Notices

Cooking Onions?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Cooking Onions?

I am working on eliminating as much oil/butter from my diet as I can and have a question for people about cooking onions. Does anyone simmer cut up onions in water or broth as opposed to frying? I am adding the onion to my cooked lentils and do not want the 100 cal from oil.

Thanks for your input folks!

Cheers,

Meggie
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

When I cook onions and don't want to use fat, I use cooking spray on the skillet and put the lid on as soon as I add the onions to the pan. The cooking spray keeps it from sticking and the lid traps in the moisture so they steam and don't dry out. I'd imagine using water or broth would be similar except I like to brown the onions a bit which wouldn't happen if you have too much moisture in the pan. Either way, I'm sure they would taste delicious and have little fat in them.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

I've used that same method, another way I like to do onions is sliced fairly thick, spritzed with a little cooking spray and tossed on the grill for a few minutes each side. I sometimes do 4-5 onions on the grill at one time and then dice them up and put them in the freezer for when I need some onions but don't want to cut up a whole bulb.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Great suggestions, thank you so much!

Meggie
Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Just wondering..are cans of cooking spray pressurized and if so do they hurt the ozone layer?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
I've used that same method, another way I like to do onions is sliced fairly thick, spritzed with a little cooking spray and tossed on the grill for a few minutes each side. I sometimes do 4-5 onions on the grill at one time and then dice them up and put them in the freezer for when I need some onions but don't want to cut up a whole bulb.
I do exactly this too!!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Meggietye
Just wondering..are cans of cooking spray pressurized and if so do they hurt the ozone layer?
I have a reusable spritzer you can fill with your own oil (I use canola), and it uses air to pump up the pressure for the sprayer. No harm, tasty, and easy!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default The cooking spray cans are safe

Originally Posted by Meggietye

The cans aren't hurting the ozone layer. If you are concerned, there are pump spray non-stick substances available.