puppy is adorable. Mine are always trying to distract me from exercise. If I sit and stretch they curl up in a ball between my legs. I do crunches and one will be standing on my hair. LOL ... wouldn't give them up for the world though. BTW love his name. I was wondering in your goals what a stegosaurus walk was!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4_boys_mom
Thank you, Mike. Historically, for me, it's the third day of trying to watch what I eat, and just be a general all around better person physically, that it gets really difficult. The men in my house tell me that I just get plain mean.

By the way, I'm southern too. From Texas - the state everyone loves to hate.
Good luck on day 3!

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Checking in:

8. Call and schedule annual (Mike, they give me my mammo referral there). No

I had a wonderful hike today. We have a trail that goes up a mountain (Georgia mountain, not Rockies!), then down, then over another, smaller (though steeper) mountain. The trail then loops around flat back to the beginning. I suppose in order to stem the damage from the weekend, I decided to go back over the mountains rather than take the flat trail back. So technically I went uphill both ways (, of course, it was downhill both ways, too, at times). It took about 2 hours and 20 minutes, was about 5.5. miles, and I wore my HRM and burned 770 calories. For me, that is HUGE! Our leaves are just starting to turn here and it was gorgeous today. Lots of squirrels, birds, and a couple deer were out. I wish I had time to do that every day. I think so clearly out there; wish it translated to work!
Get that referral. Uphill both ways? I can here my dad with his yankee voice "Yous kids got it so easy, back when I was a kid I had to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, in the snow." blah blah blah Give me a break dad, 'yous guys' use to fly to school on the back of a pterodactyl.

Originally Posted by mhibdon
Mike: Thanks!!! I LOVE that pair of socks! That is the “After” picture that we took after going to DayGlow! My shirt was white going into it! Sadly, sodium is sneaky like that :/ OH OH OH!!! Reason for you to wax your legs: Improve your triathlon time! Booyah!!!

OMG GUYS GUESS WHAT! I totally beasted my goals today!

Daily Goals for 10/17-10/24
1. Drink 3L: Yes
2. Walk Stegosaurus 3 miles: Yes
3: 200 Situps: Yes
4: Take Vitamin: Yes
5: Stretch TWICE: Yes

This is my 1 year, 6 month old, 85lb, half Bernard, half Chowchow puppy Stegosaurus!
no triathlons for me! Cute puppy but my Mytsie would so beat up your beast. Oh pick up that extention cord.

Originally Posted by dar n
Goals
Do not talk diet with family: M=Y
Exercise daily: M=Y
Squats daily: M=Y
Ab work daily:M=Y
Calories less than 1400: M= 1372
Calorie deficit of 5000 for week: M=-854
Clean something (not daily chores) everyday: M=Y
lookin' good Darlene, maybe the slckers here can learn a thing or two from you.

Originally Posted by bojibridge
Quick check-in:

1.) Stay under 1400 calories/day:1225
2.) Keep track of water intake: 64 oz.
3.) Keep protein above 25%: 25%
4.) Exercise 3 times
5.) Study for Astro 501 exam!: Ugh, not motivated...

I'm off to bed, but everyone seems to be on the right track, so good for you!
1,2,3 check. You have plenty of time for #4, get busy on #5

Originally Posted by 4_boys_mom
Good Morning All,

I'm back for another day, and I really look forward to coming here to read your posts! You are all so motivating and encouraging.

Here is a little about me what told me that I HAD to do something NOW! I've known for months that I needed to start getting control of my weight, but this past Saturday, I walked in the Race for the Cure. I walked the 5K - and was in bed the rest of the day. Now I know that's not what put me in bed, I had another 'bug' of some kind, but I think it contributed. So, that evening I got on the scales. 180. I'm a short, small-framed person. 180 doesn't look good on me. Plus, I've been pregnant four times and never hit 180 with any of them.

I started gaining the weight two years ago when I went from a fairly active job as a librarian to a full-time English professor teaching about seven composition courses a semester. That made for a lot of 'butt in chair' time because there is so much grading. On top of that, last year I started the Ph.D. work, so now I read and write...and that's my life.

All but one of my boys are grown. Their ages are 23, 21, 19, and 10. The ten-year-old is a cub scout and a soccer player, so that keeps me involved in some activity. I'm the mom who's reading on the sideline though.

Anyway...last night while I was sleeping my evil 21 year-old slipped into the house and made brownies. I'm committing not to eat one, and if I do, I have to come back and tell you guys. So now I won't.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Your weight gain sounds a lot mine that I talked about in my "hey fattie" thread. Congrats on the 5k. Was there a good turn out?

Originally Posted by almeeker
Um, I hate to ask, but what in the world is a "brazilian"?
Are you serious? Even I know this!

Originally Posted by quinnesec
That's a nasty image with my breakfast! LOL
Nasty? pfft

Originally Posted by Mern
Mike, bite your tongue. LOL
I did my best.

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Health/Fitness Goals...
1. 80oz water daily not just during the week M: Yes,
2. Walk on lunch M: Yes,
3. Exercise Weds-Sun (allow one day off)
4. No stuffing junk in my mouth mindlessly M: No,
5. No added salt on my plate M: Yes,
6. Limit one diet soda daily M: Yes,

Life Goals...
1. Fill out new patient forms for dentist for boys M: Done!
2. Mail ^ dentist forms T: Done!
3. Fill out insurance forms for boys M: Done!
4. Mail ^ insurance forms T: Done!
5. Fold laundry M: 4 loads,
6. Lotion on feet M: Yes,

Weekend Goals...
1. Clear closet of clothes I no longer wear
2. Plant flower bulbs in bed
3. Move hostas
4. Scoop leaves from pond
5. Regular housework for hubby's work weekend

Mike ... Waxing doesn't hurt all that much. Actually when I was a young teen a friend of mine and I thought that it would be a great idea to shave our arms along with our legs. So I did that for a while. Big Mistake! Now I have nice dark hairs on my arms. I wax them. .... I do self exams often. I can't do them too much though or I obsess. I have nodular breast tissue. That means that I naturally have small lumps and bumps in the tissue so it makes it hard to not feel something. TMI maybe? LOL ... Big Congrats on making it to $1000!!!
That much? Ha, nope. I'll take a needle in my back before I wax my legs. Grats on the goals!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

April, thanks for your kind words about my helping take care of my grandkids. Not much chance of my blowing away from drying up--my dust molecules would be heavy enough to hold me down. LOL Just kidding, I'm still over 200 lbs. but am very proud of how far I've come since joining FitDay. I didn't eat the 1/2 candy last night that I had "pre-logged" for the very reason you mentioned: I knew if I opened it, I'd eat the whole thing and that little half would have given me another RED number in my report--I'd have exceeded my calorie limit. So actually, I had another GREEN for not exceeding my sugar free candy limit. Aw, you handled the run-in with your son so well. I had one with my 10 year old granddaughter yesterday over her having the nerve to tell me "NO!" when I told her to come in the house. She had gone out to play after I told her to wait a minute because I needed her to help me with something for just a minute. I was fuming, but wouldn't give her the satisfaction of making me yell. I calmly walked outside and said: "Ok, you're going to act like a two year old, I'll TREAT you like one." I picked her up, (she's a skinny little kid-not heavy) and CARRIED her into the house as she yelled the whole way, "Put me down! Put me down! Put me down." I won--only because I'm more bullheaded than she is. LOL
Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, I was actually surprised at how WELL you held your tongue over the Brazilian. If ever there was an opening for you to get in some zingers, that was it. On your dad My dad used to joke that he had to walk to school five miles, barefoot in the snow. He walked about four blocks with shoes and rubber boots. Just yesterday I learned my 10 year old granddaughter actually thought I was born before cars were invented because I told her we never had school busses when I was a kid. She laughed when I told her we didn't have school busses ONLY because we lived just two blocks from school in a town with sidewalks and that there were cars WAY before I was born.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds almost like my evening Mern.

The dogs were wrestling. They make a lot of noise growling when they play. I told them to stop and walked away. Wasn't much concerned about it. I was doing laundry. Then he got in between them (can cause a problem but didn't) and once they were quiet he walked away and muttered "Stupid mutts" under his breath. I told him to turn off the video game. He couldnt' understand why. I said because they live here too and deserve respect. And the only reason he wanted them quiet is because he was playing online and couldn't hear in his headset. So he gets back on his headset and says " gotta go now cuz my mom's a bitch " I laid into him verbally and he attempted to leave the room. I grabbed his arm and was oh so close to slapping his mouth. I didn't do it though. I knew I would only feel bad if I did. Then he was mouthing more about the game and I just said whatever...do what you want and he turned the game back on. My hubby simply asked if I resolved anything and I said it wasn't worth my time. I just have to choose where to stand firm and where not to and I simply was probably over reacting to start with due to TOTM and deserved to be called a bitch but not by my 13 yr old son!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry I have been gone for soooo long. Fell off of the weight lose and gained some of my weight back. Though good news, I finally got a new job and making decent amount of money, so I can catch up with my bills. Luckily with this job is very physical that I am able to lose the weight a little bit easier than before.

Diet
1. Log everything
2. Take vitamins, fiber, and calcium
3. Try to lose 2 pounds
4. Go for a walk at least once
5. Do some crunches and weight lifting this week.

Non Diet
6. Clean the front room
7. Try to get an answer from work on request time off for Jan.
8. Start Christmas shopping
9. Do well at Trivia tonight.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Holy crap, ladies (and Mike!), you are so talkative.

So I am BACK from the wedding. It was fabulous, everything was fabulous, except I FORGOT MY CAMERA on the nightstand. I borrowed my sister's and the pictures are great, but I am harassing her to SEND ME PICTURES ALREADY. She said she has uploaded them but fell asleep before e-mailing them. While that sounds like an excuse, my sister does deal with chronic pain issues (migraines plus back issues from a car accident) and takes muscle relaxers before going to sleep -- they tend to knock her out in about 5 minutes, so it's actually a legitimate reason where she is concerned. I PROMISE I will get them up as soon as she sends them (hopefully tonight). I got my hair done and it was SO GOOD you guys. I wore my "Mad Men" dress and rocked it!!!!

Accountability: I didn't log a thing over the time I was home. I will say, however, that I think really didn't go overboard, all things considered. The night of the wedding, hors d'oeuvres (did I spell that right?) happened (lamb, chicken teriyaki, bread and lots of spread cheese...) but they were in small portions. I had two chicken-teriyaki-things-on-a-stick, one piece of lamb (which was DELICIOUS OMG so I stayed faaaaar away after that one), and three or four of the cheese-spread breads, I think, which were all about half-dollar sized. I also had some crackers, but no more than half a dozen. I had three glasses of chardonnay as well as the wedding food (chicken marsala) and 1.5 small pieces of cake. I also danced my behind off for the larger portion of the night when music was playing, so hopefully I burned off some of those cals!!!

Rest of vacation: My parents tend to cook big breakfasts, so I had eggs and bacon and/or french toast every morning (I stayed away from the sausage links), but the rest of the days home (other than the wedding) I was nibbling, since they tend to be grazers and there were no set meal times after breakfast. Some chicken drumsticks happened (I think I had like 4 drumsticks total) as did a cup of delicious clam chowder (but I was in Massachusetts and it was cold AND DELICIOUS!!!). I indulged happily in shrimp cocktail as well, but I felt fine about that. The one thing I reallllllly slacked on was my water. I also had more handfuls of M&Ms than a normal person should!

Despite feeling good about my eating, though, I'm not going to weigh in until Friday JUST IN CASE. Y'know, it's funny, every time I eat more than normal I somehow expect to look in the mirror and see the 50-lbs.-heavier version of me staring back at me, and it's always SUCH a relief when I don't! Hahaha! I wonder if my mental "fat image" of myself will ever truly go away.

BF and I are still low on money, but we will "make it work" for the rest of the week, and I'm going to expand my previously truncated goals back to their "normal" status for this week (I had left off protein and carb goals because of the money issues, and not buying proteins...). I'm also going to add in some sleep goals because it's been getting entirely away from me. I also loved one of Mike's goals about the snooze button, so I am STEALING it

Oh, also: We got $400 "Delta Bucks" on our way flying back -- our flight was overbooked (at 7:30 pm) and they asked for volunteers to give up their seats. The next flight (10:00) was fine for us, since it's only a 40 minute flight from Atlanta to my area of FL, so BF and I gave up our seats. We went to a bar and had some appetizers on Delta's dollar (they also paid for our dinner) -- we did get chips and nacho cheese, but meh, I had barely eaten all day! I will get $400 for waiting 2 hours EVERY TIME if offered. We can use that money to help us fly home for Christmas! Wahoo! We got on the 10:00 flight and all was well.

To all new people: Welcome!!! I'm Terri, and I talk too much

Weekly Goals

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals

1) Average weekly calories between 1200 and 1400. No single day above 1600.
2) Exercise 3-4 times this week
3) Achieve a calorie deficit of at least 4,500 calories. 5,000 calories would be better.
4) Average daily protein percentage of 25-30%
5) Average daily carb percentage of 45-50%
6) Sleep at least 7 hours per night. Aim for 8.
7) Hit the snooze button 2 times max
8) Weigh in on Friday (and only Friday)
9) Multivitamin Daily
10) 80-90 oz. of water daily

Other Goals

1) Start/maintain a job search spreadsheet for materials sent in/needed
2) Bring my "A" game every day to work
3) Make an effort on my appearance every day
4) Clean one room a day

Happy Tuesday everyone!!!

~Terri

Last edited by taubele; 10-18-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome back, chibisub!

Terri, sounds like you did great and had an awesome time! Looking forward to the pictures .
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, I totally know what you mean when you say that after eating a little much, you expect to look in the mirror and see the fat girl staring back at you (my paraphrasing ) It's nice to know that you can have an off day, or that you can indulge for a bit, without feeling like the world is going to end. I'm still learning that, but it will be particularly important, I imagine, when I get to maintaining my weight loss. Still a ways to go!

Well, I've dropped my long acting insulin by another 6 units. On one hand, that's great, but I wish I knew why my body just all of a sudden decides, for no apparent reason, that it doesn't want as much insulin as it used to. Anyway, it's a heck of a lot easier to stay on track with calories when I'm not treating low blood sugars every other second! So my last few days have been better than earlier last week. So, yeah... there's an update on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.