need motivation again >

need motivation again

Community
Notices

need motivation again

Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default need motivation again

hey all. i'm ok with my food intake. but i need motivation again to start working out again. i've been off the track with it for at least a month now. i used to go out walking everyday. but now i'm at home again in the country, so unless i drive somewhere im stuck walking on an old dirt road. and the other thing is that it's been cloudly and rainy 80% of the time lately.

and for doing indoor workouts i'm just too lazy to do it.

any tips?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

I too have a hard time getting into a workout routine, when I first started I was eager to get going so I went and bought a treadmill, but now it sits there not being used. The only way that I will exercise is if I can find something that I enjoy doing that gets me moving. When I am at the cottage I try to get out in a canoe or kayak, when the water gets warmer I will be doing alot of swimming.

What do you enjoy doing? How about going for a bike ride, or signing up for a dance class?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Heya, since you can't control the weather, seems like your workout options are: 1) walking in the rain (you could sing at the same time, even), 2) get thee to a gym or other structured indoor activity (such as dancing class, like dancinbear said), or 3) workout at home.

My bias is that I workout at home, and I do realize you said you were "too lazy" to workout at home, but I think you're better than that. Consider this: would you be willing to do some simple bodyweight exercises at home on the days that it's too crappy to go outside? It could be from 10-30 minutes - doesn't have to be a huge amount of time. Simple stuff - pushups, lunges, planks, crunches, etc. Just my 2 cents - but if you're consistent, you will definitely see some results, and you won't have to run in place or even put in a workout DVD if you don't want to. I've mentioned it before, but "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren is an amazing book that includes tons of exercises and modifications to increase or decrease difficulty, and different programs for people at different levels. And no, I'm not selling anything here - my only interest is in recommending something effective to you.

What it comes down to, same as ever, is that getting started on a workout is the hardest part! I wish you luck - remember that you are stronger than any excuse.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I walk rain, shine, snow, ice you name it. I would obtain some waterproof foot ware, a rain jacket and go. Now that's just me and I have to keep a set schedule--at Noon, I walk (well, jog now) no matter what. I don't think about it, I just go. That's my .02.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by yunalee
hey all.... i used to go out walking everyday. but now i'm at home again in the country, so unless i drive somewhere im stuck walking on an old dirt road. and the other thing is that it's been cloudly and rainy 80% of the time lately.
I don't know... walking on a dirt road in the country sounds like heaven to me .
There are a couple of tricks you could use:
1.) Just set a date... On Monday June 6th, I will start a regular walking program. Up until Monday the 6th you can do whatever you jolly well please. But once the date rolls around get up and get going before you get a chance to talk yourself out of it.
2.) Find a friend - cyber or real live - and make a date to do something. It could be as simple as driving to the nearest mall, park, downtown area (not sure how far into the boondocks you are) and walking.
3.) Start a gardening project. Believe me, digging, planting, the getting down and back up is great exercise.
4.) Decide "ah the heck with it" and just plan to drive to an exercise class or gym 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe it is really the social interaction that you need.

Don't let the day get too far along before you get outside. Many of us really need to get the exercize over with early in the day, or else the rest of our obligations catch up with us and the exercising just doesn't get done. Get up, get a cup of something to drink, pull on your walking clothes (and a rain coat if needed) and get yourself out the door.

Someone once told me that the best thing you can do on a rainy, dreary day is to get out in it. Otherwise you get all mopey sitting inside wishing the weather would change.

So out you go girl!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

I can see I am in good company if you want to call it that. I can't seem to get or stay motivated. I was doing okay with the morning bike rides, but the weather took over. The other thing is my wife gets home rather late from work, and I enjoy talking to her a few minutes before bed, but that disrupts that 7-8 hours sleep. So, the morning bike rides are few and far between now.

It is really bad when you have all the equipment and some will to do a workout, but choose not to. My diet has suffered lately also. Donuts and crap like that at work. Wife made a cake the other day. This crap is getting old. I will have a little more time come Monday until the end of summer, so I will do my best then also.

Just seems like I always get off to a strong start, and then it goes to waste.

Thanks for hearing me out.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 AM
FitDay Member

i guess thats the one thing i don't really have anymore is a workout buddy. it used to be my fiance, but he was able to reach his goal alot quicker than me, and so he stoped watching hi eatting as much and less excerise for him.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Yunalee, I'm right there with you. For about the past 3 weeks, I've really been in a slump and not really paying attention. If my co-worker and I didn't get out for our lunch time walks at least a couple of times each of those weeks, I'm POSITIVE I would have gained more than .5 lb! I worked out last night at home for the first time in about 2 weeks. It felt great, but I felt like I was back at the beginning again. I have 3.5 weeks to reach my 1st goal of being under 200 by my birthday. Hopefully by keeping that in mind it'll get my butt off the recliner at night!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

the one thing that always help get me back to being motivated enough is to just remember how horrible I feel now and when I don't work out or eat right. My body can definitely tell the difference now that I have been at it a couple of weeks. good luck because you CAN do it!