Notices

2013 Year End Challenge! Who's with me?!?!?!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all!

baxtman - I love high intensity interval training (HIIT)! Bill Philips didn't invent this type of training, although I know he used it in his Body For Life program. I'm so envious that you can burn 500 calories in only 20 minutes! I suppose that's an advantage being taller than we shorties Great advice on using HIIT to turn it up and bust a set point. I couldn't agree more!

Another great tool for doing HIIT (when not using cardio equipment with a timer on it), is a Gymboss interval timer. You can find them on amazon.com. With the gymboss timer, you set the time and number of intervals. For example, 30 seconds work, 10 seconds rest for 40 rounds. Press the start and it beeps, do your cardio of choice for 30 seconds, it beeps again, you rest for 10 seconds, beeps again and you get back to work. This is a handy little tool to have when you exercise outdoors away from a clock.

Another piece of equipment I can't live without is my Polar heart rate monitor. Again, you can find these on amazon.com. I takes into account your age, gender, how hard your working (heart rate) and gives you an accurate number of calories burned. For me, it's extra motivation to try to beat my personal best and allows me to accurately know how many calories I've burned.

One more thing, even if you don't own any equipment, you can still do HIIT workouts. You can find interval timers for free on the internet or free apps for your iphone (should you be fortunate enough to have one ). The circuits you can create are endless! You just have to think about cardio moves that you like...anything that gets your hear rate up. Here's an example:

10 seconds rest, 30 seconds work for 18 rounds (12 minutes total)

1. jumping jacks (not hard enough? try star jumps)
2. high knees (not hard enough? do high knees with a jump rope)
3. burpees (not hard enough? do burpees with a push up at the bottom and a jump at the top)
4. rear lunges (not hard enough? do jump lunges)
5. squats (not hard enough? do squat jumps)
6. box step ups alternating legs (not hard enough? do box jumps)

repeat these 6 exercises 2 more times for a total of 18 rounds in 12 minutes. Don't forget to push as hard as you can during your 30 seconds work. By the time you hit the 12 minute mark you should be sweating and feel like you had a good workout, so you really have to push yourself.

Can you tell fitness is my passion?

I'll check back in later with my workout of the day.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all Checking back in with my workout for the day....a 45 HIIT workout on the elliptical. Another awesome workout!

12 Weeks, 84 days...84 workouts
Week 1, Day 1 - yes
Week 1, Day 2 - yes
Week 1, Day 3 - yes
Week 1, Day 4 - yes
Week 1, Day 5 - yes
Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 PM
FitDay Member

Good morning Checking in with my daily workout. This one was crazy! An intense 1 our and 15 minute interval workout...mixing up body weight exercises and jump rope! Killer!

12 Weeks, 84 days...84 workouts
Week 1, Day 1 - yes
Week 1, Day 2 - yes
Week 1, Day 3 - yes
Week 1, Day 4 - yes
Week 1, Day 5 - yes
Week 1, Day 6 - yes

Have a great day everyone
Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default update

Hey guys,
Thank you for being out there. I have been stuck at the same weight for four days, and if it wasn't for you I would probably slip. There is a lot more to it than just losing weight, but I am really ready for the scale to move. I noticed that my percent of bodyfat measurement is dropping. I have been so good. Just doing about 12-1600 cal a day.
SW 217.5
CW 212.5
GW 200 by 12/25
We will see. I want to stay the course no matter what. I really want to hit this mark. Words of encouragement are welcome.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM
FitDay Member

I am doing well but the scale isn't moving.
Exercise:
84: Friday - Yes
83: Saturday - Yes
82: Sunday - Yes
81: Monday - Yes
80: Tuesday - Yes
79: Wednesday - Yes
We can do this.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default Great idea!

I was thinking the same thing- I get so mad in the gym on Jan 1st when there are people coming out of the woodwork. I don't want to be the cliché January dieter. I am going to try to lose 2 pounds by new years.

Currently 160
Height 5'6

Goal 158

Then I do 2 pounds in Jan...and so on...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

baxtman and libby- We got this! We're in this together! I know how frustrating it is to be putting in the work and not seeing it show up on the scale. We all have that happen to us...repeatedly...honestly! Just know that if you stay the course, the scale will eventually catch up! If you give up now, you'll not accomplish anything and eventually you'll be back here to start all over again. Don't give up! We can do this together!

Remember, the number we are all personally aiming for on NYE is just a number! If we don't set goals, then we have nothing to work towards. IF we don't hit that goal, it doesn't mean we've failed...it simply means it will take a little longer to hit that goal. I'm saying this as much to all of you as I am to myself. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to shed the pounds only to give up. It feels worse to give up than it does to keep pushing past plateaus. You know it and I know it

Welcome to our little challenge Asparagus! Glad to have another on board with us!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

It is now December and as I look back on the year I see what I have accomplished. I am 27 pounds lighter and am wearing clothes that haven't fit me in years. My blood pressure, blood sugar and colestrol have all improved.
I have changed the way I eat. I cook for three men and I was eating the way that they do. I had to cut back on the portion sizes and cut out some foods altogether. I had to get more active and now I enjoy exercising. Even though I have a long way to go to get to my goal weight I didn't give up. I probably won't get to my goal in 2014 or 2015 but I will get there as long as I work at it.
Never give up.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM
FitDay Member

I think I did the same over the years Libby...eat as much as my husband that is. At our short stature, that's not a good combination!

Congratulations on all you have successfully accomplished this year! That is inspirational! I've only been at this for 3 months...just now in my fourth month. To make changes and keep at it for a year is admirable to say the least. Kuddos!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

HI everybody!

Baxtman thanks for breakdown.... I will def try it on the treadmill
Libby awesome job girly..that's really good!
Debbie- good info as well you typed up
Asparagus- join us on the Friday weigh-in Thread as well...would love
to see you there too...2lbs is very attainable by Jan

Tues - done
WEd- I'm about too

Yea we all fall short...but the thing is , if you slip 1 day or 1 week...you just
cant give up!! just jump back on the bandwagon
Set yourself a mini goal and strive to reach it...YES WE CAN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.