Notices

Help! I've reached a plateau. :(

Old 07-09-2011, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Help! I've reached a plateau. :(

I haven't shed one pound in the last 2 weeks. For the past 2 Saturdays I've weighed myself in the morning to find the scale's stuck. Although I'm happy that I haven't gained, I have to admit I'm a little discontent. I'd made so much progress and it scares me to think I'll be stuck here forever.

In general, my diet plan consists of cuttin' back on carbs/sugars. I know I can probably do even better, but my deviations are really forgivable. A couple of grams over my goal carb intake for the day. So, yes, I'll try to be even stricter but I really don't think that's it and going lower is kind of unrealistic.

I haven't worked out in about a month, so I plan to get back to that starting next week. 20-30 min. of cardio a day, 4-5 times a week should do it.

What else could it be? Anything else I should be trying. I do have some homeopathic HCG stashed away. Should I try adding that as well? Perhaps try a bit of detox?

I've tried really hard to keep this journey as natural as possible, with no pills or concoctions. But I still want to lose 30 more lbs. Any suggestions?!
Old 07-09-2011, 12:38 AM
FitDay Member

Plateaus are normal and it's most likely related to your not working out in the past month. Despite the hype from certain diets, carbs in general are not a problem.
Empty calories are the problem.
2 grams over is nothing worth worrying about.
No one can regulate intake that closely.

Homeopathic anything is worthless. The principle behind it are the worse kind of junk science and borders on fraud.

Last edited by handcycle2005; 07-09-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Plateaus are normal and it's most likely related to your not working out in the past month. Despite the hype from certain diets, carbs in general are not a problem.
Empty calories are the problem.
2 grams over is nothing worth worrying about.
No one can regulate intake that closely.

Homeopathic anything is worthless. The principle behind it are the worse kind of junk science and borders on fraud.
So do you think I should maintain my daily carb intake goal? Or should I increase it? I actually started consuming less carbs in the last two weeks (on average) in addition to not working out. I'm guessing it could be either of the two or a combination. Perhaps I should go back to working out and allowing for more carbs.

I'm thinking I may also cut back on or eliminate my Cuban Coffee (espresso) intake. It's just that, gosh it gives me such a boost throughout the day.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

If you had good energy for your workouts and daily life, stay with that amount of carbs.

Working out is a part of dieting. The best results and the best for maintaining weight loss is a combination of diet and exercise.

There's nothing about coffee that affects weight(unless you load it with sugar or cream), keep it if you like.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, definitely get back to exercise. Other than that, the best way to bust a plateau is to confound your system. Change something up. Zig Zag your calories, change your macro ratios. Your body's just become accustomed to what you're doing and has adapted; wake it up.

Most importantly, don't give up! The scale will move again.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

What are macro ratios?

I think you're all right. I will definitely get back to working out come Monday.

The Cuban coffe though....it does have sugar. I will have to start taking it without sugar again.

I also heard that it might be helpful to trick my body by having a carb blow out, for 1 meal or day, then go back to the normal plan so it will shock tje system out of the plateau. Any opinions on that?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

Macro ratios=carbs/fat/protein % by calories

20-30% fat
15-20% protein
50-65% carbs
Old 07-09-2011, 04:34 AM
FitDay Member

Here's what I've heard about breaking a plateau, but I've not tried it myself:

- gradually increase your calorie intake slightly, while closely watching your weight. When you've added 500 cal/day OR gained 3lbs (whichever comes first), hold that calorie level for a few weeks. You are looking for a higher calorie count that let's you stabilize at your current weight.

- after a few weeks at this higher calorie count, go back to the lower count you've used for weight loss and you should see the weight start to fall again.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

@handcycle2005: thanks. i just didn't know the term! but u reminded me of a very important perspective.

@boolz: a few weeks!!?! OMG. LoL

i know, i know. i'm being impatient. but i think you also have a point. i'll be planning/scheduling all those changes tomorrow when i plan my weekly menu and exercise routine. I just wish I could be at my goal weight like RIGHT NOW. I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to some things. I hate long-term goals. :-\
Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

You probably are ready for a full diet break, which consists of 2 weeks of eating at maintenance and eating at least 100 grams of carbs a day. Dietary fat should be at about 20-25% of total calories during the break. After long, hard dieting your metabolic rate decreases and a break is needed to up-regulate your hormones again (definitely get back to working out, too). Read The Full Diet Break | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Great job so far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.