Notices

NO STOPPING US! in NOVEMBER 100+

Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

I feel funnt because I sit and stare at you stats Almeeker! I wish I could be losing weight as fast as you did. How did you start to lose the weight at 244? I am exercising 5 days a week and never did that before plus I am watching what I eat and yet still only waht? 21 pounds since the end of Feb!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:56 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by christineval
I feel funnt because I sit and stare at you stats Almeeker! I wish I could be losing weight as fast as you did. How did you start to lose the weight at 244? I am exercising 5 days a week and never did that before plus I am watching what I eat and yet still only waht? 21 pounds since the end of Feb!!!!!!
Exercise is great and you need every bit you can get when you're trying to lose weight, but are you changing it up? Keeping the muscles confused so they don't get lazy? Are you getting enough protein, especially right after your workout? Do you drink enough water? I swear by the water bit, it really really does work, 64oz/day baseline + 8oz for every 10 you want to lose. The other thing I swear by is getting my calorie pie as close to 40-40-20 as possible, 40% carbs, 40% proteins, 20% fats. Different pies work for different people, so you sort of have to play with that one. I've also discovered that I can lose at 1,600 calories or less, but between 1,600-2,400 calories I maintain no matter my calorie burn.

It's hard to describe exactly how I got started at 244, everything in my life was pointing me in this direction. DH and I had gotten each other an elliptical for Christmas, and the Wii Fit Plus we gave the kids called mommy "obese" and added love handles to my Mini Mii on Christmas morning (yes that was fun wasn't it?). Then a friend of mine organized a "Biggest Loser Couples" competition right around New Year's. DH and I signed up, and after he'd lost 8-9 pounds he'd reached his goal and really didn't want or need to lose more. So I told him that as long as he didn't gain any weight I would carry the team, I did, and we won second place. And I used the $112 prize money to buy myself some new jeans.

Another thing I've done religiously is to clean out my closet every step of the way. My wardrobe has been my constant hand patting enabler for years, but no longer, when something doesn't fit - out it goes. The local consignment shop LOVES me, and the people at Goodwill know me by name. Don't get me wrong I haven't spent a fortune on new clothing, I hit sales and buy sparingly. I also like to buy the occasional "encouragement" item. Right now it's a little black dress I bought to wear to DH's company Christmas party. When I bought it, I could get it on but it was a bit on the snug side. Now it's almost too big, so right after the party it's going to be on sale at the consignment shop. I only spent $38 on it, so it's all good, besides the consignment shop will probably get $40 for it, so I'll have $24 to spend at their place.

There were several other factors that have kept me going. During the Biggest Loser competition we attended a funeral for my BIL's father, who died from complications in part due to his extreme obesity. And while we were sitting at the wake dinner it occurred to me that I'm actually older than my BIL and his sister by 10-12 years. And I just couldn't imagine what my life would have been like the last decade without my folks, and all of a sudden I realized that I didn't want that to happen to my children. I think at that point I had lost maybe 30 pounds, and I decided right then and there I needed to get to a "healthy weight" which was a little less than 1/2 of what I had started at.

I could go on and on, I've met some amazing people along the way and had heaping mountains of encouragement and inspiration - especially from this site.

Last edited by almeeker; 11-29-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Exercise is great and you need every bit you can get when you're trying to lose weight, but are you changing it up? Keeping the muscles confused so they don't get lazy? Are you getting enough protein, especially right after your workout? Do you drink enough water? I swear by the water bit, it really really does work, 64oz/day baseline + 8oz for every 10 you want to lose. The other thing I swear by is getting my calorie pie as close to 40-40-20 as possible, 40% carbs, 40% proteins, 20% fats. Different pies work for different people, so you sort of have to play with that one. I've also discovered that I can lose at 1,600 calories or less, but between 1,600-2,400 calories I maintain no matter my calorie burn.

It's hard to describe exactly how I got started at 244, everything in my life was pointing me in this direction. DH and I had gotten each other an elliptical for Christmas, and the Wii Fit Plus we gave the kids called mommy "obese" and added love handles to my Mini Mii on Christmas morning (yes that was fun wasn't it?). Then a friend of mine organized a "Biggest Loser Couples" competition right around New Year's. DH and I signed up, and after he'd lost 8-9 pounds he'd reached his goal and really didn't want or need to lose more. So I told him that as long as he didn't gain any weight I would carry the team, I did, and we won second place. And I used the $112 prize money to buy myself some new jeans.

Another thing I've done religiously is to clean out my closet every step of the way. My wardrobe has been my constant hand patting enabler for years, but no longer, when something doesn't fit - out it goes. The local consignment shop LOVES me, and the people at Goodwill know me by name. Don't get me wrong I haven't spent a fortune on new clothing, I hit sales and buy sparingly. I also like to buy the occasional "encouragement" item. Right now it's a little black dress I bought to wear to DH's company Christmas party. When I bought it, I could get it on but it was a bit on the snug side. Now it's almost too big, so right after the party it's going to be on sale at the consignment shop. I only spent $38 on it, so it's all good, besides the consignment shop will probably get $40 for it, so I'll have $24 to spend at their place.

There were several other factors that have kept me going. During the Biggest Loser competition we attended a funeral for my BIL's father, who died from complications in part due to his extreme obesity. And while we were sitting at the wake dinner it occurred to me that I'm actually older than my BIL and his sister by 10-12 years. And I just couldn't imagine what my life would have been like the last decade without my folks, and all of a sudden I realized that I didn't want that to happen to my children. I think at that point I had lost maybe 30 pounds, and I decided right then and there I needed to get to a "healthy weight" which was a little less than 1/2 of what I had started at.

I could go on and on, I've met some amazing people along the way and had heaping mountains of encouragement and inspiration - especially from this site.
Well just know that you are amzing and I am happy to hear all about you lol. See I think of those things as well . Plus I have MS so my fear is that my husband would have to bath me or carry me which he cant should something happen to me. You would think that would work but no of course not. Plus I have an 8 year old boy and a 4 year old girl and a great DH.

I dont know what it will take and that scares me. I am really trying hard with the gym (5 days a week, 45 mins classes) but something is not working since I am not losing like I should be. I just joined a bootcamp and started it last night plus I went to my step class yesterday so I am hoping that this will give me a jump start. The bootcamp is only 2 days a week in the evenings for 1 hours.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 PM
FitDay Member

Well just know that you are amzing and I am happy to hear all about you lol. See I think of those things as well . Plus I have MS so my fear is that my husband would have to bath me or carry me which he cant should something happen to me. You would think that would work but no of course not. Plus I have an 8 year old boy and a 4 year old girl and a great DH.

I dont know what it will take and that scares me. I am really trying hard with the gym (5 days a week, 45 mins classes) but something is not working since I am not losing like I should be. I just joined a bootcamp and started it last night plus I went to my step class yesterday so I am hoping that this will give me a jump start. The bootcamp is only 2 days a week in the evenings for 1 hours.
You might want to talk to your doctor, I'll bet the MS plays a factor in weight loss, although I couldn't say how. Maybe it's a muscle tone issue? You've got a lot on your plate honey, it's okay that it's been slow going, as long as it's going right?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 AM
FitDay Member

Christine-Dont get discouraged, I am in the same boat with you. I exercise almost daily. I do pretty good with food most of the time and my scale is not being very nice to me! I am hovering around 212-213 for the last couple of weeks. I am not going to give up though. This is still very new to me. I am still learning about eating healthy. I will eventually find something that works to make the scale go down!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys! I am trying not to give up. I am getting a little scared though because now my knee's are starting to hurt so I am worried I might not be able to excerise much longer but lets see what happens I guess.

I am sooo excited there are only 3 weekends left until Christmas! Then Jan 12 I am off to Dominician with my Dh and kids for the first time!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

Hi ladies...wow lots of inspirational stories! I am humbled by you all...
I'm actually taking a different approach this time. Last year, I lost 35 lbs and kept most of them off. Then gained 20 lbs in a week this fall from hormone treatments for female problems...then another 5 from a 3rd hormone treatment change...

So I decided not to panic...I had no choice since I had become quite ill from anemia.
I discovered Fitday on Nov.16th and decided to just document my food. The week before I read about caloric cycling and thought it would be a good idea to change up the calories every day.

So the 1st week I lost 1.6 lbs and then the rest came down over 5 lbs in total...the only thing I did, was eat more if my calories dipped under 1600 and tried to stop around 1900. I ate pretty much whatever I wanted and still lost...that is a first for me...except for when I was pregnant...I lost more than 20 lbs and ate A LOT but healthfully.

So I discovered 3 things: I lost as much as I usually do on a 1200 restrictive diet, I have more energy and I am not obsessing...

I have been interested in h-hcg drops to accelerate the beginning of my journey but it is so difficult to get here.

So, I blew the dust off an old Curves book and am thinking about their carbohydrate-sensitive plan. Many of the carbs (=veggies) are free so I may find it easier. Also I found some tapioca rice noodles at a Vietnamese grocer and this particular brand is 20 cal and 3g carb per serving and they are filling.

So I have decided to try and take it slow and see what happens.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM
FitDay Member

Hola, Bobbi, it sounds like you are off to a great start to a healthier life, so congratulations are definitely in order! It's awesome that you haven't given up on healthy habits despite some health issues - I hope you are feeling better and the medication issue has been worked out. I don't want to be a negative Nancy, but there were a couple things I read in your post that got me rather concerned... If I'm reading your post correctly, you've lost 5# in 2 weeks - which is fabulous! What concerned me, though, is that you mentioned having more energy and not obsessing, but yet were interested in changing your diet or going for the HCG drops. I have to say that my gut response was, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" However, I do understand wanting to play around with different food/lifestyle approaches, so hey, if the low-carb thing works, run with it (but I would advise to carefully research any food plan). The other half of my 2 cents, and I'll try to tread lightly here, is that the HCG diet is exactly that - a 'diet,' not a permanent lifestyle change and therefore you will not achieve permanent results with it. Ok, maybe that's not really treading very lightly; my aim is not to cause offense (bias alert: I have strong opinions against this HCG business). In short, as you said, "taking it slow" is the best way to go. Think of weight loss like the tortoise and the hare - I know it's an oft-used expression to describe weight loss, but it is so true. I wish you all the luck and motivation in the world.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Change for your input!

First of all the Hcg was more of a curiosity and it is short term...as for the lower carb, I've done SB before and it didn't do too much for me. The Curves plan is a bit different...phases to boost your metabolism...eventually you eat more carbs...when you reach your goal...you add even more. If your metabolism is working right you may only need 1-2 "adjustment" days per month, similar to what my naturally slim friends do: "Oh I over did it a couple of days, I need to get back on track".

If that doesn't work, then I will just do my best to eat healthfully.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
FitDay Member

Bobbi - I gotcha - didn't mean to 'mother' you. Keep us posted as to your results!
Hope everyone's week is going well; holy smokes, it's December tomorrow - that's crazy! Keep fighting the good fight and be well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.