Notices

Finally succeeding in cardio...so proud of myself!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default Finally succeeding in cardio...so proud of myself!

I've always HATED cardio, always preferred weight lifting. I've always tried to start jogging but after a week or two I realize how much I hate it and how much it makes my joints hurt and I've given up.

Sorry again for this shameless post, I just couldn't contain myself! If anyone has any tips on how to comfortably get from the 1/2 mile to 2+ miles I'd greatly appreciate it...I'm a complete novice and could always use advice as well.

Last edited by burtsr7; 05-15-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Want to get rid of personal info about me
Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 AM
FitDay Member

Your success story gives motivation to others. You should be proud of yourself. Great Job
Old 06-30-2013, 01:53 AM
FitDay Member

That's wonderful! Jogging only gets easier with practice!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

That is great Burtsr7! Great job. After I reach my halfway point of weight loss, I plan on adding a goal of jogging. Eventually, I would love to start running everyday. Small steps/goals to obtain the ultimate goal is a great way to be successful. Thanks for the inspirational post.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

That's awesome! I also used to hate running but slowly started to build up my mileage and it got easier. I ran a full marathon last year and I thought I would never do such a thing, but I did it.
Just keep at it, I find the first 2 miles can be a lil rough until the body warms up and it gets easier from there (well, sort of..)
Currently I've been running on trails along the river and running on the street is way too boring for me,I'll occasionally hit up the tredmill, but once again, way too boring.

Once you feel confident with running 3 miles, enter a 5k race- that's how I got started, racing is a lot of fun and addictive.

Good luck & Congrats!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
FitDay Member

hiiii
success story is a good success !
lose weight fast is a problem
with exercise and motivation you can fast fit

Last edited by eumar83; 07-03-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: more ideas
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 PM
FitDay Member

Hi burtsr7! Congrats on achieving that! I enlisted in the Royal Australian Air Force last November and had fitness issues the entire time through recruit training. The most important thing I found was simply stick with it.
Keep pushing yourself.
I also hate running, but I'm currently nursing a knee injury, and cursing it, because I really want to start running - ironically, because I hate it!
Just keep with it and you'll see the benefits. Good luck with it all, and do let us know how you get on!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default You Deserve to Brag!!!

You're doing awesome and you're going about it exactly right! Just keep going! Slowly -- very slowly -- jog more and walk less. Especially because you mentioned your joints hurt, it is important to take it slow. Your body needs time to adapt or you will injure yourself, which will set you back (I learned this the hard way).

When I first started I mostly walked, I could only jog for a minute or two at a time, and I didn't like it much either. It was just so painful and hard! Everything hurt. A whole mile would've been out of the question. But slowly I started being able to jog for longer, and needed less time walking between bursts of jogging. At some point I started being able to jog a half mile. Then 3/4 mile. Then a whole mile, and... you get the picture!

Now I run 6-8 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, and I actually enjoy it. If I don't run my legs start to feel like they are just itching to stretch out. I can even do long runs of 10-14 miles if I have the time.

Just... keep... going!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats! That sounds great!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Banned

That's wonderful! Jogging only gets easier with practice!