Notices

A new day!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by gmantych
Wow, that is great! What type of diet/exercise plan have you been using? I would love to hear any suggestions you may have!
Hi. I basically try to stay under 1500 calories and eat more protein and complex carbs while watching fat. Now that I'm down to a semi-reasonable weight (though I suppose anything over 300 is not all that reasonable, it IS better than being over 400 any day ;-) I've started walking every day. I'm up to a mile in 20 minutes now during my lunch break. I also do Wii Fit on weekends, now that I am under the 330 lb. weight limit of the Wii Fit board.

As others have said, for long term success, this really has to be a lifestyle change. Also, in the past I have engaged in the "all or nothing" thinking trap--one slip and the whole day/week/month would be shot. I now recognize this trap and should a "bad" day happen, I am right back on track immediatly.

Again, welcome to FitDay and the forums and best wishes on your journey to health!

Michael
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 PM
FitDay Member

Aww thanks gallusgal, you're so sweet.

Yep, I think the above is all great advice. I think it was Oprah that said something to the effect that we usually keep promises to others but we rarely keep promises to ourselves. So I've promised myself that I'm going to be "healthy", which I find much easier to strive for than "skinny" or "thin", and this time I'm not going to let myself down.

One of my best friends is a nutritionist and she said to me that it's all about habits, if you have skinny habits you'll be skinny, and if you have fat habits, you'll be fat. Then she suggested that I write down what I ate, where I ate it, what I was feeling/doing/thinking when I ate, and to keep track of it for 3-4 days. According to her we're such creatures of habit that we tend to not think about what we're doing, especially when it comes to food. Let me just say that after following that advice, I had a much better idea of where I was habit-wise and it gave me a really clear idea of how to make some improvements.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by arod1230
Today is my first day on the site also but have been doing atkins for 3 weeks now and have lost 11 lbs. My clothes actually fit. Now I only have 70lbs to go.

Anyone with advice, please share. I am excited to get back to normal where I was 5 years ago. One of the set backs of being married to a chef LOL.

GOOD LUCK to ALL !!
Wow, sounds very similar to my situation. Although my husband is not a chef, he does do all the cooking (I did it the first 20 years, now it is his turn).

I am also new to this site. I started Atkins Induction Oct 28 and have been trying to find others in here that are using that programme. I still find it confusing sometimes when it comes to figuring out what and when to eat, but I intend to stick with it. I have at least 65 lbs to lose, and would prefer 70-75. I am not sure if I have lost any weight yet, as my scale is wonky and needs to be replaced.

I hope we can touch base once in awhile to update our progress.

Best wishes to you and everyone in the forum.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys..thank you gallusgal..GREAT advice!