Notices

Need some advice

Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 PM
FitDay Member

Default Need some advice

Hi there like everyone else here i'm on a journey to lose weight.

i started to really try to lose weight back in july 10.

my highest weight recorded was 225.1 lbs i'm 5"3 and i'm now 21.

i joined fiday back near the end of aug, and it's helped me keep track of my weight.

i only sometimes track the food i eat because i find it hard to keep track of the suff i eat, mostly the things that are home made and would have no clue on how mnay cals the stuff would be.

but as of today i've lost a total of 18 pounds, currently weighing at 206.5 or so pounds

i've lost at least 4 inches off my tummy, yet i'm not quite at the point of needing new pants yet (i do have one pair that i pretty much have to hold up tho).

one probem tho is i haven't been doing any workouts the pass 2 months snice i'min college and i don't have much free time.

i onl have 2 weeks left befre the semester is over.

I'm mostly lookig for advice for when i start back again in jan what kind of things should i do to work out. I live in the schools res so i dn't even have to go outside to get to class so i can't get it by walking to school or parking my car farther away. and also i don't have any set time tables yet snice some days i'll be done at 5pm where as others i won't be done stuff till 10pm and i'm a person that likes to get there 7-8 hours of sleep a night.

i'malmost at my end of the year goal which is 205 pounds. but i'd liked to bearound 180 by the time summer starts so thats a total of about 28 pounds to lose wht should i do to get to 180 pounds by about may?

thanks for any help
Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Does your school have a exercise facility? Or better yet some IM team sports? When I was in college I was actually in really good shape because the gym was free and I went pretty regularly just to take a break from the books. I also played Volleyball on an IM team, which was hilarious because almost all my teammates were Chinese, so for the first time in my life I was the tallest girl on the team!

I completely understand about how each day is different, so it's hard to find a set time that works for the week. So why don't you analyze each day separately and find a 30 minute block to set aside for working out, then write it on your calendar or some such. It doesn't always have to be a workout either, maybe it's a walk to the bookstore or a lap around the building, just something to get up and moving.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Use anything for weights and start strength training sets for your upper body. Leg squats and lifts for your legs & backside. Crunches for your abs. (Body for Life has some demo videos online)

Also, maybe get a jump rope. Jumping rope for 5 minutes here and there will burn a lot of calories. If you live in a place with stairs, use the stairs as a workout minutes too.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with almeeker, just walking is a good start if you have been inactive. See if your school has a weight lifting class that you can take to fulfill a Physical Education requirement. The idea is to just do more than you have. I don't know where you are but winter weather can put a damper on outdoor activities. I read about a man who lives where they get lots of snow. He found a stairway he could use instead of being outside jogging. (He was in phenomenal shap.) Beside stairs are great for the glutes!

If your diet remains the same and you add physical activity on a regular basis you should be able to reach your goal easily.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

Recipe Calculator This is a recipe calculator that can help you get an idea of what's in your homemade meals. You enter the info, it spits out nutriton information. Open FitDay in a separate window and plug the data in as a custom food. It helps to put a measurement on the custom food, "whole recipe', "1 cup" for example. Then you can adjust for how much you ate, .25 of the whole recipe for example. A food scale really helps a lot, too. If you use one regularly, it helps train your eye so you can estimate portions much better when you're without it.
http://www.calorieking.com/ is a site I use to get info for restaurants, cafeteria food, and prepackaged stuff.

As for exercise, it doesn't have to be one big chunk of time. If you have 10 minutes until your next class, wander the halls instead of sitting by the door. Take stairs instead of the elevator. Jump rope is a great idea. A pedometer is a great tool, you can aim for a certain number of steps a day. Workout dvd's are awesome, if you have a laptop that will work to play them. You can usually find em cheap too in discount bins or places that sell used dvd's. Taking a gym class is great too, get school credit for working out . At this stage it's not so important WHAT you do, as long as you do something.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for all the replies everyone, i'm sure these tip will help me out. i already have a jump rope, and live on the 3rd floor ad take the stair already 80% of the time (sometimes i'm too lazy or have something big to carry. also find it sad that i see plenty of people take the elevator down when they don't have a heavy load, i mean come on it's only 2 flights of stairs ad going down is easier than going up)

and thanx for the website i'll be sure to take a look at it when i have time. my school does have a gym that i can use for free.

and how much time should i do some excerise in a day 30mins or an hour or more? (this also being 5 mins here 10 mins there)

i really hope i can get to 180 by like may, i haven't been that weight snice before i started working at a fast food join which was back in 07.

still looking for any other advice
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 AM
FitDay Member

Maybe you can organize a dorm "Biggest Loser" contest? Chances are that right around January 1st you will get LOTS AND LOTS of interest in something like that.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 AM
FitDay Member

30-60 minutes is a good place to start. If you can't manage much gym time, 20-30 mins of weight training 2-3 times a week is going to give you the most bang for your buck.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
FitDay Member

If you're doing continuous exercise, anywhere from 20-60 minutes is perfect. Less time if you're doing weights and high intensity work, or more time if you're doing steady cardio. Find what works for you.

If you're squeezing in time between homework/studying/classes and you can only get 5-10 minutes at a time, then don't worry about hitting an upper limit for exercise. Try to get a minimum of 30 minutes (that's 6 small study breaks) but you won't have to worry about overtraining or getting too fatigued if you're doing it in small spurts. One time I did 150 push-ups in a day by doing 15-20 every couple of hours. Your body can do a lot more when you break it down like that.

Good luck!