Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Alright Coffee Lovers... >

Alright Coffee Lovers...

Community
Notices

Alright Coffee Lovers...

Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

I'm not sure where the advice to give up caffeine comes from but it should not affect weight loss and/or maintainance. Coffee has very few calories. I drink three cups a day and it does not seem to affect my weight though I have read --again not from documented reliable sources--that I need to drink more water to counteract the diuretic effect of caffeine. Enjoy your espresso machine!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 PM
FitDay Member

Smile caffeine rocks

I drink 3 cups of coffee every morning and it doesn't affect my weight. I use splenda and a splash of skim milk in it. Its my last vice so I'm sticking with it.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
I will not give up my coffee, but I do limit myself to not more than 2 cups a day. When I start stretching to 3 cups, I cut back for a while. I like creamer and sugar in my coffee, and I'm more worried about that than the coffee itself. I also like tea, and I don't limit that at all since I take my tea black. If I want a snack but I know I'm not really hungry, tea hits the spot nicely.

I have tried substituting my morning cuppa joe for tea, but tea just doesn't satisfy. Coffee's for getting ready to face the day, tea is for unwinding at the end of it
I 2nd the coffee at beginning of the day and tea at the end. I drink caffeine free tea at night around 8pm with zero calorie sweetener. I have been trying to limit to 2 cups of coffee a day but some days I lose track. I gave up sugar but not my non dairy creamer.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
FitDay Member

I'm so glad I'm not the only coffee addict out there!

I like my lattes, so I will do the 2 shots of espresso, about a cup of 2% milk and a little bit of raw sugar. I don't really enjoy the drip coffee, I'm sure that is less calories though. But I do need my caffeine in the morning, especially when most mornings involve a classroom of high school children
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

I would starve before I quit drinking my coffee! lol
I have cut back from 3 spoons of sugar to 1 WITH about a tbsp or so of flavored creamer. I grind my own Starbucks coffee beans every morning. 1-1 1/2 cups every morning, with the occasional cup in the afternoon. My justification, I drink A LOT of water.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

It's not so much the coffee itself that slows weight loss as all of the good stuff you put in your coffee like creams and sugars. I think after about 3500mg of caffeine your body doesn't really absorb anymore and it becomes waste material. I worked in a nursing home where we logged what each resident ate and drank and when they drank coffee we counted it as water so I don't know that you have to offset each 8 ounce cup of coffee with an 8 ounce glass of water either unless ALL you drink is coffee and you don't eat anything with fluid in it (fruits/veggies etc). Most people get water from the food they eat also. I think someone mentioned it here already but there have been studies done that a cup of coffee before a workout can boost your metabolism and make it more effective. I myself am a coffee addict but use Splenda and sugar free or fat free creamer or almond milk.