Notices

Protein recommendations?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Crimpet, can you get canned tuna? Low fat cheese, milk? Greek yogurt has a pretty good protein punch; can you get that kind?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:21 AM
FitDay Member

Have you tried dry beans? they are very high in protein and should be readily available. Just pre-soak and biol for 45 minutes with some onion garlic and any spices you link. Eat 2-3 cups per day for a boost in your protein intake.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

Cjohnson- We have tuna here, but if anyone were to see the price on it they'de have a heart attack. I can't wait to return to the USA because I sooo miss fish and $1 cans of Tuna. Here a can of Tunas price vs the average wage would be like if a small can of Tuna were $3-4 in the USA. It use to be my main protien source =S Lowfat cheese I may be able to find, and I would have to see about Greek Yogurt. The yogurt we have here is pretty thick with the cream on top too. I eat yogurt most of the day with my salads as a dressing, and I make strawberry frozen yogurt. If you have any other recipes of what to do with it, that'd be great =D

Waltrush, I totally forgot about beans! I avoided them here because my Mother in Law puts sooo much oil in hers, but if I make a separate batch it may work...bean dip sounds great right now..
Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Crimpet,
What about eggs? Some folks recommend using 1 egg white + 1 whole egg in a scramble or omlette to lower the fat.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Low fat dairy, particularly Greek yogurt, nuts, nut butters, some grains (especially quinoa), soy products (if you eat those), beef (again, if you eat it; just choose lean cuts and preferably grass-fed beef), and legumes are good sources of protein.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

You can buy liquid egg whites in the dairy case or egg section of the supermarket. Put them in a smoothie as long as you are making one. If not, you can add them to some skim chocolate milk, for example, if you drink milk. Then you get the calcium AND the protein. Liquid egg whites do not need to be cooked, and they are not stringy or gelatinous.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
FitDay Member

That's not quite the case, the protein in eggs isn't as bioavilable when raw.

Nuts (excepting peanuts) are a good choice all around nutritionally, as would be lentils and beans, just watch the serving sizes there as they're pretty calorie dense in general.

Other than that, get some quality whey protein in a flavor you like!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

Cottage cheese.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I will try some of them.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by theLiftingYeti
That's not quite the case, the protein in eggs isn't as bioavilable when raw.
100% liquid egg whites are 100% bioavailable. They are not raw, like the egg whites in the shell. They go through a heating process to neutralize the avidin found in raw egg whites.

They are perfectly safe to drink right out of the carton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.