Notices

exercises that will focus on the baby belly?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Default exercises that will focus on the baby belly?

I have some problems doing exercises that involve getting down on the floor (ie crunches) as I have some problems with my back and my pelvis. I am allowed to do any exercise 'that doesn't hurt' according to my doc.
I am looking for exercises that work on the stomach while standing up. I have lost quite a bit of weight so far, (and about 8-10kg to go) but the top half of my stomach, (above the belly button) still hangs over the belly button, and the bottom half is not pretty either! lol.
I was told by a physio that the core muscles that support the pelvis and hold your stomach in have 'switched off' after having my daughter and never turned back on?
Any advice on exercises to target these areas please?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by nichaleh
I was told by a physio that the core muscles that support the pelvis and hold your stomach in have 'switched off' after having my daughter and never turned back on?
Huh? Unless you really damaged those core muscle, they are still very much with you. You may just have to work a little harder. Most likely a part of your "problem area" as they like to say, is stretch skin. And that will take a while to recover, but at your age that should happen.

Two suggestions - as you probably know "spot reducing" for fat reduction doesn't really work. While strengthening your core is really, really important for lots of things, aerobic exercise is the key to shedding the layer of fat hiding those core muscles. Walking, running, biking, rumba, step classes, anything that gets your heart rate up for 30 minutes or so (the longer the better - but don't push it if you aren't used to it) will really help you trim down all over - including your tummy.

The second thing is a skin lotion, or some sort of topic lotion that will nourish your skin, to help it regain the elastin. Don't get me wrong, it won't help you lose weight, but it will help the texture and appearance your tummy.

At 55 (almost), I am post menapausal, and skin tone/loss of elastin is one of the problems with weight loss in older women. I have a pretty trim little body these days, but I ain't wearing no bikini any time soon! The tummy may be flat, but the skin hasn't figured that out yet!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Nichaleh, I have been in your position..and there is hope! I too can't do regular core work so I took the baby outdoors and walked and walked and walked some more..broken up into as many trips as necessary

I then discovered Jill Johnson who took my poor sick body and transformed my life. I did her tapes (now dvd's!, I am dating myself lol) Her program is called, "Oxycise", and you don't jump around and sweat buckets. I keep going back to her because she is gentle, it takes 15 min, and it works . For people who can't workout on the floor she has her, "Easy Does It" series which you do in a chair/standing. I do 2 dvd's back to back 5 days a week, it is just my routine and I love it. If you google 'Oxycise with Jill Johnson' there is a website with all you will need to know about exercise and oxygen. There are lots of new/old Mom's who have come thru..must be a good reason!

Cheers,

Nancy
Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Belly exercises..

Originally Posted by nichaleh
I have some problems doing exercises that involve getting down on the floor (ie crunches) as I have some problems with my back and my pelvis. I am allowed to do any exercise 'that doesn't hurt' according to my doc.
I am looking for exercises that work on the stomach while standing up. I have lost quite a bit of weight so far, (and about 8-10kg to go) but the top half of my stomach, (above the belly button) still hangs over the belly button, and the bottom half is not pretty either! lol.
Hi - I have been doing the Hip Hop Abs videos. They are a blast and you are dancing, which for me doesn't seem like working out. They don't work as quickly as strength training or just crunches, but it does work. During the whole video you are constantly contracting your abs and obliques.

As I said, it is not as quick, but it is fun and works for me. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM
FitDay Member

Losing the belly fat is tough, but when you do you'll be on your way to feeling more energized. Instead of worrying about floor exercises you should walk as much as possible, when you feel fine then go to jogging and when you're fine with that then run. It is the best way to shed the pounds.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 PM
FitDay Member

Well, just aim for a brisk 20-minute walk every day to burn fat and exercises to help tone your abdominal muscles.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there

As already mentioned by mmbrown74, HipHop Abs should really help you, again it's more dance type moves (nothing to serious so far, routines wouldn't be my strong point!), but best of all there's no crunches or sit-ups, it's all standing and fun!
Best of luck!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Here's a personal favorite of mine for standing abs workout

FAST FLAT STOMACH WORKOUT standing abs - YouTube

And as others have said, cardio exercise to lose overall body fat will help get your tummy area back in shape. I know many have suggested walking, but I think more vigorous exercise will help you lose the body fat quicker. If impact workouts don't work for you, the elliptical is a great alternative. I can burn the same amount of calories on the elliptical as I can running...according to my heart rate monitor. Whatever you chose to get your sweat on, challenge yourself!

Best of luck!