Community
Notices

I'm so discouraged I could cry.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default I'm so discouraged I could cry.

A little history: I began an exercise routine (cycling and aerobics) and dieting June 28th, at 155 pounds I began and have stayed with a caloric intake of no more than 1500 calories a day. The last two weeks I have been laid up due to an injury but still managing to lose 1.13 pounds a week.
As of today I have lost a total of 14 pounds, weighing in at 140.8, and when I took my measurements, I have found I lost an inch and it was in my calves! Seriously? I'm feeling so discouraged I could cry! I have managed to get my husband on board and he even went out and bought a bicycle to improve his habits as well. I'm trying hard to encourage him and myself when I am so discouraged at my own inability to lose inches.
Any suggestions, anyone? I know I'm indulging in a pity party here, but I really don't know what to do.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Are you able to add in weight training to your exercise regimen? Muscle is a lot more compact than fat, and the more you build muscle while losing fat, the quicker you will lose inches...
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

How did you take your measurements? Did you use the same tape measure, wear the same clothing or lack thereof? I can take my measurements 2-3 times the same day and get different measurements. Are you taking them at the same time of day, did you eat beforehand the last time? It's hard to imagine that you've lost 14lbs and haven't lost an inch. Do your clothes feel looser? If so then your measurements have gone down, weather or not you've measured them consistently.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
FitDay Member

Personally, I don't measure, and since I've moved (again!) I don't have any scales at home, so I just go by how my clothes feel, as well as the wristbands I wear, and my belt. If they start feeling looser I know I'm on the right track.
In saying that, as soon as I can get a scale I'll be getting one.

Like Almeeker says, it's hard to imagine you've lost so much but not inches. Regardless, hang in there! The more you do it the more you'll lose, even though it gets harder if you're not seeing results, so keep at it.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Alicia it sounds like you've been making really good progress so far just keep going. Weight loss is SLOW. It's a slow process. That's how it's supposed to be for your safety and health. If you're doing it for health reasons (which should be your primary concern, as if you don't have health you don't have much of anything else) then you should be happy that you are making slow but steady progress in dropping your weight.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:29 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you ladies for your replies, it was so wonderful to log in and read your much needed suggestions and encouragement. I was thinking of adding a kettlebells, for strength exercising and perhaps throw that stupid tape measure away!
Last year I stopped smoking after years and years, I felt it was now time to begin eating right and shape up so I can take on a flight of stairs without my legs feeling like they were going to crumple in a fiery heap and/or a need to call 911 to bring oxygen. I guess I thought if I could conquer these goals I should see lost inches.
Again, thank you again for the feedback, I feel so much better!
Good luck and best wishes!!!